4.0 out of 5 stars I like this book a great deal but ....
... she repeats the incorrect terminology she gives in her previous excellent book and that irritates me!

This book uses American Crochet terms - which is fine.
However, she makes the mistake of saying that the UK equivalent of the US slip stitch 'ss' is - single crochet 'sc'. It is not. There is no term 'sc' in UK crochet.
We also use 'ss' for...
Published 20 months ago by kittiwake

2.0 out of 5 stars feeling uninspired
I bought this book because I wanted to learn new techniques...I have another book from this author but this one I didn't enjoy it...I thought that it would be something else not 10 motifs 1joining method and go on... I also didn't like the colours used for the motifs...
Published 12 months ago by georkost

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this book a great deal but ...., 18 April 2013
This review is from: Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes (Spiral-bound)

This book uses American Crochet terms - which is fine.
We also use 'ss' for slip stitch and do not call slip stitch 'single crochet'!

The way I check if a pattern uses UK or US terminology is to see if the instruction 'sc' is there. If it is, I know it is US, so this misinformation is not helpful.

Apart from that, her instructions on how to crochet at the beginning are some of the best and clearest that I have seen. And the spiral bound format is so much more user-friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 6 May 2013
This is a lovely book, full of ideas on how to join motifs and instructions on how to make many beautiful motifs. No more just sewing or crocheting squares together. It feels like a quality book too, with it's hard back and ring binding. The included projects struck me as being a bit ordinary. They don't really do the book justice. On a cautionary note, this is not really a 'how to crochet' book in spite of there being instructions about making the basic stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 11 May 2013
Love this book. I was specifically looking for different ways to join motifs, and it does just that and more. I've been crocheting for years, but learned a new way to cast on! Gives instructions for many different types of motifs and a few things to make - good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent motifs, but very tricky to follow., 14 July 2013
If you are an experienced crocheter; this is an excellent book; however, there are some mistakes and the conversion from US stitches to UK are confusing and not accurate; I have a lot of 'motif' books and wanted this one to experiment with joining the motifs. I found it quite tricky to follow some of the instructions and I have been crocheting for 30 years !
The motifs are delightful though and there are some really interesting ones.If you like a lot of reading and are prepared to study hard for your advanced diploma in motif joining, this is the book for you !
A handy book to have around, but I will try again in the long winter months to conquer the 'joining'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Feb 2014
I love this book. I find the information in it interesting and thought provoking. The book includes great designs, and some that I had would never of thought of. I would consider myself a reasonably experienced crocheter although I wouldn't go as far as to claim to be an expert - competent would be more accurate. I have already ( within a couple of weeks) used some of the designs to attach and enhance other projects with great results.

A word of caution, the stiches and instructions follow American crochet terms but these are fully explained. I found that it didn't take me too long to get into the shifts in terminology - certainly the stich guides help and after a couple of patterns I was fine. All the patterns I have tried have worked without problems and once I got the hang of a sliding loop start I haven't looked back.

The binding on the book is a bonus and it is really easy to use - it lays flat.

If you want to add a good, eclectic range of motifs and shapes to your repertoire then go for this.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars crochetlicious, 31 May 2013
For anyone wanting to take crochet that bit further. Easy to follow instructions and lovely illustrations make this book very user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars really really like this book, 28 April 2013
some unusual shapes and clear instructions
like the layout diagrams and the flexible binding for having it in front of your whilst working
it even got to Bulgaria by post safely thank you amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Connect the Shapes ..., 23 Mar 2013
This is an excellent book, as usual with Edie's books it's well-written and full of useful information. Very clear instructions so easy to follow them, I've learned some new techniques and the book is also a source of inspiration for my own projects. If you're looking to expand your crochet library, I'd heartily recommend adding this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to learn from., 19 Dec 2013
I used this book for a college project and found it amazingly easy to learn new stitches and then to put them to use. For each shape, there are both written instructions and diagrams, both of which can be used without the need to refer to the other, so it's probably a good bet for most people to learn from. I also used the diagrams to better understand the written instructions as so many patterns for projects seem to be just written and have no diagram. There's a colour photo of the finished motif for each pattern too, so you know what it should look like before you start. The book has a plastic spiral spine, which is great as it stays open at the page you want.

It arrived nice and quickly, in perfect condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes, 19 Aug 2013
I really enjoed this little book, being a lover of motifs but not being able to work out how to join them together myself. Each of the motifs shown are beautiful works of art in themselves, but them joining them together to make some intricate items makes them so much more!

This book not only gives lots of ideas for creative elements, but also gives the basic steps of crochet at the beginning of the book including things i find tricky like weaving in the ends of the yarn, or picking colours and types of yarn. The only problem is that this book uses American terminology, which can cause confusion later on when learning crochet from the basics. Personally i do like it when the author puts in directions as to how to do double crochet etc at the beginning of the book so that i know that i'm working to the same page.

Overall this is a great little book for all crochetters whether new or an old hand, one for my collection!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›