5.0 out of 5 stars Be kind to your creative self
I love this book. Apart from giving you a glimpse at how artists work It also has simple exercises to see how you work yourself, and ways to get unstuck. It's a really friendly encouraging book. It is not a project book, its a get youself going book. If you waste as much time as I do thinking about creating you need this book.
I already feel more focused and I've...
Published on 19 Oct 2009 by S. Marston

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have but not need to have
It's a lovely book - beautifully put together. But I felt I didn't learn much from it. Less a practical how-to and more a glossy aspirational. Nice to have but not need to have.
Published on 27 Jun 2011 by Galadriels Mirror

5.0 out of 5 stars Be kind to your creative self, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art (Paperback)
I already feel more focused and I've only had it for four days. The photographs are great its lovely to see where some of my favourite mixed media artists do their creative stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideas for all, 28 Nov 2009
M. Jeavans (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books I have found for tips on organising creative activities. It is both practical and inspirational. Ricë Freeman-Zachary is herself an artist and writer and understands the problems that can arise when making art. The featured artists and makers are American, but the tips and wisdom apply to anyone in the field. There are plenty of illustrations and encouraging quotes, as well as supremely practical tips and exercises on using one's time and space. I thought it might have been rather vague and theoretical, but it is very well grounded in the real world with a view to taking one's creativity seriously and making a living from it. A great addition to your reference library if you are a maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 8 Sep 2010
I have only had this book for one day. It is lovely to look through, the photographs in the book are great. The photo's of other artists studios are very inspiring. I really like the activities which can be undertaken to improve and develop my own creativity. The book is an encourager to pursue one's own creativity. A lovely book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to dip into & return to over & over again., 23 Jun 2011
I have had this and the companion book for a year and love them both! It is a well laid out, wonderfully illustrated book, rather than focusing on one artist at a time, the author uses examples from each artist throughout the book. It has inspired me to start an artist journal (20 years after leaving art college) and has helped to gently loosen my long-standing 'artist's block', by introducing me to other artist's daily practice and their frailties, as well as their successes. Reading this is like being allowed to sit unobserved in each of these artists' studios and watch them carry their ideas through to fruition - without any tedious 'step by step' or 'copy this' detail. Brilliant - I've been recommending this for the last year & will carry on re-reading it for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars creative indeed, 5 April 2012
this book is so creatively briliiant.
nice pictures, and featured artists really bring out the best of this book.
clever combination of art presentation and passion .
highly recommended.
buy now reduced price at amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent to read both slowly and quickly, 30 Nov 2011
I have been reading this book both page by page and just dipping into sections. Every time I do, I find I understand better why I have a problem finding creative time for myself. She doesn't just take a prescriptive approach (do this, make a schedule, etc.), she asks questions that make you question and really think about your relation to time, to creativity and - dare I sound so cliche - to life. Also it is an utterly gorgeous book visually. I found the artwork inspiring. So - helpful, beautiful to look at and well written. Need I say more?

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have but not need to have, 27 Jun 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, informative and inspirational read, 27 Nov 2011
This book is beautiful, and very inspirational.

The synopsis on the back of the book reads: do you long to uncover secrets to sneaking more creative time into your day, or to making your studio the perfect place to unleash your artistic potential? Have you often wondered how successful creative types seem to manage both with ease?

The books starts with an introduction, then meet the artsists section, which has a brief about each artist.
An introduction to Creative Time
Chapter 7- soul Space
Chapter 8- Real Space
Chapter 9- creative Habits
Chapter 10- taking it on the road

I love the layout of this book, the images of the artists work are colourful and well thought out, with the name of the artist with it. Throughout the book, it gives you little tasks to do and try, as well tips from the artists.

It is written in the artists perspective, so is a real insight on their lives and how they work and play at the same time.
I think this book is ideal for those creative people that just need a push in the right direction, a little help to boost their hobbies or careers.

Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art by Rice Freeman-Zachery (Paperback - 27 Nov 2009)