Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 November 2010
This is such a sweet story! I am guessing the Frost Fair referred to is the 1814 one, and it's nature is beautifully portrayed, providing an interesting backdrop for Erastes' romantic tale. The characters have a pleasing depth and there is enough plot to keep readers' attention. Unfortunately I can't say much more without giving too much away

This seemed a short read and probably falls into the 'novella' category. I feel the characters would bear further airing, so I hope Erastes will bring them back to us in a subsequent story. Evokes it's period well and offers us believable heroes, gentle angst and a cad of a bad guy. A fine example of it's genres, both M/M Romance and Historical novel.
on 15 April 2009
I'm not your typical romance reader (does that sound apologetic?) - and I completely enjoyed the story. I read this just after finishing "Standish" and I just enjoy reading every book from an author the moment I "discovered" them. Well, now I "discovered" Erastes, and I really enjoy seeing the progression of the work as I read from the debut, to, hopefully (I'm waiting for its arrival) "Transgressions".

But now for this book. "Frost Fair" takes us back to a London claimed by winter. The Thames is frozen, and there's something Dickensian about how Erastes describes the capital and its inhabitants, the squalor, the fear, the morals. Gideon, a young printer, is out of luck, but determined to make his way, somehow. A hard, diligent worker, he recognizes an opportunity when he sees it. He sets up shop on the frozen Thames and sells prints - until he falls victim to sabotage, and he falls in love with a client; a shockingly transgressive act in a time and place where love between middle and working class or a "gentleman" and a mere "trader" is just as impossible as love between two men.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short novella and will now move on to read "Speak its Name." I hope "Transgressions" will have arrived by then.