5.0 out of 5 stars The Importance of Tribe
This was a book club choice and since Mann Booker shortlist books are often a bit of a struggle, as is the perceived topic of Islamic fundamentalism, I was not particularly looking forward to it. But in fact it's very good. Yes, it's a soliloquy, but it avoids verbosity, and it flows smoothly. For some reason I'd expected that the lead character was a worthy, ethical...
Published on 25 Sep 2012 by Cheshire Tiger

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg
Rubbish story brilliantly told!

If you've been to the developing world you will have been approached by someone who starts talking to you, usually offering something, generally wanting something. They can be hard to shake off. The way the story is told is just like that.

The stranger talks to you from the pages, taking you to a restaurant in Lahore...
Published on 9 Dec 2011 by Drifter

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars reluctant fundamentalist, 5 Aug 2012
Easy to read but unsatisfactory conclusion. the protagonist is seen as utterly self seeking.he had little sympathy for those killed and injured in the 9/11 attacks and tried to justify his fundamentalist views.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very clever manipulation of western guilt feelings, 9 Nov 2008
P. Tummon "LeapingSalmon" (Cape Town South Africa) - See all my reviews
Mohsin has written a clever book, which in my humble opinion should never have been published. It adds to the myth that there is something fundamentally wrong with western culture, in particular with that of the USA. While that of his country of birth Pakistan is painted as idlyllicaly humane and caring. This type of distortion is dangerous and feeds the bigots who want to undermine the self confidence of the West while being totally uncritical of the failings of the East. Would such a critical book written by a western have been published in Pakistan? Certainly not, I would suggest. I would discourage potential readers from buying this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars More like a short story, 3 Feb 2014
Our book group read this and no one thought much of it. The ending is very poor. I kind of forced myself to finish it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must, 8 April 2013
An excellent read. Not at all what I was expecting. Keeps you gripped till the end. Would definitely recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars too Norwegian Wood-y, 25 April 2011
Episodes with Erica just too closely resemble those in Norwegian Wood (by Haruki Murakami) - even the firefly appears! Offers interesting things to analyse, perhaps, but I was distracted by this near 'plagiarism' (please excuse my language)...

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly average, 6 May 2008
I feel none the wiser on the clash of our two cultures having read this distinctly average book.
On a better note, it didn't take long...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and thought-provoking, 8 May 2009
Sparely but evocatively written, this book makes you think. It does not lecture, it does not provide resolution, but it made me consider the issues more carefully than the normal one-sided diatribes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Nov 2014
interesting

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hype., 29 Mar 2010
It's just a normal love-story set against sensitive events. At some points, it's just plain high-school stuff.
I was expecting some heavy-duty, thought-provoking stuff but that wasn't the case.

My 2c.

1.0 out of 5 stars BIG disappointment, 9 May 2008
The title of the book and the front cover picture are somewhat deceptive. I kept waiting for the book to get interesting and deal with the issues I expected it would, but it never did. The story is about a Pakistani man who has a thing for some crazy suicidal American girl, and its basically him sat talking about her for the whole story. I hated the style it was written in. I thought to myself if someone came up to me in a restaurant and started talking like that for hours and hours I would get up and leave. How this book won a prize is beyond me. I was expecting a story about a man who was drawn into a more extreme form of Islam reluctantly. If thats what you are looking for them look elsewhere. If you want a story about a Muslim pakistani who couldnt care less about religion, and only wants to focus of sleeping with a pretty American girl (with little success) then this is the story for you. Oh, and that picture of the author in the back of the book is so annoying. How dare you smile so broadly knowing that you have cheated me out of £8? I will not buy another one of your books again. AAArrrggghhh.

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 | Next ›

The Reluctant Fundamentalist
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (Audio CD - May 2007)