4.0 out of 5 stars nice book
This is a collection of designs by different people, some of which have crafty blogs already out there. (Elsie Marley springs to mind)
After the introduction, the format is basic:Image of creation. Short intro to item. Short creator Bio & web address. Required items & then a how to with good clear instructions. x 24

Most projects are linen based...
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by Mrs. B. Handford

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed
I was disapointed because 1, many of the projects are very basic, but mainly because the explanations are not only not very clear, but even sometimes inaccurate. For example, i made a zip organiser page 50, and there's a mistake (misprint?)on top of page 51, the 2 rectangles of interfacing need to be 11x8 nOT 11x18 as printed!.

I also tried to make the boxes on...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by babette

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy (Design Collective) (Paperback)

I also tried to make the boxes on page 109, but it is not at all clear how you construct the boxes.

Like many recipe books, these instructions only really work when you have already made the item and know what you're doing! Grr, frustrating!

2.0 out of 5 stars A book with not many original projects, 1 Mar 2012
I felt quite disappointed with this book. I had readed good reviews about it, but I found that its projects were rather simples (pouches, pincushions, pot holders...). The only original projects are the ones from the cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool style, simple projects., 12 April 2012
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I ordered this mostly going by the front cover and the name of the book. I wanted a book of sewing projects that would be fun and imaginative and relatively easy to sew. I don't have a huge amount of experience with sewing so the 'easy' bit was important to me.

The book contains 24 projects: things like simple tote style bags, a pincushion, pencil case, table mats, a photo frame and a box. I didn't expect to say this but I was disappointed that the projects are by and large, too easy! There are a few things (like a zip organizer and a handbag) which are more complex and require more time and concentration but all in all, the projects are really straightforward. This is not a bad thing as if you're a beginner, you would want simple projects. The problem is that as a beginner, you would really benefit from diagrams or photos that visually show how to do everything step by step, which you actually don't get here - it's all just written instruction.

I think maybe this book is probably best used as a source of style inspiration, if this is the kind of style you want to use in your sewing projects. I can imagine if you've been sewing for a while, the projects themselves are just going to be too simple for you but you might still get something from the way fabrics are put together to create that modern, natural linen style. I DO like the book and I found a few new projects that I don't already have in other books and I think the style of the projects is lovely. I just wish there had been projects suitable for different levels (it doesn't say the book's just for beginners after all) and a few diagrams would have been great.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 21 Feb 2012

Most projects are linen based.

The nicest/most likely things I would re-create (front cover)sewing kit case & a stem design messenager bag (thats makes you think of ORLA KIELYs stem print) & maybe marleys bear.

Whilst I don't feel inspired by much of the other stuff, I stick to its a nice book, to look at & read about the different creators but there are only few projects I might actually make. There were also some that made me think 'no I can't imagine ever making that' but I guess that's down to personal taste...

Projects I can recall from memory are: zigzag tote, nesting boxes, sewing case, stem bag, large wallet/organiser, pillow with pocket & pal, recycled scrap/ribbon, bread basket/bag, mug rug, quilted fridge magnets, a quilt, sorry the rest slip my mind!

All in it has good photography, good layout, templates at back & is a nice read.
& if you can get it, for the cost of a glossy magazine, it's well worth it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors, 8 July 2012
F. Duggan "Riga Thistle" (Latvia) - See all my reviews
Having bought Rashida Coleman-Hale's first Zakka sewing book, I was really looking forward to seeing what projects she had gathered together for this collaborative book. Whilst there are some useful and lovely projects in this book, the whole publication is really let down by the number of errors in the various projects. I have completed 8 projects from the book and there have been errors in several of them. In one project, the zip organizer seven of the fifteen cutting measurements were wrong! I have been taking part in a Sew a Long of the projects in this book and would not ,otherwise, been aware of these errors. I will certainly be wary of buying another craft book from this publisher, or indeed, another book compiled by Rashida Coleman-Hale.

5.0 out of 5 stars love Zakka style, 2 Mar 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
At first I was disappointed that not all the projects were by Rashida as she is one of my favourite designers in the industry and I loved her first book 'I Love Patchwork'. However, this book brings together many artists and projects with a common theme of 'Zakka' style, that touch of Japanese flair. I'm sure you'll find lots of things you want to make or adapt. There are lots of possibilities here. I love all the projects on the cover and that mix of linen and patterned fabric is just adorable and makes me think of so many possibilities. You'll learn about each of the artists and discover some great blogs to follow on the way. Projects include quilted magnets, a pretty linen bag, a house pouch and great ideas for the kitchen and home. Great photos, great instructions and inspirational are words I would use to describe this book. This review first appeared on yarnsnadfabrics website.

4.0 out of 5 stars ZAKKA STYLE, 7 Dec 2013
This is a lovely fun book for anyone looking to start sewing Love it.

easy to follow instructions and nice clear pictures .

5.0 out of 5 stars zakka style, 2 Dec 2013
I bought this book for a friend as I loved mine so far. I have tried a few of the designs , love the three baskets and have made lots for friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Nov 2013
Alison (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this book and want to make everything in it. It's beautifully produced and inspirational, I think most sewing fans would enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zakka, 8 Oct 2013
Liked the book, but found the projects very samey, will do some of them, not all. Projects have all been done before, I bought the book for just 4 projects. Worth downloading on Kindle, I felt that I could buy the book for a few projects because of the great price!
Downloaded to my iPad, pages come over really well and colours are great, easy to follow the text.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›