5.0 out of 5 stars The start to a Fantasy Series in Golarion, 3 Sept. 2010
Jens Loesel (Deal, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves (Paperback)
The Prince of Wolves is the first book in a new series of fantasy novels that are based in Golarion - the world setting of the Pathfinder Role-Playing Game. I felt the start of the book was slow - but then it grabbed my attention and I read the remaining book in a day or two.
Without spoiling the plot - I felt it was an interesting plot, well written with interesting characters. In the end you hope to find out more about the two heroes - the Half-Elven Pathfinder Varian Jeggare and his Devil-blooded bodyguard Radovan.
So what is Golarion? It is a fantasy world that was build for the Pathfinder roleplaying game. The Pathfinders Society is a group of adventurers and tomb raiders. The closest analogy of books I read is probably the Harper Series based in the Forgotten Realms.
So to whom would I recommend the book?
If you are a Pathfinder player and like fantasy - then this is a great way to read more about some areas of the world without spoiling adventures you plan to play.
If you don't care about Pathfinder or Golarion, then this is still a solid fantasy novel that I can recommend.
Is there a downside? As mentioned in the header - this is the very first book in a series. While Paizo has lined up more authors (Elaine Cunningham who wrote the second of the harper books being the next) to write more stories it looks currently like a slow schedule (one book a quarter) and as success isn't guaranteed. If you are looking for many books to read in a short time you might want to wait or look for a different series right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining book., 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves (Paperback)
Not knowing anything about the Pathfinder setting, and wanting to read a d&d novel for the first time in many years, I decided to go with this one. Not a bad choice. I really liked this one alot. The main characters, Radovan and the Count, are kind of like Holmes and Watson, in a way, and they each have their own skills and flaws. Together they complement eachother very well. It is well written, with alot of humor and quite abit of action. I was well entertained the whole way, and I had alot of fun reading it, as well. Knowing nothing about the Pathfinder setting was no problem at all. The book was easy to get into. What I did miss was a map, tough. Every fantasy book needs a map! I will definatly read the next 3 books about these two fellows, and I am looking forward to doing so. Great work, Dave Gross.

A solid 4 star rating from me. I recomend this one, easily, to everyone who likes fantasy, mystery, and a good adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to the Pathfinder Tales line, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves (Paperback)
Prince of Wolves has restored my interest in novels based on fantasy roleplaying games. It is an evocative, character-driven tale set in Ustalav, the Pathfinder RPG world of Golarion's analogue of Transylvania. It introduces two heroes with very different backgrounds and personalities, and the tale advances by switching between their perspectives to great effect. If you've read RPG novels in the past and been less than impressed, give this a try. It's written for a mature, intelligent reader and it will immerse you in a rich, gothic horror story filled with interesting characters, classic and unusual monsters, and surprising plot twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Dave Gross!, 4 Feb. 2011
M. Richards "Creativity Czar" (Cincinnati Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves (Paperback)
This book is the first in the new Pathfinder Tales fiction line for Paizo's Pathfinder game setting, Golarion. The storytelling method in this book is very interesting and pulled me in from the very beginning. I enjoy it when a book doesn't follow the standard storytelling format and tries something new and this is definitely an author who is not at all afraid to try something new. I implore you to check this book out, you will not be disappointed.

Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves
Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2010)