5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book
Published on 2 Mar 2011 by bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars A very different style of drawing
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:00 Mins
(Please ignore my starred rating because I can't rate what I don't truly understand.)

The multiple 5-star reviews on Amazon lead me to get this book. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I expected.

Published on 25 Feb 2011 by Parka

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: Expressive Drawing: A Practical Guide to Freeing the Artist Within (Live & Learn (Lark Books)) (Hardcover)
If you are looking for a book which teaches representational drawing then this isn't for you. This wonderful book helps you to push through boundaries and draw in a free, expressive way. It shows you how to build your mark making and relationships between marks on big sheets of paper, leaving behind any baggage about talent. The author is clearly an inspirational and talented teacher. Shame you can't Look Inside!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A most interesting approach to abstract drawing techniques, 31 Mar 2012
Margaret Robbie (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is an enthralling book. For those like me who draw a lot but have never explored the possibility of drawing from within myself or representing the intangible as a serious approach, this book provides a fascinating series of challenges. There are many exercises designed to 'free you up' and to explore the power of line and mark and the elements that make up an expressive drawing. The book then helps the artist to build up more complex expressive compositions using the techniques learnt. Alongside each of the exercises there are sections which focus on relevant recognised artists together with photos of their work, many of them intriguing and very beautiful.

A lovely book that I will keep and re-read regularly whenever I feel the need for a different kind of challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 19 Jan 2013
trishthedish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is definately THE best book around on the subject of expressive drawing. I recommend it to all my students on the BA course as it uses the same approach as we teach for developing work in textile art and design. It encourages a different approach from representational drawing - if you want an exact likeness to something as an end product, no this is not for you. If you want to be inspired to make your own art, to go with your feelings and make truely personal work, this is for you. Textile students are not making Fine Art, but rather using drawing as a tool to work initial ideas from. Of course, you can also use this approach to develop Fine Art as well, if you want to. Yes, many of the forms that result are often abstracted, but as with Monet's later watercolour studies, this does not mean they are totally "abstract" - there are degrees of this, you can go as abstract as you want to. Ways of handling line, shape and texture are developed to portray movement or stillness or other qualities in the drawing- all skills taught in this book. Compostional skills are there, but they are taught in a new and exciting way too. This is a totally contemporary approach to drawing, which allows the student to go beyond the photo finish (a camera does this better in any case) and develop their own style of drawing, for their own uses. This is a wonderfully freeing, non-intimidating approach, open to everyone, with practice, these skills can be applied to numerous applications as well as enjoyed for their own sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freeing up your approach to drawing, 8 Nov 2011
I used this book on my "Can't Draw, Won't Draw" course. It was fantastic, my students loved it. There are lots of inspiring workshop sessions to follow, with wonderful examples of work produced by internationally known artists. I shall continue to use the book to develop my own drawing. It is an excellent book, inspiring, exciting and intelligent. I highly recommend it to anyone who is at all interested in drawing or painting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any artist or art student, 5 Jan 2012
E. Badger (uk) - See all my reviews
I would recomend this book to anyone in the creative visual arts. Even if you do not intend to persue expressive abstracts as a focus this book guides you through 10 chapters in three main sections: The drawing process, the elements of drawing and drawing relationships. The information set out is described clearly with photos of student and master works to illustrate and then concludes in each example with an exercise to carry out yourself with very clear instruction (step by step but not in a limiting sense) and again photos to illustrate. Free up your technique, unblock your mind or find a new way to percieve the world and those we share it with using this book, a great read and I also have 'creative drawing' by Guasch and this expressive drawing book is by far the better book. I am going now to re-read it from the begining!

3.0 out of 5 stars A very different style of drawing, 25 Feb 2011
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:00 Mins

The book teaches expressive drawing as compared to representational drawing. Whether or not you'll like this book will depend on which drawing style you like.

Representational drawing aims to create a likeness to what's seen. Expressive drawing, at they teach in this book, aims to link the artwork to your ideas and emotions.

The guided lessons cover the art basics such as line, shapes, balance and others. There aren't any lessons on rendering shadows (representational art) or composition (e.g. golden arc/rectangle or guiding the eye).

Many lessons are give ideas on loosening up and playing around with art, with respect to the particular subject taught. However, the emphasis is on enjoying the drawing process, rather than worrying about the end product. Maybe because of that, many examples fall into the category which I'm not particularly fond of -- abstract art. I feel that it's difficult to appreciate these artwork unless you're the one who create them.

You can preview more pages on Google Books - I wish I had - before deciding if it's your type of book.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Expressive Drawing: A Practical Guide to Freeing the Artist Within (Live & Learn (Lark Books)), 21 May 2012
Ms. A. Manser - See all my reviews
I am really enjoying working from this book. Its a great help if you are feeling blocked as it gets you going again. Full of really good excercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freed my paintings, 1 May 2013
This book, for me, was about taking me back to the most raw and primitive creative place. Discovering the language of my body, arm, hand, as it relates to making my mark. It's playful in approach but deadly serious in intent. It's also highly practical which I particularly appreciated. It's set out well and after a workshop or DVD, it's the next best thing.

I recommend this one for every artist that feels locked into ideas, or any form of rigidity in their art making, and wishes to create expressive works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 8 April 2013
I have only just started to scratch the surface with this book but it presents a very different approach to drawing which I am looking forward to experimenting with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expressive Drawing, 10 Jun 2014
This is a book for both artists and those who just want to be creative without all the traditional formal drawing palaver. Using some of the fresh approaches described in this book has enabled members of my own drawing group to confidently develop their own individual styles and not just to be copyists.