5.0 out of 5 stars A box of delights...
I decided to treat myself for my birthday by purchasing this complete Holmes box set. The item arrived today and I am really pleased with it. I envisiged cd's in platic sleeves, lots of them! I couldn't have been further from the truth.
Published on 2 Aug. 2011 by Richard Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars But wots the point......Read on......
Why payout all this money when you can buy all this on a disk in MP3 format from a well known 'auction site' on a CD disk for a few quid, a very few quid. And it is this very collection with Merrison. I have it all and a second disk with al this and more of sherock holmes. Nuff said, but it is a pity this review will probably be deleted by Amazon very quickly. Shame.
Published on 16 Mar. 2013 by Mr spageti

5.0 out of 5 stars A box of delights..., 2 Aug. 2011
Richard Rogers "spitfire" (Flintshire, N Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes: Every Sherlock Holmes Novel and Story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; Performed by a Full Cast (Audio CD)
This is a well presented box set, in sturdy packaging. On the back of the box is a list of all the plays, divided into 16 parts. For example; 'The Cardboard Box' is in Part 12, His Last Bow Vol.1. Open the box (a flip over lid) and each cd case is numbered 1 to 16 along the spine with the volume it belongs to, so locating an individual episode is easy.
Each case,made from robust card, contains 4 cd's and are the size of a single case. They all have the art work on the front and fold out once to reveal a brief description of each play, opening again to present the cd's. The only quibble I can think of is that there is no cast listing for each indidual play.
The contents are as follows...

The 4 Novels...
-A Study in Scarlet
-The Sign of the Four
-The Hound of the Baskervilles
-The Valley of Fear

-The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (12 cases)
-The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (12 cases)
-The Return of Sherlock Holmes (12 cases)
-His Last Bow (8 cases)
-The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (12 cases)

The price makes this a special purchase but any Sherlock Holmes fan would treasure such a wonderful adaption of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work. Merrison and Wiliams are perfect as Holmes and Watson. Add an appearance by other great actors (Brian Blessed springs to mind), Bert Coules' dramatisation skills and this box set is pure gold! I will take year after year of pleasure listening and revisting these brilliant plays. A SOUND investment :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible for me to praise this enough., 9 Mar. 2013
This has without doubt been the best audio purchase I have ever made. I must have listened to every story in excess of a dozen times over the last 6 years since I had the great fortune to be given volume 1 of this excellent series.

Simply put, the acting is excellent, the production is superb, the violin background music is subtle yet hugely effective and the overall atmosphere is truly wonderful.

If you are new to Sherlock Holmes or a seasoned veteran I can highly recommend these to you as they are very easy to pick up and listen to. I listened to the stories back to back during an 800 mile drive from Britain through France and it really helped to while away the hours.

I would go into details about the stories and the content but I think the other Amazon review pretty much covers all of that. If however there is more you would like to know please post a comment and I will answer it as I am keen to encourage others to listen to these are so they may get as much enjoyment as I have from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate achievement from all concerned with this production......, 8 Jan. 2014
I thought I should add a few words expressing my delight at the quality of performance and production values as captured in this production; the collection is not cheap but if you can afford it I urge you to purchase this set, it is excellent value and will reward repeat playing over the years.
As an aside, it is worth noting that the price can fluctuate if you hang back before purchasing - I did just that and managed to get this on Amazon on Christmas Day at the sale price of £131 pounds - who says there is no Santa?

Update....
I thought I should add some 'minor' irritations I am noticing as I delve further into this collection; I have noticed that in deference to our transatlantic 'cousins' and in a outrageous attempt to make this set more palatable to an American audience you have to accept language 'bastardisations' such as 'blocks' and not London 'streets', Holmes and Watson drink Coffee and not Tea which is palpably absurd and regular reference to 'gems' instead of Jewels - as I say minor irritations perhaps in what is still a first rate set but still annoying nevertheless.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Biz., 13 July 2012
If you, like me, are a true Sherlock Holmes fan this is the Audio book collection to die for. Clive Merrison and Michael Williams are truely excellent in the leading roles, backed up by a full cast.
This is not some too bit production, this is the real deal. I believe Jeremy Brett to be the best
small screen(any screen) portrayal of the man, Clive Merrison is the audio equivalent. You can find all you favourite stories here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend highly enough, 29 Mar. 2013
A huge set of mainly 45 minute episodes, and some 2 hour productions, of Conan Doyle's classic Sherlock Holmes stories.

A good friend of mine bought this for me and I see it as one of the best gifts I have ever received. It is brilliantly done, brilliantly acted, and although, like I said, they are mainly short episodes, they pack in every ounce of the story and put you there with Sherlock and Watson as they unravel the best crime mysteries ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 10 Dec. 2014
I have always loved listening to these versions, the voice cast an production is fantastic - Sherlock as it should be. The box is really nice and of decent quality. Really glad I snatched this up when I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Conan Doyle, 16 July 2013
Had this on tape and my recorder broke,so I could not wait to listen to it on CD,Thanks so much

3.0 out of 5 stars But wots the point......Read on......, 16 Mar. 2013