Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 July 2014
This book aims to help the gluten-avoider revel in the same flavours and textures as the gluten-containing equivalent, but without that criminal ingredient spoiling all their fun.

The first chapter contains information about gluten, gluten-free ingredients, and explains how the same textures can be achieved in baking without utilising gluten-containing products, followed by a recipe for homemade gluten-free flour which can be substituted into any recipe. Chapters 2 through 10 contain a large assortment of recipes under the following subheadings:

Quick breads and muffins
Biscuits and scones
Pancakes and crepes
Waffles and French toast
Coffee cakes
Yeast breads and sweet rolls
Frittatas and omelets
Quiches
Savoury Stratas

Each chapter begins with a brief discussion of equipment, techniques and quick tips to achieve the desired results, and the recipe chapters are followed by appendices giving advice on ingredients with and without gluten, potential substitutions should the reader have an allergy to some of the other ingredients, and tips on converting favourite recipes to gluten-free.

As you can see there is a lot of useful information within this book, and each chapter also contains plenty of recipes. Whilst some of the ingredients were alien to me, there appears to be a core range that are used frequently. All in all, this seems a very useful book for anyone new to gluten-free cooking or desperate to recreate favourite gluten-containing foods of old.
on 28 May 2015
I have to start this review by saying how impressed I am with this book. From the way it has been written, to the detail for people who are new to Gluten Free cooking, to the variety in each section of the book, this is one of the best gluten free cookbooks I've picked up.

Linda J Amendt admits in her opening to the book that she herself doesn't have coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance. But she does have food allergies and friends with gluten intolerances and so takes the need to be careful with gluten very seriously.

She has gone into great detail surrounding cross-contamination, different gluten free flours and flour blends, and how to make your kitchen gluten free, which as many of you know can be quite the ordeal!

In each section she provides information on the best types of pans and equipment to buy to get the best results. It is clear that she has taken great time and care to ensure that people embarking on trying out her recipes get the best possible results.

Now, I am a huge fan of American breakfast food, breads, cakes, waffles, and best of all pancakes! As someone with a gluten allergy I've seen these disappear, great for the waste-line not so great for the taste-buds! This book is a treasure trove of treats, for fellow Brits, there is a metric conversion chart on Page 228 or I recommend keeping an eye on Aldi who regularly sell imperial measuring sets at bargain prices!

I'm particularly bowled over with a whole section on Pancakes & Crepes, I have a particular weakness for these little babies. Having been through the waffle section I will definitely be adding a waffle iron to the shopping list!

I've also learned that when Americans refer to Coffee Cake they don't mean 'Coffee Cake' as us Brits mean as in cake with coffee in. They mean cakes that go well with coffee. An important distinction to make when you are allergic to caffeine and can't eat the Brit version of 'Coffee Cake'!

I highly recommend this book, it will definitely be getting used loads in this house!

Finally, Thanks to Taunton Press for the ARC copy of the book to review!
on 22 January 2015
I rather like that this book is not written by someone who has themselves got a problem with digesting gluten. As a vegetarian who hasn't eaten a sausage for several decades, I know that my opinion of a veggie-sausage would not convince a meat eater, so in the same way I thought that if the recipes are pleasing to the author, then they will be alright for my wheat intolerant husband. I was right. This isn't a veggie cookbook, but there are lots of recipes we can use, plus substitution is fairly easy. The recipes work, and are presented in a clean, modern way, with an approachable layout, well written instructions, and plenty of bright, and realistic pictures. Starting with useful information and a base recipe for several flours, the recipes that follow are preceded by instructions for methods and great tips. We love the (Double) Corn Muffins, the better-than-they-sound Parsley Biscuits, the Pumpkin Pancakes, and the variations of what the author calls 'strata' a lovely name for a baked dish of ingredients layered with slices of GF bread that certainly take the book 'beyond' breakfast and brunch! The final chapters usefully show you how to convert your usual recipes to GF, and warn about hidden gluten in unexpected foodstuffs. I was prepared to be unimpressed as I have read quite a few GF cookbooks, but I was impressed. The recipes are cosy, comfy and tasty, and yet they are also often unusual and innovative. Jolly good book!!
As a GF cook, I was given a copy of this book via NetGalley, in return for a completely unbiased review.
on 22 January 2016
A good fun book to have if you are following a gluten free diet. Although published for the American market, it's easy to get used to using cups and once you know that 1 stick of butter equals 4oz, you're away. What I like is the standard 'gluten free all purpose mix' recipe. Yes it can be a flaff getting white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch, but once bought, you can make up a large batch as this is the basis of the majority of recipes. So far I have made the traditional pancakes, easy waffles and buttermilk waffles and they all turned out brilliantly. I'll definitely be trying out a lot more recipes from this book.
on 24 June 2015
This was pleasantly informative and full of ideas and great recipes. I would have liked if it used less processed sugar and maybe tried to simplify the recipes a bit but I do understand that baking gluten-free is a lot more difficult. The book is written for Americans so you'll need to arm yourself with conversion charts if you're not one.
on 22 January 2014
I aim to follow a gluten free diet so this book is full of interesting recipes which I shall enjoy trying. Arrived in good condition.
on 8 June 2014
Lots of good ideas. My grandchildren loved making and eating the pancakes and were so proud to share them with their Dad