Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2005
I am a 44 year-old woman with a 2 yr-old boy and about 2 stones to lose and all I can say is this has really worked for me so far. In the two weeks since I started I have lost 3 inches from my waist, an amazing 2 inches from EACH calf and one inch from hips and bust. What is more, I feel so much fitter and more positive in that time, with loads more energy and a real sense of committment. I love doing the exercises as I see this whole programme as something important that I am doing for myself (as most parents of small children know, this is often a forbidden luxury). Also, Dr Peeke's assessment of what happens to a woman's body at around 40 is very clear and explains why I am in this situation now after a lifetime of being very slim.
There is no need to join a gym (I haven't - I use a rebounder and cycle for the aerobic workout) and the cost of the hand weights is very low. Maybe in a few months time I will not be so positive, but I doubt it - this programme has really gripped me and I am determined to see it as a new way of life.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2005
A detailed look at a womens body and all the things that go wrong and how we women have to deal with them and try to stay in shape at the same time. Women are made different than men so why train like one? This book will take you through the ups and downs of hormone effects and weight controll issues. Exercises are very basic and wasy to follow for anyone starting out. Pictures show in detail the movements and steps to take to compelete the workouts.Also recommend The Backsmart Fitness Plan by Dr.Adam Weiss has a very detailed chapter on the midsection and the hips and modifed Pilates to tome and shape those problem areas.Each book help me get slimmer and eat better.
on 15 August 2005
on 12 November 2011
I was looking forward to receiving this book as I already own the original version and thought it would be good to have some specific advices for women. Unfortunately it has nothing new in it! Not even a section about how you go a about your training during your monthly bad week, which would have been so helpful. In all, I felt that this is a watered down and less motivating version than the original book so no real reason to be. :(
on 30 January 2010
I did expect more from this book as I know that this programm works if you are dedicated. There is not enough guidance and inspiration in terms of building your exercise routine and eating plan. The pictures in this book look very dated and boring. There are better books on the market that cover the body for life program.
on 3 September 2012
This book made me realize what is going on with my body in the forties. It also made me understand what I have to do to keep my body fit and loose those extra pounds. I wish I have found it sooner.
on 17 June 2009
great book to understand your body... not for everyone it can be hard work at times but it was worth it.
on 4 June 2015
Great exercise plans you can tailor to your own time and fitness levels. Also no fuss food advice to help you achieve your goals. Great book!
on 4 July 2013
Brilliant book for the girls. I have bought dumb bells now. It's very readable and the instructions are very clear.
on 21 October 2015
arrived fast its a great book cant wait to start body for life and change my life for the better.