Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2009
This book creates the impression that using metal clay is simple and easy. Newcomers to the subject will be enthused to give it a go. Author has shown how good-looking jewellery can be made from everyday objects, such as a fork! Instructions for forming or molding the clay and then firing the pieces and completing the project are given in detail, with many pictures to assist the newbie. I found myself wanting a greater range of items to produce with a gradually increasing depth of expertise, but this is a very good book for those who have not yet tried their hand at making jewellery with metal clay.
on 17 August 2010
I bought this to add to my more technical books on this subject based on reviews, and I'm glad I did. The illustrations are as clear as the instructions, and the book is not simply an excuse to show off elaborate items the average beginner has no hope or inclination to make.

The section explaining the pros and cons of the various brands, grades and descriptions of clay available is almost worth the purchase price alone in savings on inappropriate bargain buys that may be unsuitable for your desired creations.

Many of the tools recommended will be already in your tool kit if you have progressed from polymer clays, and the home-made drying cabinet looks like an easy project - you can already make stuff, cant you! - to save disappointment from items damaged in the pre-firing stage. The creation of your own moulds and texture plates from polymer clays is obvious when you think about it, but it will change the way you look at textures, surfaces and packaging around you.

I particularly liked the writing style in the book. Advice is friendly (and sometimes cheeky), practical and remains economical, even towards the final projects. Throughout, the author advocates expanding your creativity, rather than your tool box, (one of my more common failings) with ideas and inspirations for lasting satisfaction from this unique medium.
on 19 December 2009
Wonderful book that puts you at ease on this subject. It has great tips on setting up your work space and how to use a wide range of household products to produce great projects. The gallery of the author's work is wide ranging and sets the mind racing for my own designs. Added bonus is the templates section at the back of the book and the recipe for the handmade balm is fantastic. I am glad I treated myself to this book and will get a lot of use of out it - well worth the money and more.
on 2 September 2009
I have always wanted to try working in Metal Clay. This book is really easy to follow and has some brilliant projects to try. Even a novice can follow it.
on 30 January 2010
Brilliant book for someone starting out with metal clay. If you have the tools and clay already you can be making quality pieces by the end of the day. The projects start of simple but gradually get more difficult.
Everything is explained in simple terms and is accompanied by clear photographs.
The writing style is very relaxed and makes the book easy to read.Metal Clay in a Day
on 28 November 2010
Being new to metal clay and having booked myself on a course for metal clay, I wanted something that would give me an insight so that I wasn't a complete novice. This book is well written and well laid out, it explains the basic techniques and gives a good guide to the tools required. The projects are basic but that is just what I wanted, they are well photographed and easy to follow. As a beginner this book has given me everything that I needed to start making metal clay jewellery and I think that it has been money well spent.
on 6 December 2009
After seeing a demo of pmc I wanted to have a go but due to the cost I thought I would invest in a book first, I chose this book as it was recommended by the lady who did the demo and also because I read several reviews about it on here. I was impressed, the book is easy to follow with lots of colour photos, perfect for those of us who briefly read the information and can't always understand exactly what is meant until you see the picture. I thought as a complete novice that this book offered projects to start me off and others to move onto after some experience with the basics. I have since purchased a couple of other books but this is the easiest to follow.
on 28 May 2009
I have Had Metal clay stored in a box for ages ! Now having bought and read this book I need more supplies. This book is easy to read and understand.Maybe not for the advanced jewellery maker but exciting for everyone else.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 April 2010
I looked very carefully for a book that would give me some very clear guides to the techniques, rather than just ideas to copy - although this ticks both of those boxes very well. I dropped it one star, as I wasn't that keen on the designs personally, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like the designs then go for it. If you don't like the included designs, it gives you a really good range of techniques so that using your own creativity is very easy to do.
on 6 September 2010
A good basic introduction to Precious Metal Clays. Well laid out and easy to read.