Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Fools Gold (Star Trek (IDW))
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£13.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Deep Space Nine is by far and away my favourite of the modern day Star Trek series with only the Original Series superior, I just love the show, the situations, the characters and the long running story arcs that prevail across the entire seven years.

There have been a fantastic set of novels from Pocket Books that are effectively season 8, in other words they continue the story onwards after the conclusion of the final episode, now that's fine but I do sort of miss the type of story that takes place within the timeframe of the TV episodes themselves, this wonderful graphic novel does that and really turns back the clock.

The story takes place between seasons 3 and 4 and accurately reflect the atmosphere and feeling of the period in the show's history, the crew are nervous about the threat posed by the Dominion but it has not yet come to dominate the series as it later would.

The artwork is a little odd however and the characters are drawn as almost caricatures, which is fine as I do like differing styles of artwork in these volume but I hope the balance is readressed in the next one and lots of alternate styles used rather than a standard uniform look being adopted.

This graphic novel did what it set out to do and gave me a new DS9 story that made me almost feel as if I was watching an undiscovered episode and that was simply wonderful, if future volumes are as good as this then we are in for a treat.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine as it was on TV is back and back with a bang! Great stuff!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 1 August 2010
While Deep Space Nine has continued in novels since it ended, graphic novels have been another story. There haven't been any since 2001's N-Vector and the TNG crossover Divided We Fall. When IDW received the Star Trek comic license, things began to change. It was consistently the most requested series and IDW soon bought the license to publish DS9.

Fool's Gold is set between the third and fourth seasons (so no Worf), which gives it a decent (and fairly simple) continuity to follow, with the threat of Changeling infiltration being the only ongoing arc mentioned. The writers get the personalities of the characters spot on. The depictions of the characters range from excellent to average; Quark is excellent, yet Odo usually ends up looking odd. I look forward to the next DS9 series.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again