4.0 out of 5 stars Life in Lie-Land
This story is a dog. Well, no, that's a little bit of a lie. Really, it's quite a bit of a lie, as this story lies well away from the area of `dogness' and much closer to the area of `excellent'. Actually, this is a story about a dog. Uh, that's not quite the truth either. And the real question of this book is just what is the truth?

Micah is a seventeen year...
Published on 2 Oct 2009 by Patrick Shepherd

3.0 out of 5 stars Liar by Justine Larbalestier
I've been looking forward to reading Liar for a long, long time. I think I first heard about it shortly after I started book blogging, and it's been on my wishlist since I learnt it was about a compulsive liar - something that really intrigues me.

Published on 15 Sep 2012 by Amber

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in Lie-Land, 2 Oct 2009
Patrick Shepherd "hyperpat" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liar (Hardcover)

Micah is a seventeen year old girl, an outsider, a loner, a misfit, and, in her own words, a compulsive liar. She lies about her sex, about her father's occupation, about her `illness', about not having a boyfriend, about...

And she's the narrator of this story. She insists that she's telling the truth in this, her journal, but it soon becomes obvious that even here, what she's telling isn't the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the complete unvarnished truth. When her (secret) boyfriend is found dead, her reactions and those of the people around her seem almost surreal, her explanations more and more complicated, revised time and time again, with each new explanation revealing another layer of Micah's reality. It becomes a mystery, complete with all the usual suspects, none of whom are really as initially portrayed, most especially Micah herself.

Perhaps what is most compelling about this book is that each version of `reality' that Micah writes about is so believable and logical, until the next version comes along and totally turns everything upside-down again. This is a very great accomplishment; many works with unreliable narrators very quickly make the reader dismiss everything newly narrated as `not true'. Here the suspension of disbelief continues all the way to the end, even though the reader's alert flag is constantly set on `danger, this may not be true'.

The story is not told in total chronological order, but in fairly short sections of Before, After, Family History, and History of Me. The constant change of focus helps with the pacing of this book, and does a bit to add to the suspense (yes, there really is suspense here, too). Michah's `voice' comes across very much as a fairly mature intelligent teenager, and many of the incidents and people at her school will probably bring back sharp memories of similar things and characters in older readers, or as total reality to those near Micah's age. The prose is simple and direct; no long, complicated flights of prose poetry here, and is quite effective. The only real problem I had with this book was the ending, which seemed a little rushed, sugary, and greatly lacking in detail - but it also, and I think deliberately, leaves the reader wondering if that was really the ending.

This is a deft psychological thriller. And that's the truth.

Reviewed by Patrick Shepherd (hyperpat)

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and amazing read., 9 Nov 2012
Miss T. R. Snook "Tiffa (:" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liar (Hardcover)
Micah is a liar. A compulsive and believable liar. She has her hair cropped short and doesn't care about acting feminine. She can also run, really fast - breaking world records set by champions. Micah prefers to remain as invisible as she can wherever she goes. However, when her boyfriend, Zach, goes missing and his body is found, she suddenly becomes the centre of attention. Why? Because she was Zach's 'Out Of Hours' girlfriend, whilst Sarah, a pretty and very popular girl was his 'official' girlfriend. It's revealed to the school when Zach's body turns up dead. Accusations fly around the school, rumours that Zach's best friend killed him, or Sarah or even Micah herself. Micah has a secret of her own though, and throughout the book she promises to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth. But how can you suddenly come clean about everything when lying comes as easy as breathing?

Micah's character is strange, and I'm still not 100% sure whether I liked her or not. I think she shut off her emotions, so as not to get hurt by anyone, but accidental lets Zach in without even knowing it. Although she denies it, it's clear from the beginning that she's very much in love with Zach and his death affected her more than she let on. I also thought that Micah was a little closed minded and generally quite rude, but I suppose growing up the way she did could of contributed to that. Micah has her own inner fears, doubts about everything and the feeling of loneliness - that no one is there for her.

With the storyline being told by a liar, I was constantly wondering whether she was telling the truth about certain aspects, even though she promised she'd tell the truth. I noticed whilst reading this book, that a lot of the sentences were quite short and simple - which I thought was probably to do with Micah's personality and bluntness. (When she told the truth.) I also noticed that Micah was constantly comparing and commenting on the black and white people throughout the book, like she was a little racist herself, even though her mother is white and her father black.

The book goes back and forth to various stages in Micah's life. Before Zach's death, after his death, short glimpses into Micah's childhood and her family history so It can get a little confusing at times. Even with all this wealth of information, at the end of the book, I still didn't think I knew Micah's character very well at all. This book had so many different twists and turns but was also a little predictable at times. One major twist, where suddenly the book shifts from dark contemporary to paranormal surprised me and I'm still not sure what I thought about the change - which is why I only marked it 4/5 stars. Overall I actually really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more from Justine Larbalestier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Liar by Justine Larbalestier, 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: Liar (Paperback)

Now, while I haven't given this book the best rating, I can still honestly say that I liked it and I enjoyed it. I just didn't find it to be anything outstanding!

What I really loved was the fact that the main protagonist kept going back on her word, and after she gives a few examples of her previous lies you're not sure whether or not you can trust her. The whole book could have been a lie, you really don't know! And that is something that I really enjoyed. It really makes you think and question the narrator and your own thoughts.

Micah was bloody annoying, but she was meant to be! I didn't get THAT frustrated with her. I mean, I didn't want to pull her out of the page and tear her eyes out, if that's what you're thinking.

I have my own thoughts on what really happened in this book, and it's nothing like what Micah tells you. But everyone can make up their own minds, and I think that's awesome!

For those of you who have read the book, do you think Micah was lying about her "interesting" family history, or do you think that stuff's true? Do you believe any of the stuff she said she did?

In short, it's a great book if you're looking for something that messes with you in a less creepy way than some psychological thrillers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Liar (Hardcover)
This is a very cleverly written book where the same story is told a few times with different versions each time. But which are the lies and which is the truth? Lots of twists and an unusual take on supernatural beings. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like an unusual narrative, give this a try., 6 Sep 2011
Claire Harris (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liar (Paperback)
I picked this up purely because the bookshop I was working in had a lot of copies, so it needed a review. Wow, I was hooked. This is the kind of book that I was thinking about for weeks after, and in fact I would like to give it another read to see if I felt I could figure out what really happened. Compelling from the get-go. Admittedly, it got a bit 'weird' in the middle, but I soon suspended my disbelief and got involved again.
I recommended this to many a teenage customer, and several came back and said they had enjoyed it and were looking for similar. Good for those looking for something slightly different from vampire teen fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Liar (Paperback)
So so so so so very very very good! It twists and turns and keeps you wanting to find out more.

3.0 out of 5 stars `There's never just one lie.', 17 May 2010
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Liar (Hardcover)
Micah Wilkins is a liar. But when her boyfriend Zach dies brutally, the shock might just be enough to set her straight. Or perhaps not. Especially when lying seems to come as naturally to Micah as breathing.

Was Micah dating Zach? Did they kiss? Did she see him the night he died? And is Micah really hiding a family secret? What is the truth? It's all in the reading. Or perhaps not.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of this story, felt cheated by the second part and never really recovered well enough to make complete sense of the third part. So what kept me reading? Ms Larbalestier's writing kept me turning the pages, and the second part of the story was comparatively short. And once I got into the third part, then I really wanted to know how it would end.

Simple, really.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

Liar
Liar by Justine Larbalestier (Paperback - 21 Dec 2010)