5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on all levels!
I'd never heard of Robert Kirkman or his ongoing comic series The Walking Dead but I've always had rather a soft spot for zombies, bless 'em, so when Amazon recommended Book 1 I gave it a shot & was utterly glad I did! This is by far the most exciting, fun, gory & thought-provoking series I've seen in a long time!

If you haven't heard of The Walking Dead...
Published on 25 Nov 2009 by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars Art that is average at best but a brutal, shocking storyline and a great concept
I beg to differ from the rave reviews - my main gripe being the artwork, which is average at best and in many cases I found it difficult to recognise key characters. The opening chapter's art work is pretty good but I am no fan after that... The story line is great though, daring, shocking and good fun. The characters are great and those who are fans of the tv series...
Published on 2 Nov 2011 by Asmodeous

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on all levels!, 25 Nov 2009
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)

If you haven't heard of The Walking Dead before, it opens with small-town cop Rick waking up from a coma in a deserted hospital, to find that the area has been overrun by the living dead. Like the beginning of 28 Days Later, this puts us straight into the action without having to summarise how this came about. Anyway, Rick heads to Atlanta to look for his family, only to find it's one big zombiefest. He soon teams up with some other survivors & since military rescue doesn't seem to be forthcoming, they set about clearing the zombies out of the local prison, so they can set up camp there. This echoes the shopping mall in Dawn Of The Dead.

In theory, that would be a good plan, as they have fences & high walls to keep out the undead. In practise, these people are traumatised & constantly surrounded by danger, so tend to implode during lulls in the action, when they have too much time on their hands to contemplate the madness around them. They also find that there are other survivors out there & not all of them are friendly - after all, a key dynamic in George A. Romero's classic zombie flicks was always conflicts among the living - particularly in Night of the Living Dead.

Because believable characters are so important, this series would only work if it was incredibly well written - and it is. Kirkman is incredibly economical, fitting a huge amount of character development into brief lulls in the action. He's brutally unsentimental, too, fleshing out characters in interesting ways & then suddenly killing them off. No one is safe - he proves time & again that any character can be killed off at any time. That really makes this series work.

This collection covers #1-48 of the comic, also reproduced as #1-8 of the softcover trade paperbacks & #1-4 of the hardcovers. This is only the first part of the story but it ends at the completion of a major storyline, so can be read as a complete book in itself. This collection is incredibly good value, too - this material would cost around 70 if you bought the hardcovers, around 55 if you bought the softcovers. The only problem with it is that it's hard to resist the temptation to read great chunks of it in one sitting & see hours race by!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, enormous, 30 May 2009
Richard Webb "Dr Richie" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
Not much more needs to be said than this collects volumes 1-8 of Robert Kirkman's superb Walking Dead series. At over 1000 pages this is a zombie epic, with terrific black and white graphics, understated dialogue, outstanding characterisation, an ever evolving cast, gruesome deaths, peppered with some fantastic plot twists. I am not a Zombie comic fan, but this compendium is irresistible. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars We are the Walking Dead!!!, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
It has been ages since a TV show grabbed my attention. I burned through the first season and waited for the second, completely oblivious to the fact that it was based on a comic book still running strong till a friend told me. I hesitated ordering it till the finale of Season three of the TV series thinking that the book would spoil it for me but I did and to my shock, the book is different when it comes to the storyline. True, the characters are the same and some of the settings (like the prison and the farm - these two are in the book as well) but what they go through in the books are different from what they suffer in the series. For those out there thinking the books or the TV series would spoil the other, you are wrong. At the time of writing this, the two are not completely related except the characters.

With that out of the way, the book does a splendid job of juggling between zombies chomping and human brutality in a world where the living come back from the dead. Different characters have different back-stories that just doesn't make them extras in a book but a person you 'may' relate to.

One thing I may add here which I don't think a lot of reviews have touched here. The storyline is not for the weak of heart. There are underlying tones of suicide, torture, rape and many other crude stuff. This is certainly not the kind of book you would buy for your 13 year old nephew or grandson. Characters change and develop when they go through such horrors and how they overcome (or don't) is something that makes this book unique.

As for the compendium itself, its a collection of first 49 issues of the comic series still running strong. Its an excellent value for money. The book itself is split in chapters (not issues) so you won't be disturbed with pages that say 'End of issue One' that goes up to 49. Its a neatly compiled book gives you necessary breaks between chapters for you to catch your breath. On the service side, the condition of the book was neat, clean and the delivery was fast.

Overall, an excellent book for adults that is excellent value for money, considering you are not paying for 49 comic issues but one. Recommended for all mature comic book readers out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Storytelling!, 19 Mar 2011
W. Gillies (Scarborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
I'm not a fan of zombie stories. Let's face it, zombies tend to be one-dimensional creatures and once you've seen one... well, what more can you say about them. The real strength of this story is the post-apocalyptic survivalist scenario. Ordinary people trying to deal with extraordinary circumstances and the greatest horror comes not from the zombies but from other human beings. We don't learn how this apocalypse happened or why a few people didn't become zombified. The focus is on the personalities, their conflicts with each other and their efforts at survival. It takes you into it like a good movie and it is very hard to put down. With 1000 glossy pages of black and white art that shouldn't be a problem! If you want to immerse yourself in some gripping storytelling then try this. Maybe I've been a little mean in not giving it 5-stars. It doesn't quite have that extra bit of magic for me that would take it into the exceptional realm. It is simply a very very good piece of story-telling and after the 48 issues collected here I'd like to know where the second Compendium is...

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolutely fantastic book, that will have you annoyed your not reading fast enough, 31 May 2010
Mark Rushton - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
a friend recommended me this book and i was unsure about whether to buy it as it had 1000 pages i didn't know whether it would hold my interest throughout. after reading the first few pages, i was hooked i couldn't put it down and ended up reading the whole thing in a week. it is an amazing book that really goes in to what life would be like in a zombie apocalypse with unbelievable realism and there are points that will force you to stop reading to really think about what is happening to the characters you have become so attached to. i cant recommend this more to anybody that is a fan of graphic novels or zombies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bloody and Beautiful!, 3 Jan 2010
Galliworm (Warrington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
This is one amazing book! Over 1000 pages of engrossing zombie apocalypse, with characters you actually care about! Highly recommended, whether you are a comic book fan or not (this is only the 3rd comic book I have ever read). If you're a fan of all things zombie, you will absolutely love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read with great graphics, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
I was a fan of the programme first and so bought the compendium to see how things were originally planned. I really enjoyed seeing the original graphics and comparing the differences between those and the TV programme. I preferred some elements of the programme over the graphic novel and vice versa so somewhere between the two is the perfect story. I know the story is supposed to be all about society crumbling rather than overcoming zombies, and I think the graphic novel shows that more than the TV programme.

Compendium 2 arrived today - can't wait to get stuck in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Was given this for Christmas, it's one of the best graphic novels I've ever read, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
I was already up to season 4 of the TV series when I got this and from the very 1st page I was hooked. The general story and the characters in my opinion are far superior to the TV series; including the whole sequence of events involving Woodbury and the Govenenor. I also prefer the way they portray Rick and Tyresse in the comic, although it's a shame there isn't any character like Daryl from the TV series that was the only surprise for me. All in all this is something I highly recommend for any fan of the series (comic or TV) and it's now at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best comic ever!, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
Now if your just looking at this and having a browse at the reviews. Please don't think twice about buying it, just purchase it straight away. If I could give more than 5 stars for this I would. This isn't just a zombie story as you've probably heard before this is evidently based around the survival group's struggle to survive in this treachorous world, how they feel about it and how the characters are forced to bond with each other willingly to survive. After you've read it for a while you'll find out that it's not the zombies that you have to be scared of but the people around you. Which you will see in one of the major story arcs which is a turning point in this comic for character development.

Just buy it, it's the best thing to come out of comics in a long time and even if your not a comic fan just go ahead and buy.

Trust me' it'll be one of the best things you'll have ever read and you won't regret it. I hope this review helps you and persuades you into buying you because I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and as much as I still do now. There's much more to read out of this brilliant series. There are two hardcovers out continuing from this (those being Volume 5 and 6 and an upcoming volume 7).

So go on buy it, you know you want to. Go ahead you won't regret it

:D

5.0 out of 5 stars Best (horror) comic ever !, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 (Paperback)
One one the more enthralling and thrilling comic I've ever read, it's really a huge catch for me ! And even though the book is quite heavy it's good to have the whole 1000 pages to devour (I read the whole book within 4 days). The balance between action (mainly zombie slaughtering, but never boring) and the development of the characters is perfect and hook the reader to the book. I really recommend it to anyone keen in graphic novels.

The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 by Robert Kirkman (Paperback - 19 May 2009)
31.50