5.0 out of 5 stars Soulprint by Mark Batterson, 18 Mar 2011
This book is essentially a plea from the author that we would fundamentally get to know, and be, our true selves found in Jesus Christ. Looking at various examples in the life of King David, Mark Batterson explains how God has designed each of us uniquely, which is a place of great privilege, yet great responsibility.
Listening to the opening chapters and blurb about this book I thought for a moment that this book was going to tell me to `be the best I could be' by following another self-help book, but this is not that kind of book! Batterson's idea is that each of us has a unique `soulprint' in the same way that we have a unique fingerprint, and that we will experience fullness of life when we embrace that soulprint for what it is.
David's life gives a great biblical example of a man who God used for a unique purpose regardless of what the world thought of him. I think Batterson does a great job of explaining occasions in David's life using contemporary examples, and he really communicates the extent to which God loves to think about and plan for us, while at the same time underlining the phenomenal responsibility which comes with that.
The book is filled with personal stories from Mark's life which really added a good depth to it, and it made it even more special that the audiobook was narrated by him - his voice isn't the most natural narrator but for his own book it doesn't make much difference, he's easy to listen to and it's always nice to hear the author's own work.
I can't imagine any Christian not being impacted by this book so I'm happy to give this a blank recommendation to you if you're a Christian, I'm sure you'd enjoy, and be encouraged and challenged by it.
I got this audiobook for free from christianaudio.com. I'm not required to give a positive review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and funny, 24 Jan 2012
In Soulprint Mark uses the story of King David as his main biblical example, and it would have benefited from more quoting of other relevant verses - while everything in it is Biblically sound a few more verses here and there wouldn't have gone amiss. Another minor gripe I have is the verse references are all in the form of endnotes so are a bit of a pain to look up.
There are plenty of anecdotes from his personal experience, so if you don't enjoy books where the author shares a lot about their life you'll probably want to pass on this. Personally I found they made the book very easy to read, and there is a great humorous style throughout it too - Mark also tackles tough theological issues, such as what King Saul was doing when he went into the cave to relive himself and David cut off part of his robe (he reaches the conclusion, after looking at the original text and cultural background that it was probably a number two...)
This is a book that will make you think, and it gives plenty of ideas for ways to live out the identity God has for you - if you engage with this book it will equip you to make Christ-honouring changes in your life.
Legal note - I was given a free review copy by the publisher, but was under no pressure to write a positive review

SOULPRINT
SOULPRINT by BATTERSON MARK (Paperback - 1 Jan 2011)