5.0 out of 5 stars One to buy!, 16 Oct 2009
This review is from: John Howe Fantasy Drawing Workshop: A Drawing Course in 10 Step by Step Projects (Paperback)
John's new book Fantasy Drawing Workshop is much more than the drawing course in 10 step-by-step projects as stated on its cover. Following the introduction John takes a brief look at the difference between sketching an drawing before moving onto the nitty gritty, which is not as you'd expect the actual projects, there are a couple of steps to consider first such as how to correctly sharpen your pencil and more importantly how to hold the pencil. Now you may imagine you already know how to hold a pencil, I was quite confident that I could hold one anyway. Well, don't be so sure, the technique looks a bit odd at first it really does work. After a couple of minutes this pencil holding technique gets results. There is more to this book though than showing us how to hold a pencil. The book has suggestions as to what equipment to use along with where and when to sketch, there's also a section on drawing techniques followed by a guide to drawing the human face.

Now, onto the projects; amongst the ten projects contained in the book, from drawing Merlin in graphite to drawing a mermaid in pastel pencils, for me the project to draw Thor and the Giant is my favourite though my Thor looked like he'd been hit with his own hammer a few times. I may never draw like John Howe, but these step by step projects at least bring me closer to achieving the skills to draw fantasy characters and scenes that actually look like something.

If you're into fantasy art you really need to buy this book, if it helps you half as much as it helped me it's worth every penny spent on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite hopeless after all., 3 April 2011
E. J. Summerhayes "Irongate" (London, England.) - See all my reviews
I spent something like three years at college, on a media course wherein drawing played some significant part. And I finished that course quite convinced that I categorically could not draw. Then, comparatively recently, I became bored enough to pick up a pencil again and give it another go - only to find out that I could draw fairly well after all (guessing my old college lecturer just wasn't a good teacher).

With some newfound ability, I thought to seek out a book that looked interesting - being a Lord of the Rings fan, this one caught my eye. And I'd say I made the right choice. As the previous reviewer notes, the first few pages alone prove invaluable, with Howe's techniques on sharpening and holding a pencil very quickly paying off.

The projects are all thoroughly engrossing and, moreover, rewarding - the satisfaction of finishing the Merlin project for the first time is, for someone who thought he couldn't draw at all, amazingly uplifting. Each project is quite different from the last, and geared toward teaching you something different; the Centaur project alone (my favourite) tutors you in drawing a mount and mounted figure, as well as weapons and armour.

I would note that, as Howe himself notes in the introduction (I think), the book does not contain a set method as some do. The steps in the projects are somewhat open to interpretation and, at times, trial and error will play a role for the reader. However, I believe I learned more through that trial and error than I might have from a more join-the-dots approach.

Ultimately, I would say that this book stands to benefit any given reader. A beginner stands to learn from and enjoy the book, and that enjoyment is just as accessible to a more advanced artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !, 30 Dec 2009
Mme Parisot (France) - See all my reviews
A really good book that explains very well the techniques of John Howe. I offered it to my husband (who is already good at drawing) and he made a very beautiful drawing the next day. He was really happy of his Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully edited and easy to follow, 13 Sep 2010
Liam Nicholson (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book gives brilliant, fresh ideas on how to develop techniques for drawing and painting fantasy pieces. It's a no nonsense guide pushing your art to new levels, without suggesting expensive pieces of equipment, or missing out the most basic hints and tips which a lot of art books skim over (expecting the readers to already know everything).

Any fan of the art and design on the lord of the rings films will love this book. It caters for beginners, but isn't dumbed down for more experienced artists. It's rather witty at times and a joy to read.

At these cheap prices its a bargain for such an amazing art book, as any art student will know how expensive good art books can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only done a couple of the exercises, 5 May 2014
Only done a couple of the exercises, but it teaches you so much.
Like how to hold a pencil properly etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing., 31 July 2013
Helpful for all interested in drawing. With helpful tips for starters and back comer like me who haven't drawn in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Drawing Made Easy, 1 May 2013
B. Hester - See all my reviews
Extremely impressed with the content of this book. Good for young and old artists alike, starters or more experienced. Plenty of designs to choose and practice from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Jan 2013
Excellent in every way! Great step by step guide to draw different fantasy characters! Recommend it for everyone that is a fan of John Howe and his work

Used & New from: £4.89