5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity Itself !
Many people who use a computer to produce their music will eventually find their progress hampered if they lack a working understanding of music theory.

We all know when something we've written 'doesn't sound quite right' but without knowledge of the principles underlying musical composition it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact reason why. All the books...
Published on 30 May 2008 by A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but cluttered.
In 2011, I was completely new to music theory. I purchased two books to come to grips with the subject.

Music Theory for Computer Musicians is a large book with a lot of useful information.
However, the big minus is that the key points (facts, lessons) are not easy to distinguish from the irrelevant ones.

The author does go in depth about many...
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Adam Tzur

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Clear, To the point, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Good book, easy to understand, written well, would recommend as a basis for understanding theory of music which is normally a complex subject

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for any producer, 2 Sep 2013
Faisal Osman "fosman" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Very well written by someone who clearly has a passion for music and experience in teaching. Michael Hewitt plainly knows what he is talking about. I really I don't see how you can make EDM/produce without knowing this book back to front. 5 stars. No question.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
My husband says this is a great book and he is really enjoying reading it and learning about computer music. Would recomment it he says.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
It will increase your knowledge about music theory and shows examples in the book using reason.It has a very wide scope and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A densly packed and well structured book., 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
This book was recommended by a college music lecturer as ideal for beginners like me, and since I started working through it I have been highly impressed. It starts off slowly by introducing pitch, duration, intervals and notes, and works slowly into scales, chords and more complex matters. It really fired me up, and I like the exercises and the fact that you can download the answers, but not find them in the book (too easy to kid yourself and cheat). You can also download an MP3 version of the included CD so you can keep everything close to hand when working in Logic or whatever music software you're using; it works with most of them and deliberately references at least six different DAW titles with screen shots. There's a lot of information packed into it and I think it may take several passes of working through the book to absorb it, but it's a seriously good text for helping you start to learn the theoretical foundations of music.

I noticed a couple of slightly confusing grammatical or semantic errors, fortunately a little thought enabled me to work out what the author meant; it's a minor niggle in a book which has so much to offer. I'd recommend this book for anyone starting out in music theory who is willing to work hard studying it; music is a complicated subject so there's no easy route to learning about it, but this does smooth the path a fair bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Enough, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
I'm happy and disappointed with this book at the same time. I was expecting it to be full of reference material on things like Frequencies for keyboard notes (Like when you use Oscillators in your DAW's), scales, chords and just more about writing music in computer programs. However, its pretty much a book to help you learn your way around a keyboard, how to use keys in your songs with a little bit of beat theory thrown in. This is fine for me because I dont know half this stuff anyways so its still filling a hole, but if you already know your scales, keys and your dominant from your sub-dominant notes I wouldn't recommend it. What it does teach it teaches well and thorough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Tackles a complex subject in a very clear and straight forward way . . I'm not even quarter way through the book and already feel confident this book will move me forward within my hobby of producing within ableton . . Up until now I've self taught and produced by ear alone and run into the associated walls. . This book is giving me a clear concept of the theory of music that no doubt will move my productions onto the next level. . I recommend this book to anyone like me who is into music production with a keen ear for there genre but lack the classic musical training to get there tracks to the point they want

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping hand, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Very good book, will teach you music theory and about melody's and harmony and much more. I'm a drummer learning to compose melodies and its helping loads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learners guide!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
This is a great learners guide and very well set out and easy to follow!

2.0 out of 5 stars False promises, 7 May 2009
L. dawson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Firstly, this book made me beleive that i would be able to understand music theory without having much , if any, previous music thoery knowledge, and it was targeted for the computer musician. I am under a quarter way through this book and i have had to refer to other books to find out what some of the theory jargon means and i am having to start right back from the begining of the book as i am totally lost and confused. The author describes midi sequencing but quickly loses track and discusses notation through score editiing in depth which to me is for the traditional musician who is progressing into utilising music computers. The book has alot of potential, but no real insight into what a computer musician understands and how are brains operate. In order for me to fully understand this book i will need more books on music theory just to understand what the author is talking about half the time. I would recommend to any computer musicians that your better off learning sound design, the sequencer your working with and chord/scales and arrangement.

However, get this book if your inspired creatively by total mental confusion

Music Theory for Computer Musicians
Music Theory for Computer Musicians by Michael Hewitt (Paperback - 2 May 2008)
22.19