on 20 May 2004
The "blurb" about this book claims there's everything a runner needs to know. But if you're looking for a book that is to the point and motivating, don't bother with this one.
It starts off quite well, with step by step guides on buying shoes, do's and don'ts for beginners, and a recommended training program that starts off so easy you wouldn't break a sweat. Thats when the good stuff ends I'm afraid, and you've paid a decent amount of money for 10% of the book.
The rest of the book seems to be just a general chat about running with randomly placed hints and tips. It lacks distinct information on how to acheive specific goals and there are only a few training programmes, and they don't go into much detail. I reckon I could have pulled all this information off a few websites.
There are also many unnecessary photos, of posed permatanned people pouring water over their faces or guys running on beaches with the caption, "When the mind is clear and relaxed, you can visualise success".
On the good side, this book may have one thing or two in it for the experienced runner, but as a beginner I couldn't pick it up. There is also very little science behind any "hints or tips" given.
on 24 August 2012
I specialise in helping people overcome adversity - addictions - weight loss and a few other things and this book was originally "lent" to me by one of my own health and wellbeing mentors because...

In his words, "This book covers everything you need to know about running and a bit more."

I then bought my own copy and recommend this book to my clients - primarily because of the introduction written by Amby.

It lists 10 principles - and I collect principles - the same way some people collect stamps.

A great book on "Principles" has been written by Ray Dalio is free from his website if you're interested - but anyway back to this book...

10 principles:

6. Never, never quit
7. Eat well
8. Find a partner or several
9. Maintain a balance in your life
10. Run for your life (my favourite)...

This book then covers each principle in more detail and is full of helpful advice.

It's written in an easy to comprehend way, has loads of lovely pictures and isn't too "deep"...

Wearing proper shoes - seems so simple and yet we often overlook the obvious - and that's what I love about this book - it covers enough to get you started and keep you safe...

It's not a book about advances in science - latest supplements - how to run a marathon in a world beating time - it's simply a great book for people who want to begin running...

The hardest part of becoming a runner is "tying up your shoelaces and waking out the door" and simple advice like - go running as early as possible in the day because you have less time to talk yourself out of it - is worth it's weight in gold because it's simple stuff that works...

Anyway, principle 1 is "real" - start today. I encourage my clients to begin walking for 1 minute today and increase this by 1 minute per day until you are moving consistently for 1 hour every day because it starts the process of getting better - and is simple - and it works...

If you are serious about be owning a body that is becoming fitter, stronger and healthier - and you want running as part of your "wellness package" then buy this book.

If you're already an experienced runner - then buy this book - highlight the bits that really stand out for you - and then give the book to someone you care about and want to encourage to become healthier...

Anyway, love the book - it has a simple plan to get you started and is a great addition to any collection of "getting better books"...
on 8 February 2002
I bought this book prior to my first marathon in the fall of 1998 and it's been my companion ever since. The book's structure with different chapters (by different authors) focusing on a variety of issues makes it perfect as a reference work to return to over and over for tips and inspiration. Particularily good I find the chapter on 'the countdown to the marathon' that covers everything yo need to keep in mind as you get closer to marathon day.
Well ok, there are many books going deeper into most parts of running for the really serious runners, but if you're after one running book, let this one be it.
on 26 October 2000
The book consists a chapters written by different authors all writing in the style that we have come to expect in runners world. It is very readable and has plenty of advice to offer beginners and improvers. More experienced runners may feel that the book does not go into enough depth on some subjects, but the wealth of knowledge contained within make it a must for beginners or those in the early part on their running career.
on 25 February 2007
As a new runner, I ordered this book hoping that it would tell me everything that I needed to know. Sadly I was to be disappointed.

Whilst it tells some very inspiring stories, it lacks the basic knowledge that I was looking for, and as it is particulary aimed at the American market, ( I live in the UK), most of the information it gave was irrelevant to me.
on 16 September 2012
This is advertised as "The only running book you'll ever need." It's not, I'm already deciding which book to read next. It does have lots of tips for beginners and is divided into chapters covering all the basics such as clothing, footwear, diet and training. It covers everything briefly, but nothing in depth. There was a great section about the last few days leading up to a marathon, which I wish I had read before my first marathon and I found the book very inspiring. It is a compilation of advice from many experienced runners and therefore contains a lot of conflicting information in the book. On the whole, it is a great place to start for new runners.
on 26 April 2014
I bought this book as I was getting into running, some good advice in here and I do recommend to all budding runners out there
on 2 August 2011
This was recommended to me and I have found it invaluable. I can honestly say it has had a positive impact on my running.
on 1 December 2011
I ordered this book as part of a Christmas present for my daughter , it arrived promptly within the specified time, cannot comment on the book as I have no interest in running, so have not read it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse