5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book
There was a time I was playing with vegetarians diet. Not any more. My health is more important than any idea.
Most vegetarian should read this book and then make a choice.
I read it in one day.
Published 1 month ago by eva

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I want to be clear about a few things:

1) I am a female.
2) I give the idea of this book 5 stars, but its execution 1.
3) I have been a radical vegan, a rabid meat-eater and everything in between (currently in the in-between)
4) I am working on an archaeological PhD on hunter-gatherer diets, subsistence, hunting and transition to...
Published on 5 Jun 2010 by A. Perri

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
Is this woman for real?! I have no doubt this product has been sponsored by the meat and dairy industry somewhere down the line. Complete piffle, unsubstantiated pseudo science.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, especially for people who care about the planet and their health, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
This book is essential reading for anyone who cares about the environment and their own health. Written by a person who's about as eco-nutty as you can get. She was a vegan for years and years (and if you know the type of person who goes vegan, you know the level of fundamentalist eco-nuttiness this takes) and despite putting tons of effort into it, wrecked her health with it, and was devastated to realise there's no such thing as a vegetarian field and how agriculture is destroying the earth way faster than grazing or hunting would. Oh, and also she puts to rest the old whole myth about "farming animals is a waste of crops and a pound of meat takes this much grain", revealing that it's only based on hideous factory farming and feeding cows food they're not meant to eat, like wheat and soy--if they ate grass, there wouldn't be a problem and in addition to that, keeping cows isn't nearly as disastrous to topsoil as agriculture is. And then there's the nutritional problem wherein human hunter-gatherer genes sit uneasily with human ethics where we developed such a high level of compassion we started to have problems eating animals--except that biologically speaking, vegetarianism isn't really the best option for homo sapiens (something I already knew from a paleontological perspective). She's done tons of research on this and the annotations alone are staggering.

It's a really, really good book and I admit, I cried several times while reading it, because I share that deep, spiritual anguish about the state of the world and the passionate love of nature she does. And had to give up being a vegetarian because my health simply could not take it (and like me, she found paleo/low-carb was the optimal style of nutrition from an evolutionary point of view and managed to regain some of her health through it). So it's definitely written by one of us tree-hugging feminist hippies and not one of these macho prats wearing "carnivore" t-shirts who use paleo as an excuse for violence and not caring about other living creatures. While an ecofeminist myself, I'm not as extreme in my views as Keith is, but it's wonderful to finally see paleo described from the perspective of a compassionate, liberal woman and not some tough libertarian/conservative guy. If anyone brings compassion and awareness of the interconnectedness of all life into meat-eating, this woman does. She suggests a spiritual approach to eating what you were biologically meant to eat--being aware of your part in the food chain and realising that life always feeds on life. Vegetable or animal, something always has to die so something else can keep on living.

Sadly, I suspect that the people who need to read The Vegetarian Myth the most will never pick it up and will judge it without even reading it. Even though it's important reading for just about everyone, especially for us environmentalists. That's one of the main reasons why it made me cry, pretty much--even with my background in nutritional geekery, I was devastated by the amount of rubbish she revealed about common veggie myths (so it's even more difficult to be around well-meaning, compassionate and environmentally passionate, animal-loving people who've never questioned the stuff). And of course, I doubt humankind can abandon agriculture, so it was even more horrifying to read exactly how many species and vast areas of land it's killed so far with the damming of rivers and draining of fields and felling of forests and to know this will probably go on until the entire planet is destroyed. And how much can an individual human being do? How to balance the planet's wellbeing and your own health and to exercise compassion towards all living beings when you've got hunter-gatherer genes? These aren't easy questions, and she doesn't even pretend to give easy answers. But it's definitely a book worth reading. It was a depressing book at times, but then again, all the truly important ones are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only for Vegetarians, but for everyone!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
Lierre Keith did not have to convince me to eat meat. I was a vegetarian for the puny number of 3 years, yet that was enough to compromise my health for many years to come. Consuming all those whole grains, the sugars, the tofu fries and tofu dogs, the soya milk and every other bad tasting "health" food that went with my new belief in vegetarianism, led me to feel for the first time at the age of 23 what pre-menstrual pain meant. And we are talking of debilitating pain. Nobody was able to explain to me why it started then - it's just hormonal imbalance, said my gynecologist. But what caused this hormonal imbalance that makes it feel like a war is waged in my ovaries, with a high number of casualties? Thanks to Lierre's thorough research, now I know. A decade later, and my hormones have yet to find their balance. But meat and fat are the staples in my diet now, so I am crossing my fingers.

Lierre did not have to convince me either, of the cycle of life and death. As a child, I've seen my mother kill our chickens and ducks, the ones that run free in our land behind the house in the Mediterranean village I grew up, and served them for dinner. The same fate followed my grandfather's goats and my aunt's rabbits. And we were strong children, me and my brother and our multiple cousins, playing out in the fields and by the beach all day, yet never throwing tantrums or crying for nothing. And I don't blame the children of today for their emotional fragility or their tantrums, I don't even blame their parents, for I am sure they want the best for their kids. But since this book is now available, it is their responsibility to read it and educate themselves, because big-pharma-paid doctors, ain't going to do it for you, sorry. And I can recommend a stack of books on nutrition, low carb diets, full of real information, from true studies and research too: [LIFE WITHOUT BREAD LIFE WITHOUT BREAD: HOW A LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIET CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE HOW A LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIET CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE] By Lutz, Wolfgang(Paperback) on 01-Mar-2000, Primal Body-Primal Mind: Empower Your Total Health The Way Evolution Intended (...And Didn't), The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, to name but a few. What really makes the Vegetarian Myth my personal favorite however, though it doesn't go in detail into the science and planning for a low carb diet, is that the author pours herself in her book and she takes me along with her. Not only did she do her studies before she presented them to us (13 pages of bibliography), she walked the bridge less traveled, the one spread between veganism and carnivorism, stretching from the grey land of the barely living to the land of sustainability and health, herself. And she now tells us, in a book that's half science and half prayer, sometimes speaking for the Earth herself to ask for our help.

What Lierre taught me that I didn't know, was the heartbreaking truth of the damage we have inflicted, as agriculture loving civilization, to the ecosystem, our Earth, our home. I cried for the dead rivers, the lost animal species, the sacred topsoil that is thinning away. I came out of the book with a profound respect for the intelligence of the nature that envelops us and sustains us, and yet we brutally maim it. I cried because I read that my homeland, a water depleted, desert-like island, used to be full of trees some centuries ago. And I got livid at the lies that our governments, the medical establishment and the media feed us with, along with poisonous food, so that they keep their pockets full of money. The sicker we get, the wealthier they get.

I don't know whether the world can change, but I know that this book changed me, and I will never forget to respect my food from now on, I will never again forget the evils of agriculture and I will always recognize the diseases of civilization. So I invite everyone, I actually plead everyone, vegetarian, vegan or not, to read this book, so that more of us know. And when enough of us do, perhaps the Big Corporation predators will grow smaller and poorer, while the Earth grows wealthier again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Please read vegetarian or not!, 20 Mar 2010
C. Cotterill "The Editor" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
Finally people are embracing common sense. Life on this planet is dependent on the nitrogen cycle and ecosystems, not corn, maze and wheat. Please respect the natural balance of the planet and not completely, irresponsibly redesign it just because you don't like the idea of blood being shed. Too many vegetarians seem to renounce the idea that life and death are necessary, co-dependent and natural processes. Please take a more mature view on this.

I also heavily recommend:

The Primal Blueprint by Mark's Sissons,
The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy

Body by Science by John Little,
Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week

"Big Fat Lies, How government's make you fat" by Hannah Sutter.
Big Fat Lies: Is Your Government Making You Fat?

The message is out there, it's co-herent from every angle, we just need to do something about it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
It is easy to make money with books that claim to dismantle any "myths", but this is the cheapest version of average meat lobby propaganda I've seen so far...

4.0 out of 5 stars profoundly thought-provoking, 2 Jun 2010
cristofa (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
I have not eaten meat for about 15 years, but seldom refer to myself as 'vegetarian', not wanting to be associated with the many self-righteous folk who preach that particular religion. But for the first time since I stopped eating meat, this book has made me look very hard at my reasons and, in the face of some of her arguments, they are less secure than they were.

However, Keith raises as many questions as she answers - most particularly she simply does not address the massive question of "how to feed everybody?" It's all very well her having her small-holding with her livestock, but that is not an option for city dwellers. Also, she focusses entirely on soy as a vegetarian's protien source - she does not even mention Quorn mycoprotein. In the States the soya manufacturers have run a dirty tricks campaign that has sowed fear and suspicion about this product, but it is very widely eaten and enjoyed in Europe. It really is possible to manufacture satisfactory meat alternatives without harming the planet and Keith should have covered this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely mind blowing, 9 Mar 2010
S. Mackrill (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
This is a must read book. It brings every niggle about plant based diets into sharp focus and explains why this lifestyle is killing us and that is is totally unnatural and based on false assumptions. It shows us that we are destroying the planet with out madness. If you are vegetarian/vegan you owe it to yourself to read this book. If you have a non-meat eater in the family you owe it to them to read this book then get them to read it. This book will save lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earth moving read, 12 Sep 2012
Thomas Steen Christensen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
In the top 10 best books I ever read. Connect many different views together. Full of underpinning facts when hypothesizing. Not to technical. Were well written - a good sense of humor.

1.0 out of 5 stars What does she think livestock eats???!!, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
I will say just this... she describes agriculture as "a relentless assault against the planet". A little confused, perhaps, Ms. Keith.
Because the livestock fuelling the meat-based diet she so devoutly advocates don't survive on air. They too form part of this "relentless assault".

But hey, buy it. You can use it as toilet paper when you run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter truth, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
Completely, methodically and bitterly obliterates veganism and vegetarianism.
Karma.
Only someone who did total veganism for more than 20 years and ruined her life in horrible ways, could exact such a revenge on this 'religion'.
It dismantles all its arguments, about doing no harm, about health, about morality, about justice.
Has some silly advice in the end and some eco bs, but it does not matter. Life saving book for any would be vegan.

Vegetarian Myth, The
Vegetarian Myth, The by Lierre Keith (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)
10.49