5.0 out of 5 stars IN THE GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE -- WHO WINS???
Call me crazy but this is my favorite Alex Cross book thus far. This is the fourth in the series. I've already read the first three (all of which I enjoyed) but there was something about this one that just grabbed me right from the beginning.
Published on 20 Oct. 2002 by TheReader23

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more catnip next time Mr Patterson!
Gary Soneji, Mr Smith diabolical murders committed in USA and across Europe.
Chaos is the order of the day, panic is everywhere and Alex Cross is the guy to solve this mystery.
Along the way he'll fall in love and experience a near death experience and just when you're halfway through the book another parallel story begins.
It's oddly quite gripping but is...
Published on 20 April 2011 by Jonathan Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars IN THE GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE -- WHO WINS???, 20 Oct. 2002
TheReader23 (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
I just love how Patterson weaves a tale. And, as much as I joke with my friends about his short chapters, I find them refreshing after some of the heavier things I've read this past summer. No more saying to myself, "I'll read one more chapter before I go to bed." With a Patterson book, you can safely say, "I'll read twenty more chapters" before putting the book down.
And, I can't help but smile every time Patterson mentions other authors' books. He does it on numerous occasions in Cat and Mouse and I always find myself checking out the books he's mentioned.
This installment finds Alex Cross, once again, coming face to face with ... Gary Soneji. Those of you who have already read the first book in this series, Along Came A Spider, will recognize Soneji as the teacher turned kidnapper who wanted to commit the "crime of the century." Now he has escaped from prison and has come back to seek revenge on the man who put him there....Alex Cross.
Across the ocean on the continent of Europe, another madman is killing people by performing autopsies on them while they're still alive. The FBI is all over this killer, dubbed "Mr. Smith", and has assigned their young, crack shot, pony-tailed agent, Thomas Pierce, to head up this investigation. Circumstances will bring him back to the U.S. to help with the Soneji investigation.
Of course, it will be up to our hero, Alex Cross, to save the day. Since he's not only a homicide detective, but one with a Ph.D. in psychology, he's very adept at getting into someone's mind. This is the best part of this series -- watching how Alex figures out what the murderer's next step will be.
For Alex Cross fans, one of the highlights of this book will be the love match between him and Christine, the principal of Damon and Jannie's (Alex' kids) school. Readers of this series will remember Christine as a character in Jack and Jill (the third book in this series). Sadly, her husband was murdered in that one. Could the timing be right for these two characters? One can only hope. I'm sure I'll find out when I read the next book in this series...

5.0 out of 5 stars Patterson on form with another Alex Cross novel, 9 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
A great read ... many twists in the tale which keep you on the edge of your seat - Alex Cross at his best - you won't be able to wait for the next Cross novel to come out .. you'll find out why once you've read this one. Characters which you can empathise with, a plot which is fast paced and keeps you guessing till the end - this is classic Patterson. If you're a fan you've already read it, if you're not, get into gear and get all the Pattersons starting from Along Came A Spider - the book which started off the Alex Cross Genre. Get all the Cross books, but be wary of buying his other books without reading the synopsis - they can be quite different!

5.0 out of 5 stars Patterson does it again., 30 Sept. 2005
R. Davison (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
Oh dear! Patterson has went and done it again with yet another remarkable thriller. I am pretty new to the series, finishing Cat and Mouse about an hour ago, but I would imagine after the release of this book that Patterson, if he hadn't been already, was catapulted into the heights of the all-time classic and 'best' ever crime writers.
As many of the critics say about this book, the reader is really getting two thrillers for the price of one here. Patterson seems to better his own remarkable style with each book, this being no exception. Very fast-paced, great characters, horrific concept and detail and horrific characters. Patterson seems to be able to write the most devastatingly and horrific 'bad guys' that fiction has ever seen, this also being no exception.
Also, without spoiling, I must also add that this book has one of the best twists I have ever read. No joke here it will leave you speechless. I had to actually put the book down and have a 'breather'. If you aren't sure about this book I am assuming you haven't read the others in the series. I urge you to read these in order as they will be more rewarding experiences. Buy the lot - you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more catnip next time Mr Patterson!, 20 April 2011
Jonathan Clark "Great Black Hawk" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Gary Soneji, Mr Smith diabolical murders committed in USA and across Europe.
It's oddly quite gripping but is somewhat disjointed but not in an esoteric way.
I'm relatively new to James Patterson and have not been impressed but this went someway to redeem him in my eyes - although not quite enough.
It's OK but not great and the ending - well judge for your self!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but who else guessed the twist?, 10 Aug. 2001
Alex Cross returns in this his fourth outing. I enjoyed the book immensley but would strongly recommend that you read Along came a spider first to help with the background of the ongoing story. Imagining Ray Liotta as Gary Soneji really helps!
As with all Patterson books this one is a real page turner, but I have to confess I did guess the plot twist before it unfolded. I am by no means a literature genius and have probably read less novels than I have lived years on the planet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrills and twists, 28 Nov. 2009
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Patterson mixes it up again with multiple (and international) psychopaths on the rampage. One of which is his old nemesis, Gary Soneji. There are some great action scenes in Cat and Mouse and Patterson captures the the tension well. As expected, the actual profiling of the criminal mind is shallow, and the main characters are somewhat superficial too, although existing readers will know what to expect - action and intrigue. Patterson fans will not be disappointed since Cat and Mouse has plenty of both. Longer than usual, Cat and Mouse is two stories interwoven and together they make an entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read but where are the first 3 books, Kindle?, 14 Nov. 2013
m fisher - See all my reviews
I do enjoy the Alex cross series. Although I enjoy thrillers I don't like gratuitus, graphic, violence. James Patterson is sometimes on the limit for me there when perhaps it could be left to the imagination. Having said that it is not horror and the story's twists and turns are great.
Although each book in the series can be read in isolation, you do get more from it if you have read the previous three in the series, in order. Which brings me on to my only gripe - with Kindle/Amazon.
We really should be able to buy the Alex Cross 1, 2 and 3 in Kindle format. The fact that we cannot just encourages us honest readers to find free versions of them. It is kind of training newbe Kindle owners how to avoid paying for books!
I know the first two have been made into films. But the films do not follow the underlying storyline that runs through the series. This book in fact would not make sense if you assumed it followed on from the films - it doesn't.
Kindle make the first three books available please. Readers will get much more out of this book and will want to keep buying more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and fun but with some imperfections, 23 July 2013
This is actually the first time I have read a book by James Patterson and I decided to give it a go after my wife rather randomly picked up for me.

Although I am (now) aware that this is the fourth book in a series, it was obvious from the start it wasn't particularly necessary to have read the previous editions.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with this book. I really enjoyed the quick pace and original direction the story took as it progressed. The way Patterson kept bringing new elements to the plot unexpectedly was quite refreshing and I would definitely consider reading more of his work.

The were a couple of negatives though such as the chapters showing Cross' relationship with his children and lover were quite tedious, uncomfortable, cliched and unrealistic (I have children of my own so I know that family life is not all rainbows and pots of gold as was described in the book!). Also some of the internal dialogue in the first person chapters seemed a bit simplistic and condescending.

All in all though it was a fun and original crime story and very enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok not great, 15 May 2014
Ms. R. E. Winfield "samroz3" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the second book I have read by James Patterson, I feel the book was quite good and the story had a good twist in it which I won't spoil. However, I was annoyed by Patterson's constant adding of quotes and sayings in the books, and found his writing was very simplistic and not as fast paced or as enjoyable as other crime writers which I feel make a lot better read. There is some revelation at the end that there was a whole code involved, and I feel that Patterson's attempt to refer to the psychology of the killer is rather lame and also lazy. I also think the business about the code and also the ending was just plain stupid.

Additionally, I think the characters in the book lack depth and also play to cliches.

I have given the book 3 stars because it has some promise and a good twist, however, I feel if you want a better standard of crime thriller read Delaney or Billingham.

5.0 out of 5 stars one word - intense!, 24 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
I couldn't put this one down. Found it as good as Along came a Spider, loved the fact that it was partly done throught both the perspective of Alex Cross and the killer - fantastic. But can anyone tell me which Cross novel I should read next so I can find out Christine's fate?

Cat & Mouse (Alex Cross Novels)
Cat & Mouse (Alex Cross Novels) by James Patterson (Audio CD - 4 Dec. 2007)