4.0 out of 5 stars Just misses out on 5 stars
Published on 29 Aug 2008 by TG

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginners
I am an animation professional and I was looking to develop my facial expression drawing. I got this book because at first glance it seems quite stylistic and informed. However, when it arrived and I flicked through it myself.

Published on 27 Mar 2011 by Gillianimation

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginners, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: Making Faces: Drawing Expressions for Comics and Cartoons (Paperback)

The book is a good reference for absolute beginners but for anyone a little more experienced and who is searching for an informed guide to drawing faces efficiently and well, this book is a bad choice.

The book has been written by several artists of various artistic backgrounds, which might seem a good mix but actually in just left the book with a mish mash of varying styles and approaches and alot of the key drawings are not well drawn.

Probably the best book of its kind out there at the minute but its worth the wait for a better one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just misses out on 5 stars, 29 Aug 2008
Book is about the right price for what you get (currently £10.49). It has an introduction section on how faces are shaped which is well done and then categories of expressions from different styles of artist. These are interesting although, in a few cases, I would struggle to identify the expression if it wasn't written down (a bit like an impressionist saying "Hello, my name is Michael Caine!")
These are very good and cover quite a range and can multitask (I used 'hungover' as a template for 'unwell').
My only suggestion would have been to add a basic drawing of each expression as well as the characterised versions.
All-in-all I am glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to see here..., 19 Jan 2013
S. Duncan (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a couple years ago, looked through it a couple times. Put it down. Never picked it back up again.

Basically, the book comes off as nothing more than a showcase for the artists involved. You don't get the impression they want to help you learn something as the comments linked to the images feel a bit cocky. And many images don't appear to correspond to the expression they intend to portray. Furthermore, some drawings are re-used for supposedly different expressions.

Some drawings are good, some OK. Either way, I don't think many people will be able to learn much from this book.

I must remember to sell my copy on, or try and give it away...

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiny New Condition, 21 Aug 2013
Because of the above, I could only award five stars. The book was exactly what I wanted, so I would purchase from this source again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book just what I needed, 18 May 2013
The expressions I draw are usually one of the last things I think about, but should be one of the first, This book has helped me create what I want to express in a characters face and I would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at what it does, 13 Feb 2013
This book is done slightly different to other instruction books I have read because it has been created by and contributed to by an art collective known as 8fish. This means that there are 6 different artists giving their input into one theme which results in many unique techniques and insights into the genre of drawing expressions for comics and cartoons.
It begins as most of these types of books do:- with basic lessons on materials and equipment, drawing and sketching and inking and shading to name a few. It also offers some interesting techniques for drawing mouths, eyes and noses.
Section 2 covers scenarios, (like Billy finds a flower). Each scenario has several demonstrations covering various expressions that may come about for the given scenario. For instance in demo 1 Billy is happy, demo 2 joyful, demo 3 about to sneeze. Each scenario is made up of step by step process along with other variations on the theme created by some of the other 8fish artists.
Altogether there are nine of these scenarios which cover a broad range of situations and emotions, and these make up the majority of the content of the book.
Section 3 is all about storytelling and more importantly how to make your artwork more interesting and exciting. It covers framing your image and body language. This is followed by a series of step by step demos including a zombie fighting a cave girl, noir interrogation, western standoff and a battle scene.
The book concludes with a gallery of work by the 8fish artists which illustrates the quality of their work.

This is the best book I have read when it comes to drawing faces and expressions. Even though it does have a strong comic book slant to it, a lot of the lessons can easily be applied to more realistic work or book illustration. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but images are way too big and not ..., 28 July 2014
Colin "artfully-vague" (Tewkesbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Enjoyable read but images are way too big and not enough detailed analysis of different kinds of faces and how to make them expressive. A little disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making Faces Drawing Expressions for Comics and Cartoons., 1 Jan 2012
Mr. C. E. Elston (Uk Derby) - See all my reviews
Good fun advice pictures illustrations etc ideal for 9 to 11 year olds etc would recommend this to others as a small different present for Birthday or Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book! Can recomend., 31 Jan 2013
A bit generalised, like many of the Impact Press books. However it's more than enough to learn from for the begginer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Oct 2014