Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2012
Around the Corner Crochet Borders This is a lovely little book. Although the crochet terms are American, there is a chart inside the book which converts terms to British. Ideal for adding edges/borders to anything, not only knitteds and crochets. Brilliant ideas and easy to follow instructions, also included are charts. The Indexes at the back are very comprehensive. Fab diagrams and photos. Take a deep breath, you can really do it!
on 28 February 2011
As a 'return to knit and crochet' person, I had always struggled with the 'getting around a corner' part of edging. The last time I attempted such a feat nothing like this book was available - it was all still 'ask your granny' stage.

I presently have a project that I'm doing for a lady who is disabled and desperately wanted to find a suitable edging for her that will not impede on her for handling her walking sticks. This book has given me so much choice that are all manageable so this lady will have a mighty fine looking wrap to suit all occasions as a result.

It is written with US methods, however they have clearly given details of how to convert your UK methods to US so that everyone can use this book. I consider this book now to be an essential part of my technique collection to provide me with so much choice and versatility to my designs that I may never need to do the same thing twice again! I happily recommend this book to beginners and advanced alike as there is so much information on technique followed up by massive choice of designs. Great value.
on 14 August 2011
Firstly - for information - this book is American and therefore has US terminology.

4 stars because I find it hard to convert to English terminology, being relatively new to crochet (must learn to read charts!) - and because it would be so much more user-friendly if it was ring-bound. Books get damaged so easily when you have to flatten the spine.

I thought this book was worth the money for the introductory pages alone!
The first chapter, with tips on how to get your border even and excellent clear photographs of how to stitch and where to stitch (using a contrasting colour for the row being worked) are the best I have seen. You are shown how to work into crochet and knitting working horizontal and vertical edges - all clearly photographed close up.You are given the formula for calculating the number of stitches you will need. There is a lot about corners - obviously as that is what this book is for! - and you are shown clear photos of ways to end rounds - with various joins. Troubleshooting flatness issues has a section. Also changing colour and putting a crochet border onto fabric.
At the back there is: Crochet punctuation, Symbols, Glossary & Abbreviations, Index, Stitch Key.

The actual borders seem a bit garish with their clashing colours on first look, but of course (again), contrasting colours for each row show exactly what you are aiming for!

Each border has a photograph, clear written instructions, 2 charts - one for going round a corner, and one for a straight border - (and on the charts one pattern repeat is highlighted, which I am sure would be very useful for those who read patterns!), and there are explanations, tips and hints on nearly every page. It is worth reading all of these even if you aren't wanting to crochet that particular border.

This book is just what I needed as I have been knitting squares to make cushions, and I have now successfully crocheted a border on one of them and am very pleased with the result.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 March 2015
**US terminology with conversion to UK information**

I’m already a huge fan of this author’s books on crochet. My copy of her first book is always in my project bag and has been for over ten years. So when I saw this title addressing a crochet issue I was having right that moment, I hit ‘add to basket’ and couldn’t wait with any patience for delivery. Well it’s here now and it’s WOW better than I thought it would be!

I prefer spiral-binding for books like this but this book is so good I’ll happily take it as it is and simply lay a clear glass cutting board across the page I want to work. It’s a long length, short height paperback filled with sensibly laid out ‘how-to-achieve’ instruction in the first 25 pages (including a note to UK users) with a ‘quick start guide’ on page 26, and then 150 gorgeous borders with chart and written for each one including tips specific to that border. The last few pages give information on understanding pattern instructions, abbreviations, symbols, and includes a basic index.
on 8 June 2014
You'll find yourself returning to this handy book every time you start (or start to finish) a project - knitted or crochet'd. The examples are versatile & easy to understand with both comprehensive written step by step instructions & the visual crochet code. I know it's only borders but I find this book more useful than many of the other books I have & use it to adapt a project with one of these gorgeous borders instead.
on 28 December 2014
What a great book. I'm a relative newbie to crochet and I found I could easily follow the patterns. It's worth buying just for the advice on getting the foundation row correct round the crochet piece and the maths for working out the fit of a border, but there's also advice for knitted pieces and fabric and felt.

I always struggle with borders, which can really make a project sing when you get the right one. This book is very inspiring and many of the patterns are simple, but very effective. I found the instructions clear and concise.

I'm so pleased I bought this :-) I think my border angst is over.

Nb The book does use US crochet terms, but it's easy to get a 'translation' and there is an explanation in the book of US to UK. Most stitches beyond the norm are explained within the relevant pattern, which I found very helpful.
on 6 March 2012
As I do work for the Costume department of the Ironbridge Gorge Museums, I found this book very valuable in that it provided me with effective finishes for crocheted shawls etc.
on 29 October 2015
This book was recommended by a crochet blogger. It is excellet because it explains how to get your borders to turn at right angles, which many patterns/books don't do. It has los of borders to choose from, from quite simple to more fancy ones. It is written in American terms but it does have a conversion table to show UK equivalents - if you can get your head round this, it's well worth getting. The book itself is a very handy size too.
on 9 January 2012
So far I've not had a chance to do more than briefly leaf through them, but they're already inspiring me. Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs, and Around the Corner Crochet Borders, both by Eddie Eckman are bold and vibrant books, containing hordes of simple yet effective crochet patterns. The patterns are each laid out both in a written format, and in a symbol chart, so you can use whichever method you are used to. The books appear to give thorough explanations at the beginning of how to do particular stitches, and give good directions to the beginner crocheter, whilst containing a few handy hints for the more advanced crocheter also.

Each crocheted item is displayed in beautiful bold colours, and the motif book even includes a few pages of ideas on how to use your motifs once you have completed them. I'm super excited about trying some different designs out of these books soon, I just need to get a few other lingering projects out of the way so I can get on with the more fun things on my to do list.
on 25 June 2012
This is a great book. I think it would be good for people just learning crochet and people who have been crocheting for years.
It shows a lot of was to finish off blankets E.T.C.
The only thing you have to watch is that it is a book written in the USA so the stitches are different to ours.