4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Useful Rendering of the Word of God!
I came across 'The Message' by accident. But as I began to read Luke's gospel, the way 'The Message' puts things began to impact my imagination in a fresh new way. I felt compelled to buy a copy for myself. Here's what I think overall.

Published on 27 Mar 2012 by M. Maxwell-carr

Published on 25 Oct 2010 by G. R. Hopkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Useful Rendering of the Word of God!, 27 Mar 2012
M. Maxwell-carr (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) (Hardcover)

Is it really the Word of God? I suppose, taken as a whole, we can say that 'The Message' just about delivers the Word of God to us. However, there are far too many inaccuracies for it to be regarded anywhere close to the purity of the NIV, the ESV, the NASB, the NKJV, etc. Interpretive mistakes are bound to crop up with great frequency when something like this is done, plus it's the work of only one man. So if you're looking for an accurate translation, please look elsewhere. Peterson himself says he feels uncomfortable when pastors read and preach from 'The Message' in their churches, because it was never intended for that. In fairness to him, I don't think Peterson ever wanted 'The Message' to have the same status as the other more accurate translations. 'The Message' has an entirely different and inferior purpose to the goals of these great translations, and we all need to recognise that. Nevertheless: I still think it's important for people to realise that 'The Message' does indeed have a valuable place in Christian literature.

This is a 'reading' Bible (certainly not a study Bible). It is meant only for individual Christians to read and enjoy basically what is going on in the Word of God and what God wants us to do. If used for this purpose, then it will deliver great benefit. The reader will gain a pretty good grasp of God's workings through-out history with Israel and through Jesus. As Peterson says himself in the Introduction, people who set out to read 'The Message' from the beginning will probably be very surprised at how readable this Bible actually is. Why is this? Well, 'The Message' delivers God's Word in frank, plain, simple, contemporary language which stimulates the imagination. Not all versions of the Bible do this, though I think 'The Living Bible' succeeds very well in this. 'The Message' does this as often as possible too. It's a paraphrase, designed to give you God's heart and thoughts as explicitly as possible. It's like reading a book full of pictures, even though it has no pictures in it. It should certainly grip you. Peterson was a pastor for many years. So he has had to think long and hard about how to put the whole Bible into language and ways that people can understand. I really appreciate the fact that he has done this with the entire Bible. He clearly values the whole thing and that's a very important lesson for us. So I do think someone can experience God speaking through this version of the Scriptures. I would certainly have little problem recommending a new Christian to buy a copy and read the books of the Bible in 'The Message' in whatever order they want. I think they would get a lot from it and begin to have a decent appreciation for the Word from the very start.

Will I personally ever read it through? Probably over many years I'll read a good chunk of it. As a teacher of God's Word, I feel like I can learn from the way Peterson puts things. We have to 'study to be simple', as John Calvin said. And this Bible sure puts things clearly and simply. But I doubt that I will read the whole thing. I was reading all of Galatians recently in 'The Message', and I just find that there are too many things I think Peterson has gotten wrong. I can't trust 'The Message' much and that's my big problem with it. If I were to read the whole of the Message from cover to cover I think I'd find many frustrating errors and wonder why I didn't just read my NIV instead. But this is how I find the Message useful: I look at various passages here and there in it, but usually once I've read those passages in the NIV first; I check out 'The Message' to see how Peterson interprets it and to see how he puts it, which is often insightful and helpful. It's also lovely to study a portion of the New Testament in the Greek myself and then to read the way 'The Message' puts it. Sometimes I feel Peterson is incorrect. But generally, I'm blessed by how the Word of God is delivered in this version. I often think it's like having David Pawson next to me when I read it because Peterson's paraphrase is very similar to the way Pawson paraphrases certain biblical passages in his book 'Unlocking the Bible'. For this purpose, the Message is great.

So these are just my thoughts, for what they're worth. If you want something really different, then this is it. I think most people will be pleasantly surprised, so long as they realise that Peterson hasn't promoted it as a 'translation' of the Bible as such. Taken for what it is, at face value, it's worth having on the bookshelf.

7/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Doh - you don't read the bible page by page... not easy on a Kindle, 25 Oct 2010
We are kindle novices but thought we'd start by getting a copy of the bible. We bought the message coz we like it but then were very annoyed to find that we practically had to page turn our way through to the book / chapter / verse we wanted to read. The menus for the kindle version of this are rubbish. I'm hoping some of you more savvy kindle users can show me where we're going wrong but right now I'm v disappointed with this buy. Considering how easy my ipod bible is, this is rubbish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good version but Kindle navigation is awful, 5 Nov 2011
We use the Message in our Bible study group as an alternative reading. It's often very helpful and sometimes quite amusing. I bought the Kindle version so a partially-sighted member could read it. She finds a large font with white on black quite readable compared to a printout.
But the navigation is - as others have said (unfortunately I couldn't download the sample and hoped they were talking about version 1) - is awful. And this from Navpress, a part of the Navigators! Just try the NIV to see how easy navigation can be. I reckon I could find a passage on my Kindle NIV faster than anyone with a paper version. The best I have managed with the Message is:
- Go to table of contents (4 clicks).
- Flip through pages to get hyperlink to required book (these cover 5 pages)
- The hyperlink takes you to an introduction on most books which you must also flip through. (The intro to Psalms is 5 pages.)
- Then you come to chapter hyperlinks - one per line! So the Psalms links cover 7 pages!
How many clicks in total? I think to get to the start of any Psalm about 14 on average!
By comparison, the NIV has a 'finder' link on every page. This takes you to one page containing links to all books. Each link takes you to the start of the book preceded by links to all the chapters, plus an 'info' link that takes you to an introduction.
Total of 3 clicks to any chapter!

Come on Navpress, get your act together. You didn't really put much effort into this at all, did you?

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless Table of contents (Kindle version), 14 Feb 2011
This low score is not about the Message content itself but about the completely useless Table of Contents that makes finding a passage in the Bible utterly frustrating.
You go to table of contents to select a book (e.g. Leviticus, Matthew, Romans or whatever). Selecting a book should take you to another table of contents to enable you to select a chapter. But NO. It takes you to an Introduction to the book. This can be anything up to twelve or more pages long before you get to the book's individual Table of Contents in order to select the chapter required.
The book's Introduction should be the first item in the book's Table of Contents followed by each individual chapter number.
The person who put the Table of Contents together has obviously not tried to use it seriously. Who wants to read the introduction to a book every time you go to that book? Come on Navpress: if you are responsible then a little more thought might help.
As I said at the beginning, this review is not about the 'The Message' Bible itself but only about the 'Kindle' version.

4.0 out of 5 stars It gave me some fresh insights -shame about the Kindle version, 13 Aug 2011
E. WOOLSTON (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I enjoy this version. It's given me fresh insights into some Bible passages. It doesn't claim to be an accurate translation, it is a paraphrase and, as such, should be read alongside a more traditional version but what it does, it does well.
But now for the Kindle edition wish list. A few changes would have made a big difference (and earn an extra star). I know that Kindle books can't have 'headers' because the text size could change what is on the page but it would be great if there was some quick way to check which book you are in. The layout does have a chapter and verse reference at the start of each paragraph eg [6.7-8] but it would be great if this included an abbreviated Book reference eg. [Rev. 6.7-8] With a key for Book abbreviations, it would be easy for a reader to look up a reference.
2. Please let the table of contents give a link to the start of the Bible text rather than the summary pages. By the time I've found something in this book, it's far to late for me to use it during a sermon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!, 29 Dec 2012
It is impossible to navigate the book or access the different books of the bible. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE KINDLE VERSION!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The message remix, 28 July 2012
J. M. Parkin "Jill" (Northumberland. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) (Hardcover)
This is a great way to have the words of the bible presented. Easy to read and understand in modern terms, with much less of the repetition that you get in the original! It lacks the beautiful poetry of the psalms, but they are still there and perhaps more understandable. I would recommend it as a good read for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new way to read a timeless story, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) (Hardcover)
When I was first introduced to the message, I was somewhat taken aback by its style. I found it very brash and American (which it is) and was not at all what I expected. I found some of the Americanisms grated on me - and to be honest, they still do sometimes.

The main point though is that it makes the Bible relevant to today. I have gained new insights from reading it. I would not recommend it is a main Bible, but it makes a great additional source. If you can get past the American language then I am sure it can help you see the Bible in a new way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful translation., 27 May 2011
Dennis Simpson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) (Hardcover)
Not to everybodies taste I know but being a bible believing Christian with many different Bible translations already, I have found the Message Bible to be an up-to-date translation written in a completely modern way. The most wonderful thing about this Bible is the introductions to each of the books written by Eugene Peterson.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Bible study aid., 18 Feb 2011
Yves (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) (Hardcover)
I don't think "The Message" should be viewed as "The Bible" or any substitution for one. I think, however, it's a great tool to complement your existing Bible reading. I grew up reading NIV, I now primarily read the ESV, but sometimes, when you want to deliver a "killer verse" some translations simply offer better phrasing than others.

Obviously one advantage of the Message is that verses are grouped together by context- this reduces the odds of someone cherry-picking one verse and taking it out of its context.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange)
Message Remix (Th1nk LifeChange) by Eugene H. Peterson (Hardcover - 19 July 2006)