4.0 out of 5 stars Present for my Wife
Published 18 months ago by Colin King

3.0 out of 5 stars Just an amateur
This book has good descriptions and examples, but they were not as detailed as I wanted. I hoped for a more how to...get this effect or by doing this you can obtain this detail or do this first then you can do this to get... Back to the library!
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Present for my Wife, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Art of Drawing & Painting Portraits: Create realistic heads, faces & features in pencil, pastel, watercolor, oil & acrylic (Collector's Series) (Paperback)
I waited for my wife to read this as she is the real 'artist' in the family and as she has started doing portraits we both thought that this would be a good book for advice. In the main it is and it is well worth having in your collection. My wife used to paint in water colours but for the last 4 or 5 years has used acrylics. Although mention is given to acrylics it does not give a step by step guide as it does with water colour. However, the technique of layering is very useful and well described and in my view can be used with more or less any medium. Certainly I have no regrets in obtaining this gift for my wife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 May 2014
L. Glover - See all my reviews
I found this book really helped me with my sketching. I had just started sketching when I bought it and found it a really useful reference. So far I've only done graphite work, but I'm soon going to tackle colour work and will definitely be referring to this when I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 April 2013
As someone who is a raw beginner to portrait painting I found this book excellent, I would add it has been written not just for beginners but also to those more advanced in this subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just an amateur, 23 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drawing and painting book, 11 July 2014
Cake Genie "Julie" (Felpham, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This is a very informative book which covers many mediums. Well laid out and plenty of helpful tips. I have recommended it to other students at my art course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for beginners and intermediate artists, 1 Mar. 2013
I love this book because, not only does it give you a reference on how to draw a face, but it shows you the process followed and the materials needed to colour your portrait in various mediums such as oil, acrylic, watercolour and pastel. It is very simple to follow and a good book to pick up and browse through if you're not in the mood to create artwork but still want to do something creatively-related.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for general portraiture, 5 Aug. 2014
Good book for tips on portraiture in general. Would be nice to go into more advanced techniques, like capturing a true likeness/essence of the sitter, pitfalls of painting people, correcting errors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portraiture, 19 July 2015
It is a course in portrait drawing and painting in various media. It offers know-how, tips, explanations and projects and all these are backed up with lots of illustrations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Sept. 2014
A good, practical book with the right balance of techniques and projects. Well written and an interesting read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 5 Oct. 2014
i would have liked more step by step painting in pastel naming the colours being used regarding portraits