5.0 out of 5 stars Spoton for the Grand Kids
Published on 3 Nov 2012 by Phil L

3.0 out of 5 stars Scratch a good start
This book does what it says - It teaches you the basics of Scratch programming.
The CD-ROM that comes with it includes all the programs and pictures that you need to carry out the exercises in the book.
I worked through the whole book in a few hours, manually doing all the practical exercises in Scratch itself.
(I was using an old G5 iMac, which confirms...
Published on 12 Feb 2012 by Nico

3.0 out of 5 stars Scratch a good start, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Scratch Programming for Teens (For Teens (Course Technology)) (Paperback)
This book does what it says - It teaches you the basics of Scratch programming.
(I was using an old G5 iMac, which confirms that Scratch is, indeed, a cross-platform program.)
It did work - at the end I knew how to program some fun stuff in Scratch.

My main criticisms are that it is too detailed and repetitious for students to use and yet does not provide enough programming theory for a teacher.
Had I been so inclined I could, no doubt, have got to the same level in Scratch by searching through the resources on the Scratch website.
As for a book for students, I would have liked to have seen some problems to solve, perhaps using a flow chart or two, to give more inspiration to students to build their own Scratch projects.
For these reasons I give the book 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoton for the Grand Kids, 3 Nov 2012
This book was bought to allow me to get a head start on my grandchildren, I've bought a Raspberry Pi in order for them to have the experiences with computer programming that I had with a ZX 81 many moons ago. Scratch is an ideal starting point with block based programming. I used the book initially prior to giving it to the kids, its always good to hear them ask' how do we do this Grandad?'. The book is easy to read, well structured and delivers the right level of detail at the right time.

My only concern is the price, its not as cheap as I'd hoped, as a Yorkshireman nothing is!

The buying process was standard Amazon, click product, email confirmation and parcel arrives three days later, it works normally and this was no different!

5.0 out of 5 stars scratch programming, 16 Jun 2012
An excellent book with lots of examples and instructions. Great for helping teens understand the basics of scratch and to spur them on to produce projects of their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good programmers Guide for this great Kids Programming language, 17 Feb 2012
Having programmed I must say it's nice to see a helpful programmers guide. Even tempted me to play about on Scartch for a while!

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratch yes but for teens?, 21 Aug 2013
Dr. D. G. Weston (Bradford, Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I found the book very disappointing and the title misleading. It is Scratch for utter beginners and it adds very little to the online tutorials and help you can get from Scratch. I would recommend the free online Scratch-cards and Super Scratch Programming Adventures.

3.0 out of 5 stars scratch: fine for easy programming, 21 May 2013
when i saw the item and its review in amazon it looked good. easy programming, it claimed.
well, it does just that, but in a very limited way. will be great with young kids, but it is not for
me. sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scratch for teens, 17 May 2013
This book is very easy to read, not the slightest bit nerdy, and full of the sort of information I want.
I was glad to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov 2014
Great book and value - thank-you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scratch programming, 8 Mar 2010
Unfortunately this item was purchased as a birthday gift for my grandson an I have not heard as yet how he is getting with it, I can only comment on the service in the processing of my order this was in fact faultless.

Scratch Programming for Teens (For Teens (Course Technology))