on 6 May 2013
This is a lovely book, full of ideas on how to join motifs and instructions on how to make many beautiful motifs. No more just sewing or crocheting squares together. It feels like a quality book too, with it's hard back and ring binding. The included projects struck me as being a bit ordinary. They don't really do the book justice. On a cautionary note, this is not really a 'how to crochet' book in spite of there being instructions about making the basic stitches.
on 11 May 2013
Love this book. I was specifically looking for different ways to join motifs, and it does just that and more. I've been crocheting for years, but learned a new way to cast on! Gives instructions for many different types of motifs and a few things to make - good value.
on 18 April 2013
... she repeats the incorrect terminology she gives in her previous excellent book and that irritates me!

This book uses American Crochet terms - which is fine.
However, she makes the mistake of saying that the UK equivalent of the US slip stitch 'ss' is - single crochet 'sc'. It is not. There is no term 'sc' in UK crochet.
We also use 'ss' for slip stitch and do not call slip stitch 'single crochet'!

The way I check if a pattern uses UK or US terminology is to see if the instruction 'sc' is there. If it is, I know it is US, so this misinformation is not helpful.

Apart from that, her instructions on how to crochet at the beginning are some of the best and clearest that I have seen. And the spiral bound format is so much more user-friendly.
on 26 February 2014
I love this book. I find the information in it interesting and thought provoking. The book includes great designs, and some that I had would never of thought of. I would consider myself a reasonably experienced crocheter although I wouldn't go as far as to claim to be an expert - competent would be more accurate. I have already ( within a couple of weeks) used some of the designs to attach and enhance other projects with great results.

A word of caution, the stiches and instructions follow American crochet terms but these are fully explained. I found that it didn't take me too long to get into the shifts in terminology - certainly the stich guides help and after a couple of patterns I was fine. All the patterns I have tried have worked without problems and once I got the hang of a sliding loop start I haven't looked back.

The binding on the book is a bonus and it is really easy to use - it lays flat.

If you want to add a good, eclectic range of motifs and shapes to your repertoire then go for this.
Highly recommended.
Don't let the US terminology put you off buying if you are hooked on crochet - this book is such a valuable addition to the crochet reference library it shouldn't be missed! Conversion tables are all over the 'Net - I've printed out several copies of a bookmark formatted one and keep one in all my crochet books.

I have several of Ms Eckman's books and this one is no exception to my level of satisfaction with the way she presents crochet. As with her previous books, she writes as though in the room with the reader, and the layout of this book is every bit as good as all her previous crochet books. I love the way she includes step-by-step photos and text, and where exactly to place the hook for some of the more difficult bits, and the way she explains WHY things are done makes the more confusing aspects so much less confusing - when I know the why of something is done I have a much better understanding of the how. Another thing I really like about her books are the way each can stand alone as a title or be used with other titles in her catalogue.

The 100+ new motifs are presented followed by several joining methods for each that can easily be used for any other motif found anywhere else. The added bonus of the patterns is great - something for nearly every taste in the set of patterns and all easy to challenging in rating. All in this book is yet another WIN for Edie Eckman and anyone who follows her for crochet.
on 23 March 2013
This is an excellent book, as usual with Edie's books it's well-written and full of useful information. Very clear instructions so easy to follow them, I've learned some new techniques and the book is also a source of inspiration for my own projects. If you're looking to expand your crochet library, I'd heartily recommend adding this book.
on 31 May 2013
For anyone wanting to take crochet that bit further. Easy to follow instructions and lovely illustrations make this book very user friendly.
on 28 April 2013
some unusual shapes and clear instructions
like the layout diagrams and the flexible binding for having it in front of your whilst working
it even got to Bulgaria by post safely thank you amazon
on 10 April 2013
I am an experienced crocheter, but used to UK patterns. I found these difficult to follow initially, but shall persevere, as they do provide a new dimension to crocheted shapes.
on 15 February 2013
dont buy it, i want to be the only one who has it!!!! seriously! it is so useful if u know how to crochet, soon you will become jealous if someone else knows to do those shapes. they are awesome!!!