5.0 out of 5 stars epic man, 29 July 2013
Would have been a pleasure to meet this gentleman. He book is amazingi and well written, shame I cannot read it on my android tablet as kindle not compatible

5.0 out of 5 stars A carpenter's look at life and the world around us, 29 Oct 2011
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Larry Haun, who died in September, 2011 at the age of 80, was a "carpenter's carpenter". So strong he was able to hammer nails in two swings - "one to set, one to finish" - he worked on all sorts of houses and other buildings in his life as a master carpenter. He tells his life story with a review of the houses he had built. Larry Haun was born on the plains of Nebraska in the depths of the Depression. The fourth of five children, he describes living an early life of poverty made bearable by having a loving and active family life. He left home at 18, roaming the US - and the world - building both homes and a philosophy to live by as the years passed.

Larry Haun, like architect Sarah Susanka, had a problem with the big, wasteful houses - "McMansions" - being built without regard to need and ecological ramifications. He was very much a proponent of the "green movement" in home building in the United States. Too much shopping and too much "stuff" make up our lives these days. "Born to shop" was definitely not Larry Haun's mantra. And, okay, there's where some slight ethical questions will sneak into my review. I am not a shopper and I detest the huge, soulless houses I see being built everywhere, BUT, a lot of people do like to shop and do like to live in those behemoths. Is it my right to criticise them? Was it Larry Haun's right? Of course, I doubt many people described above would buy and read Larry Haun's memoir, so maybe I shouldn't worry about "hurt feelings" by those in big houses with fast cars.

If you're looking for a good book about life on the Plains and New Mexico and California and Oregon - among other places - while living in "soddys", quonset huts, adobe, strawbarns, and other local buildings, then you'll enjoy Larry Haun's writing. I just bet that if he were still with us, he'd be marching with the "OWS" group, carrying a sign saying, "Tax the Rich". And that's okay; he had the creds to do it.

A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses
A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses by Larry Haun (Audio CD - 12 Jan 2012)
31.98