5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better
Published on 27 July 2011 by Scally Cross

3.0 out of 5 stars Fab book but lacks photos
This cook book is a fantastic read, especially for any new vegans interested in learning more about vegan nutrition and a healthy balanced diet made simple but yummy. Throughout the book there are helpful little tips and notes which are great. I would recommend this book, however and it is a big however, it lacks photos which I think are critical for any good cookbook...
Published 16 months ago by Beth

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it with seitan) is delish. Having the calorie count per serving really helps too. Only point to note is that this is an American cookbook, and needs some translation for UK users - so a tablespoon is a uk dessert spoon, arugula is rocket leaves, cilantro is coriander, shortening is cookeen or trex and canola oil is rapeseed oil. The cookipedia web site is a useful reference for translating.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a 'Normal' vegan cookery book, 20 Mar. 2011
Mrs. Gail Brewster (Doncaster UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It is so refreshing to find a vegan cookery book that uses 'normal' ingredients and gives sensible honest advice. I love this book. I am a fairly new vegetarian and want to go a step further and become vegan. The money I have wasted on so called 'vegan cookery books' doesn't bear thinking about and none of them have inspired me to take the next step. Isa's book is wonderfully refreshing. There are of course American names for some of the ingredients but once you've sussed that cilantro is corriander, escarole is endive, sriracha is hot chilli sauce and kasha is buckwheat then you've basically cracked it. The recipes are dilicious and are guided as Gluten-free, Soy-free and under 30 minutes which helps when you want something quick and easy to make. You don't even notice that the recipes are all low fat because they are really tasty.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, healthy, quick, fun, 9 Sept. 2012
I really like this book.

The reading is enjoyable and has some interesting facts. The meals are nice (have'nt tried them all).
But the ones i have were quick ones, but tasty and nutrionally rich. Which appeals to me. I actually find myself enjoying preparing and cooking the dishes, For me thats something. Look forward to trying more, many more.

I gave four stars as ingredients are sometimes hard to find, and can be different as this is an American author e.g cilantro which in uk is coriander. I adjust and tweek, which i think all recipes need to anyway. But i am really happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low fat food that tastes fantastic!, 28 July 2014
cupcake girl (The Provinces, England) - See all my reviews
I have finally found the holy grail of low fat cookbooks. This is real food that will fill you up and make your belly happy, oh, and it just so happens to be vegan. I've been on the 5.2 diet for a while, mainly for health longevity reasons (although losing weight is also a bonus) and I must admit I struggle with the lack of food on a starvey day whereas the hubs has found it easy. This book has really helped me stay on track on starvey days, the salads really fill me up and are surprisingly satisfying. Nutritional information is included for each recipe. The recipes are perfect for any day of the week, i don't just limit them to fast days. They may be low in fat but they are full of flavour. My favourites so far have been:
Everyday Quinoa Chickpea Salad - full of protein and good things and the dressing made from a blend of cashews, balsamic vinegar and other stuff is gorg, I've always hated bottled dressings from the supermarket, this is heaps better.

Big fat Taco Salad - my favourite salad in the world ever because it has tortilla chips in it! Even my children dig this salad. The slightly lower in fat version of Guacamole, "Guacamame" made from a blend of avocados and edamame beans is awesome, tastes just like the real thing. I hated the salsa dressing, however. It tasted like vinegary tomatoes so I won't bother with it again.

Mango Bbq beans - a big hit with the kiddos and quite easy to make. Just a smidgen of agave and a whole mango provide the sweetness.

Jerk Asparagus - made this several times when British asparagus was at it's prime and man, is it spicy! That's a good thing though.

I've made other things that I wouldn't make again but nothing has been in edible. Overall it's a winner. I have most of Isa's books and although this isn't my favourite, it's definitely the most used as I can't live on a diet of cupcakes alone, I did try. Ingredients are all easily found in supermarkets and health food shops, she tends to use the same blend of spices for several of the recipes so you won't find yourself buying some random ingredient and never using it again. There are not pictures for every recipe but there is about 6 pages in the middle of the book with photos, but I can live with that.
As a lifelong omnivore, I found these dishes incredibly satisfying and I didn't miss the meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and quick vegan recipes. Love., 8 Feb. 2011
This book is a brilliant. I already have several of Isa's cookbooks but I had some reservations about low fat cooking, thinking it might be bland or a bit 70s boiled lentil-y vegan. However, everything I have made from the book has been super tasty and filling. The author states at the beginning that the recipes are designed for weeknight cooking and that they are pretty fast to make, I'm not the most amazing cook in the world but with this book I have been cooking when I get home from work. I love Isa's commentary and the hints and tips throughout the book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want fast, healthy and tasty vegan food then this is the one, 6 July 2011
Amazon Customer (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers I too have been glad to find a book that uses easy to find ingredients and meals that you can prepare in 30 mins or less. If you have a bit of extra time (marinating etc) then there are options for this too. The only downside would be for some the lack of photos for each recipe (this seems to be the norm for many US cook books) but it is only a tiny downside and didn't spoil the book for me personally.

At the beginning of each chapter Isa Chandra has written some useful tips and suggestions which are also amusing and informative.

Being a bit of a spice lover there is plenty in this book for me to try with dishes from around the globe. Just make sure that you do a quick google for an alternative to some US names eg Eggplant - Aubergine / Collards - Spring Greens / Yams - Sweet Potatoes etc etc.

Another book I will return to on a regular basis as I improve my vegan repertoire of dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars does not dissapoint, even the meat munchers!, 15 Mar. 2011
Mrs. LH Scott Thompson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
brilliant book, loads of fab new recipes to try. Im currently pregnant and vegan so trying to be as balanced as possible without piling on to many pounds via cakes and cookies (im allowed im eating for 2! :) so far found loads of exciting recipes to try and made the roasted beetroot, orange and wild rice salad. My meat munching husband and i gave this hearty salad 10/10 the dressing was just amazing. the yam, black bean orange and cilantro soup was amazing 10/10. yet again another winner from Isa, keep it up lady your keeping us well fed, nutritionally balanced and provding us with lotsa treats from your cupcake and cookies books. a defo favourite. :) I am always so excited for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous - easy and tasty, 24 April 2012
bought this last year as I felt like dipping into the world of vegan cooking. I have loved browsing through it and everything I have cooked, I would cook again. I have just made the Eggplant Dengaku and had it with rice - delish. For those who think some ingredients are repeated too often, just adjust and use the base as a template. The forty clove chickpea and broccoli is another favourite. A great addition to anyone's kitchen. I think this will be my vegan Delia...! Thanks Isa.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and I'm not even a vegan!, 15 Jun. 2013
When I am just a shadow of my former self and everyone's whispering "if anything, she's got TOO skinny", this book will be the reason why. I'm not even vegan, I just figured that maybe eating less animal might be a semi-decent way to lose some weight without trying too hard, and lo and behold - I was right! The recipes here are scrumptious, and that's not even an exaggeration. I'm yet to make a duff one, and I must have cooked half the book by now. Hottie Beans & Greens and Mango BBQ Beans are both amazing and now weeknight staples in my house, with big steamy spoonfuls dumped over baked sweet potato. Black-bean, Zucchini & Olive Tacos are as good as everyone else who's reviewed the book tells you they will be (and that's far better than I was expecting - delicious, basically). I also really loved the Carribean Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Plantain (def worth making the extra effort to find the plantain - it makes it), as well as the Canellini & Mushroom Paprikas, Miso Udon Stir-fry, Upside Down Lentil Shepherds Pie, Eggplant Provencal, Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew, Aubergine Chilli Bean Mole - there's so many great dinners in here and they're all quick, cheap and really good for you. Many of the recipes even possess that most magical property of tasting even better reheated next day than they did fresh, and that's about the highest praise I can give out. Yes, more pictures would be nice, yes, there are many Americanisms, but to get hung up on these tiny details would be to miss out on one of the best cookbooks I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 22 Dec. 2013
This book gives some amazing recipes - I have to say I was a bit sceptical reading some of them but I gave them a go and they were amazing - tasty and filling. I can't be doing with half a lettuce leaf food - these were big healthy calorie counted delicious meals. An American book so I had to google a couple of things but all in all highly recommended.

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2011)