4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable - but sweet, sexy and heartwarming.
The handymnan does it with... well,that too, but mostly shyly, tentatively, awkwardly but - in the end - with voracious passion.
Published on 13 Feb 2010 by Steve

1.0 out of 5 stars Limited use
Published 8 months ago by Charlie Daz

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable - but sweet, sexy and heartwarming., 13 Feb 2010
This review is from: Handyman (Paperback)
Jack, in his mid forties, is a widower, always in denial during his marriage about his gayness. Doing a house renovation job for Will, he finds himself attracted to the younger man. will is taking a break from his whizz-kid financial career, during which he has had no lasting ralationships. He finds himself drawn to Jack in a way he has not experienced before. Of course, attraction leads to sex and Jack proves a fast, if guilty-feeling, learner. Not only does he have to cope with his own fears and dounts, but with the homophobic reaction of one of his sons. Mind you, since Eric comes into the house to find Dad in mid-mega orgasm with Will, a little surprise on his part is understandable.
This ia tender, sweet, sexy story. But there is more to it than a heartwarming romance fuelled by hot passion. Claire Thompson has real insight into the confusion of feelings: attraction, longing, guilt that many of us have experienced. And she brilliantly converys the wonderful enormity of Jack's life changing transformation from devoted husband to out and happy gay man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handyman, 16 Jan 2010
J. C. Russell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handyman (Paperback)
It's amazing how many of the man-on-man books currently available have female authors. Do they write better than male authors? I suppose that depends on whether you like the storyline and subject matter. Langley has 2 available in the with/without series (a 3rd in the pipeline I hope) and the sex is detailed, although she had too much in With Reservations, and not enough in the other.
In this book Claire Thompson gets the balance right and anyone wanting a very readable love story will enjoy it, as it's a situation the romantics among us love.
Interestingly enough, there are 2 main characters, with very few on the perifery, so the concentration is on the reaction of one man to another, and here Thompson switches from the thoughts of one to the other as though she were playing ping-pong, which makes it a bit confusing at times.
Nevertheless, it's a good read, especially at the current price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Limited use, 21 Feb 2014
Charlie Daz (South of the River) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handyman (Kindle Edition)
Stung by Mrs Daz's jibes about my lack of manual skills, I decided to invest in this volume, under the impression that it would help me become more proficient in doing it myself. Alas, the book proved somewhat less than useful, being largely limited to graphic descriptions concerning the use of tools in the back passage. I could find nothing about the right way to perform simple household erections, though there were some useful passages on the correct usage of lubricants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who are you really?, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Handyman (Paperback)
This is a very enjoyable romance about self discovery and finding real love between two very unlikely people. I really found the questioning and the insights into what the main characters are thinking very revealing and true to life. This is a heart-warming story that will make you want to keep reading until the very last page. An absolute must if you are sucker for a good love story!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, sexy read, 12 May 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Handyman (Paperback)
Another gay fiction that's well worth a look, in my opinion. In this one, playboy trader Will hires handyman Jack Crawford to renovate his house. Rugged forty-something widower Jack incites the kind of feelings in Will he's never had before; he decides that unlike his numerous other flings, Jack's definitely a keeper. It's just a pity he's straight. Or is he...?

A good story about a man coming to terms with his true sexuality and falling for a younger guy, with all the self-doubt and esteem issues that also entails. I'd recommend it for some of the sexy scenes alone and Jack's a character you can *really* fall in love with. It's just a pity the ending was a little rushed, but all in all a steamy, sexy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 5 April 2014
Mr. Paul A. F. Johnson "long haired lover" (sheffield, south yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handyman (Paperback)
I truly enjoyed this book, I read it in three days it was that interesting. I would recommend this to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love is easy when you dodge the clichés, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Handyman (Kindle Edition)
A nice safe romance, that teases with the usual star crossed lover tropes but refreshingly avoids the usual angsty fallout by having protagonists who actually have some common sense.

There isn't any great depth to this, but a recommended bit of "comfort reading".

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, angst-filled, occasionally too trite, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Handyman (Kindle Edition)
I just finished this book last night, and overall it was an enjoyable, slow-burning read, but it was not without its faults.
I tend to go for brasher, more sex-heavy erotica (hey, I know what I like!), and "Handyman" took a while for me to properly sink my teeth into. Part of this, for me, had to do with the feeling that the characters spoke too much at length, in ways that I didn't find realistic (too many overly descriptive monologues to each other). However, I found it easier to read the more the book went along, and the pace picked up in the latter half. Certainly by the last third of the book, I was glad I'd stuck with it.
The plot of a widower handyman and an overactive, high-stress business sort seems like an easy kink story, but it was very emotionally developed here. Perhaps too much: the angst was filled out, but some of the sex didn't ring true to me, or put me off (but that's a matter of taste - everyone has different turn-off words). Here again, though, some of it was tied into "telling" too much. One of the characters says outright "Is it time? Are you ready yet to receive me?" I can't help but wonder who genuinely asks a thing like that, at least in that way....Still, I could really get a sense from those scenes that contained sex what the act meant for these two men.
The author switches back and forth regularly between the main characters and their confused, passionate, sometimes even annoyed feelings for each other. Their exploration of each other is, as I said before, slow-burning and methodical, with setbacks happening along the way.
There were parts of the book that, for me, tiptoed too close along the edge of cliche. (Off the top of my head, it made me wince a little when one character actually said aloud, in a moment of romantic anguish, "What have I done?") It's a fine line with this genre, because I understand that readers want certain expectations to be filled - and I'm guilty as charged, as a regular reader of it myself!
Overall, as I've said already, I enjoyed "Handyman." The author knew her characters well, and it shines through in the novel. I will be checking out other books by this author, as this was my first by her and I'm curious to see what else she's written.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's always when you least expect it, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Handyman (Kindle Edition)
Okay , l love it and hate it at the same time , the loving , great chemistry , romantic , sweet in parts and the way the family deal with finding out that dad is gay!!!!!...the hating , the cringe , uncomfortable sex scenes , ughhh not good , the cliche oooops !!! we have been caught doing the nasty ,,,,,well not really the nasty but you get my drift ....the obligatory , oh l hate that you are gay that always props up in MM romance , but it's still worth the buy....

3.0 out of 5 stars Al about love, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Handyman (Kindle Edition)
There's an awful lot of navel gazing in this story. The plot is simple and doesn't have any surprises but the bulk of the writing is about the two characters' feelings and anxieties. An angst-ridden 40-something makes a change, I suppose.

The sex bits are okay, and not one use of the word "throbbing" which is a pleasant surprise with this genre.

Handyman
Handyman by Claire Thompson (Paperback - 28 July 2009)