Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2011
I bought this book after seeing one of Nancy Marchant's patterns in the Winter 2010 VOGUEknitting magazine; it was for the 'It Takes Two' scarf, knitted in S and Z Brioche stitch. In my 65 years of knitting I had never come across anything like this before, I loved the scarf and wanted to knit it, but felt I needed more knowledge of Brioche stitch first. Since the purchase of the book, and practising the stitch required, plus the two-colour Italian cast-on, and the cast off by using a tapestry needle, I have now knitted 4 of those scarfs.

The book does not have that particular scarf pattern in it, but it does contain other beautiful patterns with full instructions, for hats, scarves, shoulder capes, sweaters and jackets, and I've got my eyes on several of them for future projects.

If you have never tried Brioche stitch and the different variations of it before, this is an excellent book to start you off, everything you need to know from start to finish.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 September 2010
This unique book covers the topic of brioche stitch. It comes complete with techniques, patterns and stitches to devise your own patterns. Good instructions and clear patterns. On the downside this book needs a little more colour sense (but you can fix that yourself) and the book would have been far better as a spiral bound so that it did not keep closing when you were trying to knit. Also the patterns are on circular needles, so if you hate that type of knitting (as I do), this book is not for you. UK knitters please bear in mind that this book uses US yarns. On the whole I enjoyed the book immensely, it's a lovely technique.
on 16 December 2010
The instructions for learning a different way of knitting are clear with good photos showing how to work various techniques, and a variety of different stitch patterns to try.
There are some wonderful styles including a capelet which, because the stitch completes a double sided fabric can be worn either side uppermost, also a "windmill jacket" which is worked from the back up to the top and down again - actually ending at the front. Different styles which although unusual are not weird, very wearable.
The garments (about 12 of them)range in size from 32" to 48" for most , some of the clearly outdoor style jumpers start at 38" and mens items go up to about 54".
What a refreshing change from the "slender persons only need apply" look of many knitting books. Yarns specified use USA terms but the guage (tension) will identify the yarn thickness required, and I'm looking forward to starting on the new (for me) way of knitting.
I shall start with a scarf because 1) I can get some practise 2) I can try out various stitches 3) I need one - it's cold outside 4) I daren't start on anything more complicated!
I'm very impressed with this book it's really good value, well worth more.
on 16 December 2011
First of all it helps to be a fairly experienced knitter before embarking on these interesting techniques.
I have had this book for several weeks now and have been working samples of the different stitches just to familiarize myself with the wording etc. To begin with the instructions seem overwhelming but stick with it and they really do work out.
The fun really begins when you start working with several colours and I found myself thinking 'why didn't I think of doing it that way' - using double pointed needles. The beautiful results you can achieve are a joy.
But like a previous reviewer, keeping the book open at the right page is a bit of a problem. Spiral binding would have got it 5 stars.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
I hadn't previously realised that one stitch could be so versatile. There are so many options available for brioche stitch that are all very well described and photographed within this book that made me get my needles out and try them out. The book is divided into two sections. The first section describes the different types of brioche stitch and the second section gives projects which show off the variations of brioche stitch. Be warned though that the author is based in the Netherlands but this book was published in the US so US knitting terminology is used and some of the yarns would be difficult to source in the UK.
on 19 February 2011
This book is lovely for anyone wanting to knit something a little different that is also warm. There are some lovely stitches also so you could pick a stitch and personalise an item. There are also patterns to knit some lovely garments. Beautiful book with good detail and instructions.
on 27 September 2013
The book contains interesting variations on a traditional stitch and there are some good patterns.

However, the author has created her own abbreviations for pre-existing stitch sequences and this is confusing (and I would consider myself an intermediate knitter) and takes far too much time to work through. For me, it would have been easier, and made more sense, for her to use tried and tested stitch abbreviations rather than creating a new set to learn.
on 14 January 2013
Although I'm proficient with a plain fishermans rib, this book shows great ways to get angles and depth to quite an ordinary stitch. Beautifully presented and already a quite favorite.

Have noted though that there is an errata (PDF) document on the website [...] that may be helpful if anyone has experienced a bit of difficulty on some of the patterns. Have printed a copy out and attached to my book already!
on 29 September 2013
I chose this book because I love the style of knitting, but have never tried it before. The book arrived promptly, in excellent condition and is fabulous!
on 2 February 2013
I asked for this book as a Christmas gift, I became a virtual recluse trying to demystify the patterns. it is a completely different technique but once mastered produces a lofty soft material. I recently purchaced the Craftsy.com online class also by Nancy Marchant and the two work well well together. If you like exploring new techniques this is the book for you.