5.0 out of 5 stars Like to stitch
This book is a refreshing change from traditional embroidery books. It's modern and inspiring. Ideal for beginners. It concentrates on about 18 basic stitches to create a range of designs. No counting or measuring. Lot's of clear and bright photographs and only minimum equipment required. I can't wait to get started.
Published on 30 July 2008 by Ms. Ma Royals

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead
Published on 14 July 2011 by Carol

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Like to stitch, 30 July 2008
Ms. Ma Royals - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Sep 2008
J Parfitt (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book. The stitches used are simple yet effective, and are well explained. The designs are wonderful. Fresh, vibrant, trendy, inovative yet timeless. The artist is talented and I look forward to any other offerings from her. Even though I am not fantastically gifted at embroidery (especially satin stitch), the projects are inspirational and yet remain undaunting. It's a traditional craft brought bang-up-to-date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead, 14 July 2011
I am new to free hand embroidery and thought this would be a good book to start with. I like the first 34 pages of the book very much, which explain the basics. However, I didn't find the projects to be very inspiring - I thought that they looked a bit amateurish. Also, I didn't like the patterns very much - they don't look at all like what is featured on the cover. At most, I would make maybe 2 of the items. Some of the projects include: a Sewing Circle Bag, Felt Forest Creatures, Songbird Wristlet, Bohemian Tunic, Cafe Apron, Spring Step Shoes, Crazy Curves Headband, Flower Shop Skirt, Boxer Shorts, Mod Napkins, Fireworks Halter Top, etc.

So, I decided to buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead. This is really more what I had in mind when I purchased the Fresh and Fun book. The first part of the book describes the basics. Then there are a few projects, which I actually like better than the ones in the Fresh and Fun book. But the best part is the last half, which includes lots of designs and inspiration.

I say skip this book and go straight to The Motif Collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Embroidery for the fearful beginner!, 4 Nov 2008
Mrs. Denny S. Abeykoon "Genuine reviews from ... (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners

I have always wanted to embroider & have never been brave enough.I bought this book after reading the amazon reviews I was not disappointed it's fab! The stitches are presented clear & colourful. I loved that the projects are simple but also that they are inspiring, you really think I could do that, what's more I could add a bit of this and....I particularily liked the fireworks design on the halter top as it's a simple way to customise clothes & the cute softie owl & racoon. If you don't know where to begin by this you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sew, Sew, Sew, 19 Jan 2009
This little book is a fantastic introduction to embroidery, it outlines lots of stitches very clearly and then gives instructions for how to use them in several projects. Most of the projects are not to my personal taste, but I wanted the book more as a guide to what kind of stitches to use to give different effects and for inspiration to create my own projects. This book would be ideal to beginners and would make a great present for someone just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars let's get crafting, 21 Feb 2009
You know the story...you buy a cheap t-shirt and wish you could make it different to all the other t-shirts you see in the street. Well this book might just help you to realise that dream.

The premise is that everyone can sew and get creative; all you need to start is a doodle pad and a pencil (be warned once you start customising clothes, bedding, towels...you just won't stop). There are clear pictures, easy to follow diagrams and simple simple instructions in this book making it a fantastic buy.

As a crafter I find the whole book deliciously inspiring just as I am sure anyone learning embroidery will...am off to buy a doodle pad now.

5.0 out of 5 stars doodle stitching, 21 April 2009
Mrs. L. J. Scott (north east scotland) - See all my reviews
A great little book. Not only full of ideas but fun as well. Perfect for any age too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely inspiring especially for beginners, 18 July 2010
I was getting frustrated with cross stitch as I felt constrained to simply copy somebody else's design. I had always wanted to learn free hand embroidery but thought it was too difficult. I came across this book and it has been so refreshing to find a book about embroidery that is modern, easy and enjoyable and makes you want to make something straight away. The author openly shares how to have a go at her ideas and encourages you to swap designs with other ones, change colours and branch off and develop your own unique style. I feel like I can be as good as the author and make my own designs and gifts to give to my family and friends. I love this book very much. If you want to learn to embroider in your own way but think it is too difficult, buy this book and it will give you the confidence to do it. For the price it is such good value for the long-term enjoyment you are sure to get from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas, 21 April 2009
I bought this book without ever embroidering before. There were good instructions at the start of the book about a number of stitches. I have tried a couple of designs and I was pleasantly suprised. Can't wait to do a few more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book...., 7 Nov 2010
What drew your attention to this book? Was it the cover? Well unfortunately you won't find the lovely embroidery that illustrates the cover in this book! There are other pictures too that you won't find information for. I call that very misleading and rather unfair. If you are in a book shop flicking through this you would see the lovely designs and want them - more than that, you would think you are buying them. Well no, if you want them you can buy them (or similar) but it will cost you extra. The author has a shop on etsy and for and extra 2.50 or so you can purchase the cover picture. However it is not exactly the same and suffers because of it - hence I did not purchase. I found the designs included overly simplistic. Most of the embroidery around today is very basic - just outline stitching. Although as we can see, it is a technique that is most charming when used well and it is a good place to start. I don't like what is left in this book so much as what is not in it. I daresay those decisions were made editorially and had nothing to do with the author herself. I would not endorse this book - why not try your own 'doodles'?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners
Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners by Aimee Ray (Paperback - 1 Nov 2007)
6.99