5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better
Published on 27 July 2011 by Scally Cross

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
After reading the reviews, I decided to purchase this book. Unfortunately I found it very disappointing & meals either very bland or very spicy. Recipes included such ingredients as half a cup of Chipotle (Smoked chillies apparently), smoked paprika, cayenne hot sauce, liquid smoke, chili garlic sauce, kasha, Bhutanese red rice, red pepper flakes, tamarind concentrate,...
Published 19 months ago by Ravenschild

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it with seitan) is delish. Having the calorie count per serving really helps too. Only point to note is that this is an American cookbook, and needs some translation for UK users - so a tablespoon is a uk dessert spoon, arugula is rocket leaves, cilantro is coriander, shortening is cookeen or trex and canola oil is rapeseed oil. The cookipedia web site is a useful reference for translating.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a 'Normal' vegan cookery book, 20 Mar 2011
Mrs. Gail Brewster (Doncaster UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It is so refreshing to find a vegan cookery book that uses 'normal' ingredients and gives sensible honest advice. I love this book. I am a fairly new vegetarian and want to go a step further and become vegan. The money I have wasted on so called 'vegan cookery books' doesn't bear thinking about and none of them have inspired me to take the next step. Isa's book is wonderfully refreshing. There are of course American names for some of the ingredients but once you've sussed that cilantro is corriander, escarole is endive, sriracha is hot chilli sauce and kasha is buckwheat then you've basically cracked it. The recipes are dilicious and are guided as Gluten-free, Soy-free and under 30 minutes which helps when you want something quick and easy to make. You don't even notice that the recipes are all low fat because they are really tasty.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous - easy and tasty, 24 April 2012
bought this last year as I felt like dipping into the world of vegan cooking. I have loved browsing through it and everything I have cooked, I would cook again. I have just made the Eggplant Dengaku and had it with rice - delish. For those who think some ingredients are repeated too often, just adjust and use the base as a template. The forty clove chickpea and broccoli is another favourite. A great addition to anyone's kitchen. I think this will be my vegan Delia...! Thanks Isa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and quick vegan recipes. Love., 8 Feb 2011
This book is a brilliant. I already have several of Isa's cookbooks but I had some reservations about low fat cooking, thinking it might be bland or a bit 70s boiled lentil-y vegan. However, everything I have made from the book has been super tasty and filling. The author states at the beginning that the recipes are designed for weeknight cooking and that they are pretty fast to make, I'm not the most amazing cook in the world but with this book I have been cooking when I get home from work. I love Isa's commentary and the hints and tips throughout the book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want fast, healthy and tasty vegan food then this is the one, 6 July 2011
Helen B (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers I too have been glad to find a book that uses easy to find ingredients and meals that you can prepare in 30 mins or less. If you have a bit of extra time (marinating etc) then there are options for this too. The only downside would be for some the lack of photos for each recipe (this seems to be the norm for many US cook books) but it is only a tiny downside and didn't spoil the book for me personally.

At the beginning of each chapter Isa Chandra has written some useful tips and suggestions which are also amusing and informative.

Being a bit of a spice lover there is plenty in this book for me to try with dishes from around the globe. Just make sure that you do a quick google for an alternative to some US names eg Eggplant - Aubergine / Collards - Spring Greens / Yams - Sweet Potatoes etc etc.

Another book I will return to on a regular basis as I improve my vegan repertoire of dishes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, healthy, quick, fun, 9 Sep 2012
I really like this book.

The reading is enjoyable and has some interesting facts. The meals are nice (have'nt tried them all).
But the ones i have were quick ones, but tasty and nutrionally rich. Which appeals to me. I actually find myself enjoying preparing and cooking the dishes, For me thats something. Look forward to trying more, many more.

I gave four stars as ingredients are sometimes hard to find, and can be different as this is an American author e.g cilantro which in uk is coriander. I adjust and tweek, which i think all recipes need to anyway. But i am really happy with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday recipes, 10 Feb 2012
The recipes themselves are great. There are some amazing flavour combinations, from the familiar with a twist to entirely novel. The ingredients are generally easy to source or substitute as long as you are familiar with US terms for some foods. The main problem I have is that a lot of the recipes are quite chili-reliant, and I don't like all my food to taste of chili. If you leave out the chili, then double the rest of the herbs, spices and other flavourings, and it's delicious (just leaving out the chili renders them a little bland).

If you are not looking to lose weight, I would also recommend doubling the oil in many of the recipes, after you've made them once with the stated amount of oil to compare. They don't taste like "diet food" if you don't, but, as you'd expect in a book of this nature, only the bare minimum is suggested, and sometimes just a teaspoon or two more in a meal to serve four or six makes an amazing difference.

As you're supposed to combine a few different recipes at each meal, the prep and cooking time can sometimes be a little long, but every meal I've tried so far keeps well in the fridge for the next few evenings. I think you save time overall.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for new tasty recipes, whether vegan or omnivore.

5.0 out of 5 stars colouful, flavouful and entertaining., 1 Mar 2011
Another brilliant book from Isa. I love it already even though I haven't cooked many of the recipes yet. As is her previous book Veganomicon, it is humourous and accessable and full of interesting recipes and tempting pictures. I even enjoy reading it when I'm not cooking.
There are some great tofu recipes, some of which I've tried and I've also cooked silkie chickpea gravy (very versatile) and sprout and potato hash. I did find,that with the sprout and potato hash it was hard to saute it in just one teaspoon of oil. Isa does mention using a non stick spray as well and I'm not sure if this is an oil and water spray you can make up yourself.I think that using a tablespoon of oil per recipe for four would still be low fat as that would only work out as thirty calories each.
As well as there being loads of combinations of foods I would not have thought of, there are a few unusual things that you might not know or that might be hard to get in some areas. Yuca I think, is a yam like thing and I think they've got it in my local asian supermarket. Cilantro, I googled when I bought Veganomicon. In Britain we call it coriander.
This is an enjoyable book whether you are vegan or not and is a great way for carnivores to cut down their consumption of meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 22 Dec 2013
This book gives some amazing recipes - I have to say I was a bit sceptical reading some of them but I gave them a go and they were amazing - tasty and filling. I can't be doing with half a lettuce leaf food - these were big healthy calorie counted delicious meals. An American book so I had to google a couple of things but all in all highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falafels are fab!, 21 Sep 2012
I was told about this book by a friend on the forum and ordered it even though I am not a veggie or a vegan. I tried the falafels and they are really good. They are baked and I have tried lots of different recipes but none worth trying again..cardboard comes to mind. These on the other hand were delicious.
As the book is American I thought the ingredients would be hard to find...not so.
I would say if you like the odd vegetarian meal or feel that you should have more meatfree days then give this book a whirl..nothing boring or lettuce leaf about it!
I am going to try the sweet potato biscuits next...more like our savoury scone by the picture, and then caulipots....

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
8.39