5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it...
Published on 27 July 2011 by Scally Cross

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
After reading the reviews, I decided to purchase this book. Unfortunately I found it very disappointing & meals either very bland or very spicy. Recipes included such ingredients as half a cup of Chipotle (Smoked chillies apparently), smoked paprika, cayenne hot sauce, liquid smoke, chili garlic sauce, kasha, Bhutanese red rice, red pepper flakes, tamarind concentrate,...
Published 18 months ago by Ravenschild

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum, 16 May 2013
D. Goodridge (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
Great, relatively simple recipes that usually come out very well. Still exploring the book. The oft mentioned niggle with ICM's books is that sometimes you don't know what the ingredient is as she uses the American-English word. It's not frequent and I'm sure I could google the ones I can't decipher, but hey it allows some experimentation - I'm sure the author would approve.

The layout is clear. There are some pictures - not alongside the recipes - to get your taste buds going. ICM makes some helpful suggestions for different combinations of dishes from the book. Her style is upbeat and breezy - and is I suspect one you'll either love or loathe - happily I'm in the former camp - so best to read an excerpt if you can.

And they're all low fat and low cal. All the figures for protein, fat, carb and other nutrients (eg calcium) in each dish are listed for a standard portion in the margin next to the recipe which you may find helpful.

She also indicates how to make the recipes gluten-free - where it's possible - which I've appreciated.

No puds hence the 4 stars, but I appreciate that is slightly churlish given the book's intention.

All in all, thoroughly recommended as a means of taking you down to the Paradise City without the (Axel?) grease.

Ps In case my bad puns put you off, ICM makes no references to the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply delicious, 25 Oct 2011
Absolutely worth buying this book if you enjoy simple, delicious, healthy food. The food is full of flavour, is always a little different, and inspires you to be more creative in the kitchen. Easy to follow recipes, and so so tasty to eat... Enjoy! (Would make a great present for a vegetarian/ vegan friend too... recipes this tasty are few and far between!)

5.0 out of 5 stars she's done it again!, 13 Oct 2011
Mrs. J. Taylor "vegan bunny hugger" (west yorks, uk) - See all my reviews
I have vegan with a vengeance and was impressed with that and this is another amazing book by her... without compromising the taste! Today I made scarlet barley with smoked paprika beans...in red wine sauce. Delicious! I had a friend over and she adored it too. I have tons of vegan cookbooks and Isa is by far the best. You wouldn't know the recipes were low fat and Isa mixes herbs and spices together amazingly, things that you wouldn't normally put together (spinach and stawberries in a balsamic glaze?) and they really go welll. BUY THIS BOOK. For any of you that don't know Isa chandra's books...once you get one you won't look back!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's an ok cook book but I swear you can't ..., 7 July 2014
It's an ok cook book but I swear you can't buy half this stuff in the normal supermarket, I had to look up what things are.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a 5* Book, 29 Sep 2012
After reading the reviews of this book and a recommendation from a friend I decided to purchase this book but I am disappointed with it. I have looked through it a few times and was not impressed with the recipes or the style of writing but decided this week to give it a try.
Hottie Back-Eyed Peas and Green - page 119 - Frankly this was very bland and ended up added lots more flavour to it myself.
Broiled Blackened Tofu - page 147 - this was awful - Tofu ended up very bitter and I made it with the best Spanish sweet paprika. Made a tomato type curry sauce and added it to this to make it edible. I would have thrown it in the bin but OH ate it.
"Caulipots" - 2 pages for mashed potato with cauliflower!!!

Sorry - not my kind of book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully inventive and interesting. Great for non vegans, 6 July 2012
D1HAJ "D1HAJ" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book contains a plethora of recipes, suitably categorised by ingredient or style of cooking eg a chapter on soups, one on salads, one on stews etc. Iit uses American weights and ingredient names but otherwise is of international appeal. The first chapter on salads and salad dressings is superb, and I shall be eating nothing else for the rest of this month as I sample my way through them.

Everything about this book worked for me apart from the glaring geographical error where the author dreams of sitting down to eat Irish Stew and beer whilst watching "The Wicker Man" in a pub in Ireland. Unfortunately for the author, "The Wicker Man" is a film set in Scotland (part of the UK) - on the Isle of Whithorn, in Dumfries and Galloway, a region of south west Scotland - and nowhere near the Emerald Isle across the water, which is a whole other country. It's as bad a mixing up Texas and Mexico, or Canada and the US! The 11th Wickerman Festival is on 20 and 21 July 2012.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bemused, 5 Jan 2014
I think that if the index was in alphabetical order it would be a GREAT help :{ I had to google Panko breadcrumbs because the author must have assumed that I would know what they are and did not bother to include them in the index at all. I havent tried any recipes yet but things like that can really put me off a book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garlic and smoked paprika, 27 Sep 2011
What a disappointment! So much repetition of ingredients, particularly garlic and smoked paprika. For just about any meal you had to cook 2 dishes and often neither were particularly simple and both needing frequent care while cooking. The recipe instructions seemed simple until you started in and then there were bits that just didn't make sense. But most annoying of all was in making 2 dishes for each meal the calories added up so not low-calories at all other than using a lot of spray oil ... ugh!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 30 Nov 2013
I read all the reviews and wanted to love this book however I just cant. It calls for stupid ingredients uses measurements that are far from standard and the few things I did try were bland. I saw it described as a "normal" cookbook but I disagree entirely .

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
8.39