Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: HardcoverChange

on 1 November 2009
The diet itself is great - I've lost 5lbs already and I've only been doing it for a week! The meals are satisfying - you certainly don't go hungry, and it's great to find a diet where you can have chocolate without feeling guilty! The book is easy to follow and the idea behind specifically targeting visceral fat (deep belly fat which is the hardest fat to shift) is well-thought out. My only complaint would be that it would have been better if the authors had produced a specific English version as all the measures are US (1 cup, 1/2 cup etc) so I had to buy some new measuring cups. Similarly some ingredients are listed American style(zucchini, eggplant, grape tomatoes) and some brands/items it specifically mentions are unavailable in Britain, so again the book could do with translating for the English audience. That said it's a great diet (and I've tried them all!) and my husband is following it too and actually enjoying the meals without complaining that he's still hungry!
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2011
Love this book as it gives you the background to the diet and a 14 day plan. My husband and I both lost 4lb in the first 4 days, even though we skipped the jump start, but did have sassy water. We have enjoyed many of the savoury recipies. I have made the front cover cup cake recipe (once I found out what canola oil was), but used the mix to make two 7" cakes rather than cupcakes. It is decidedly delicious and my grandchildren love it lots. It's a good idea for the 4th food portion of the day at around 8 or 9 ish. The chocolate zuccini snack cake is also delicious. (I used extravagant Lindt dark chocolate as a treat because I couldn't find dark choc chips, but now that I have, I'll try them next time). Don't forget the recipe makes 12 portions and you are only allowed one. It is also ample for an evening snack. It just doesn't feel like dieting. In fact we don't diet as such, just try to stay healthy and this book is a great tool. For any of you who may not know some of the terminology used, I've done a wee list, with apologies if, to some, I'm stating the obvious.
Cilantro - coriander
Canola oil - rapeseed oil
snow peas - mange toute
mesclun - small young salad leaf mix
scallions - spring onions
rigatoni - tube shaped pasta
jicana - sweetish, turnip like crunchy vegetable often used instead of water chestnuts in stir fries. Have never seen it in the UK.
zuccini - courgette
eggplant - aubergine
neuf chatel cheese - specialist french low fat cream cheese.
Flank steak - tougher cut of steak from abdominal muscles of cow - often marinated or tenderised before cooking
pastry flour - I use plain
tempeh - fermented soy beans mixed with grains - often used in Indonesian cooking instead of salt.

What pleases me is not just the idea that belly fat will be lost, but that MUFAs are also a great cholesterol buster.
on 6 February 2010
After trying many ways to lose weight this for me, was the best! (I do realise that it won't suit everyone.) The most detailed information in this book gave me all the information I needed. OK it's American! so I worked round it. Health food shops & supermarkets have most products these days, but do read all labels!! It takes time to study and absorb the ideas. Yes it's based on counting calories and that takes some time to get to grips with but it depends how determined you are to lose weight! and change to a different way of eating for good! I have been doing this now for 24 days, have lost 9lbs and not been hungry. I find the Sassy water is to my taste and if our English weather is a bit cold then I warm it up in the microwave! For me the instructions and the recipies are well set out and I have tried some of the recipes, but now I am also making up my own 400 calorie meals as well. Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook
Patricia
Devon UK.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2009
I agree with mousewife, it would be great if UK version was published, US version is annoying due to foods not available in the uk and measures are different from uk.
on 23 May 2011
Too American for me!! The diet principal is great so looking for a version to cover the british food market.Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook
on 7 August 2014
The book was 2nd hand but surprisingly it is in excellent condition .
Some of the ingredients are only available in USA but it is challenging and fun to try and source an equivelant in UK. The 4 day starter diet was difficult but both my husband and I lost 4lbs so it was a great incentive to carry on.
on 11 August 2014
Tried some of these recipes they are delicious not seen any results yet but I'll keep going and making the recipes great price thank you
on 10 July 2011
This book, as far as I am concerned is a total waste of money! It has what looks like some lovely recipes in it, that is, until you look more closely at the ingredients. If you live in the USA it may suit you, but in the UK, I wouldn't bother. To start with, some of the ingredients can only be obtained in the USA, there are no equivalent ingredients over here. Most of the quantities are for 4 portions, which does not make sense, as it is unlikely that anyone not on a diet would want to eat this food willingly! (Had they made it for 2 portions, you could halve it for one, or double for 4, obviously not much thought has gone into some of these details).
Don't be fooled by what looks like a lovely cake on the front cover either, its not what it looks like! This diet is only good for someone who loves nuts and seeds as that's what most of the diet seems to consist of.
on 13 May 2011
AE SAME FOR THIS BOOK AS THE LAST ONE THANKS DANNY
on 14 August 2010
Good guidelines and recipes here. The main thing that I,and others, may have to do is -do it, just do it and the results will follow. I have yet to follow this on a daily basis.