4.0 out of 5 stars A romance with charm
Published 24 months ago by Christabel

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this time period!
I love the cover! It really does say what this book is about. I'm always entranced by this time period. Even with all the hardships, I think I would have liked to live in this time period.

Published on 5 Dec 2011 by Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf

4.0 out of 5 stars A romance with charm, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Borrowed Light (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a really pleasing read, well-written and full of period detail. The Mormon background provides a framework that gives some of the main characters strong moral and religious convictions, which is always good to find in a romantic novel. The story is pure Jane Eyre, from the answered advertisement through the orphaned child and the mad wife, right down to the fire at the end! The tension/resolution of the last few chapters feels a little contrived (hint, he has given up coffee!) but I have read worse!
This is the first novel I have read by Carla Kelly that is set in America. There is definitely a more relaxed feel to the dialogue and all the Americanisms that are so out of place in dialogue set in England ('in back', 'visit with' etc.) are of course just right here!

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this time period!, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: Borrowed Light (Kindle Edition)

Julia Darling (love her name!) runs off to Wyoming to avoid a marriage. She is cooking for some ranchers. I love her adventures in the kitchen her first few weeks. Kind of hilarious! While she cooks, a romance is blooming with the boss. Love when that happens.

This is another Latter-day Saint novel. I hate to say it, but if you aren't LDS then you won't know what's going on. It is stereotypical LDS. You may or may not like that. I still enjoyed the story line enough to keep reading.

I did liked it. There is something about this time period that always draws me in. I felt that the romance was organic and true.

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed Light Carla Kelly, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Borrowed Light (Kindle Edition)
I love Carla Kelly's novels but this one I enjoyed not so much a good story but just too holy than though for me. However it does give you some information which you may wish to follow up concerning the Mormon faith. Not a keeper for me.

Borrowed Light
Borrowed Light by Carla Kelly (Mass Market Paperback - 8 Feb 2011)
5.24