5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to every knitters bookshelf.
This has a great selection of projects to use up all those single skeins lurking in your knitting stash. Lots of patterns to choose from arranged by categories.
Somethingh for everyone from simple scarves to more complex designs.
Lovely photographs and beautifully laid out.
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Mrs. L. L. Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmm
Some of the skeins are rather large & to me are cheating! I thought these patterns would be for what I would call a skein (max 100g) but some of them are for huge skeins. I was disappointed with this book, nothing there that excited me, errors in some patterns, I would say if you want some patterns to use small amounts of wool look in the knitting mags, their patterns are...
Published 13 months ago by grumpya

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to every knitters bookshelf., 30 Dec 2010
Mrs. L. L. Bradley "roxyrana" (Lancashire , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks! (Paperback)
Somethingh for everyone from simple scarves to more complex designs.
Lovely photographs and beautifully laid out.
I think this is the best one yet in the ' One Skein Wonders ' series, a definate must buy for any knitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far!, 4 May 2011
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've bought/been given/borrowed all the books in the "one Skein Wonders" series, and this is the best of the bunch!

The editor and publisher have obviously taken criticisms of previous books on board, and the book is now in full colour throughout, with pictures of the projects now actually with the instructions instead of a section at the front. The quality of the pictures has improved too. The majority of projects are knitted but there are a sprinkling of crochet projects too.

The book is arranged by project type, and there is a wide selection of designs to choose from - socks, obviously but also shawls, hats, gloves, bags, baby clothes, clothes for dolls (probably the only things I won't knit) and items for the home. Because items are all made using 100g or less of sock yarn, they are ideal stash busters. By being made from a weight of yarn easily available to UK knitters, the book is more useful than some US-centric knitting books, too.

A slight criticism is that the book doesn't give actual yarn usage for each project, so it's harder to calculate whether that odd skein in the stash will actually stretch to finishing a project.

A useful addition to my library. There's only so many pairs of socks a girl can have, but sock yarn is just so tempting...

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much sock yarn? Need some great gift ideas?, 26 Jan 2011
This is a fabulous book - my usual rule is that a knitting book needs at least 4 patterns I would actually knit before I buy it - with his one I stopped counting! Lovely scarf, hat and glove patterns as well as shawls, baby clothes and even some doll's clothes. At least I now feel I could actually use all that sock yarn! Really good value, well set out and a pleasure to look at!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of ideas and inspiration in one place, 29 Mar 2012
I love this book. I have a rule that I won't buy a pattern book unless there are at least 3 patterns in it that I would make. I stopped counting after 8 with this one!! Even better, none of the patterns take more than a single skein (100g) of sock yarn, so helping to use up my endless stash of indie dyed loveliness. I like that the patterns are divided into sections eg Head to Toe (hats, gloves and socks), Knits for Kids and Bags, making it easy to browse for that perfect project. The charts are nice and big, making them easy to read and pictures show the detail of the items, so you can see what they look like (not too arty or fussy). Not everything is to my taste, as you would expect in a book with over 100 patterns, but all in all, it's a great little book, with plenty of ideas and inspiration for quick gifts and things you'll want to make for yourself. Definitely worth the price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 23 Aug 2011
Ms. A. Craven "Yorkshire Lass" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book. A vast array of stuff to knit, not just socks, out of all that lovely sock wool stash I have. Hats and caps, gloves and cuffs, scarves and shawls, clothes for kids and dolls, bags and purses and other 'decorative wearables'. A good book to get ideas for little presents. There's a lovely pattern for lacy summer footlets (fancy trainer socks) ! I do like Motorcycle Mama's Neckwarmer, which is basically a polo neck jumper without the jumper bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars great..., 11 Mar 2012
Another great staple and a definite enhancement for my growing library. plenty of lovely projects. I love this series of books and this one is as good as the others. I am working through my stash....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent uses for surplus knitting wool, 19 Oct 2011
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This whole series of books are very good value. Everyone that knits will slowly accumulate a stockpile of balls of knitting wool. The patterns in this book are useful and well worth knitting up.Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders

4.0 out of 5 stars Sock Yarn ideas, 18 Sep 2011
Full of useful ideas for the ever-increasing range of lovely sock yarns available; although it's very US-based (understandably) the patterns and variety of ideas are valid anywhere. Illustrations are good, patterns are clear - very good value and worth dipping in to over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders, 5 Aug 2011
Although I haven't knitted anything from this book yet there are many choices which could be knitted up fairly quickly as they are all small projects. I thought the fingerless gloves would be a good choice for Christmas presents but there are also many others to choose from. I also think it's good value for money as patterns are so expensive now and you have just over one hundred patterns for under ten pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock wool but not necessarily socks..., 22 April 2011
I love this book! It is jam-packed full of patterns of all sorts. I've got 2 of the previous one-skein wonder books and they're getting better. This one is the best yet, with very good quality pictures and clear instructions. I've already made a couple of things using up a skein of hand-dyed sock wool which I fell in love with but didn't know what to do with - it made a lovely baby cardigan and hat.
Thoroughly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!