5.0 out of 5 stars works for me!
I struggle more than most with music theory , and this book was more helpful than any other I have came across

It is not a magic wand that will have you know all angles of an extremely complicated subject, from one glance, but it does however teach you many helpful tips and breaks the complicated stuff into smaller chunks and with a small amount of persistance,...
Published on 10 May 2009 by twisted beats

3.0 out of 5 stars good but riddled with inaccuracies.
An excellent book for the beginner, especially as the ridiculous amount of printed errors in the assignments pages and text will force you to re-check everything multiple times to decide whether you misunderstood something or you have come across yet another typo. Proof reading is not something this Publisher seems to believe in much. Look for something else.
Published 13 months ago by Lardossan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great, simple Introduction to music theory, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
A very well written, & clear introduction to music theory, aimed specifically at computer musicians, so most concepts are explained in relation to the Piano Roll - that is found in the vast majority of Digital Audio Workstations (DAWS). An audio CD is also included, so, if some concepts aren't crystal clear, the ability to simply listen to the referenced audio track on the CD is a very convenient feature, but the main concepts are so well explained, that this situation is rare - (in my experience, anyway, & I'm no virtuoso!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 24 Dec. 2010
A. W. Box "AWB" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
I bought this in the hope of an easy introduction, some hope! This book needs to be read at a SLOW pace with lots of concentration. If you rush you will get frustrated, it needs iron discipline to get the best out of it. In the 10 days I have had it,I have read the first 4 chapters about 3 times each and am going back over again.
It has a wealth of information but I personally found the style of writing somewhat off putting by the author constantly refering to his day job in the middle of an explanation. I imagine he has taken this course in an attempt to make it a little less daunting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Enough, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
I'm happy and disappointed with this book at the same time. I was expecting it to be full of reference material on things like Frequencies for keyboard notes (Like when you use Oscillators in your DAW's), scales, chords and just more about writing music in computer programs. However, its pretty much a book to help you learn your way around a keyboard, how to use keys in your songs with a little bit of beat theory thrown in. This is fine for me because I dont know half this stuff anyways so its still filling a hole, but if you already know your scales, keys and your dominant from your sub-dominant notes I wouldn't recommend it. What it does teach it teaches well and thorough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for any producer, 2 Sept. 2013
Faisal Osman "fosman" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Very well written by someone who clearly has a passion for music and experience in teaching. Michael Hewitt plainly knows what he is talking about. I really I don't see how you can make EDM/produce without knowing this book back to front. 5 stars. No question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Tackles a complex subject in a very clear and straight forward way . . I'm not even quarter way through the book and already feel confident this book will move me forward within my hobby of producing within ableton . . Up until now I've self taught and produced by ear alone and run into the associated walls. . This book is giving me a clear concept of the theory of music that no doubt will move my productions onto the next level. . I recommend this book to anyone like me who is into music production with a keen ear for there genre but lack the classic musical training to get there tracks to the point they want

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book. I'm half way thru and I recommend ..., 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Brilliant book. I'm half way thru and I recommend it. It is helping me lots as I never really had music theory in school before to understand the basics and move further with my production skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
It will increase your knowledge about music theory and shows examples in the book using reason.It has a very wide scope and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Clear, To the point, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Good book, easy to understand, written well, would recommend as a basis for understanding theory of music which is normally a complex subject

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
My husband says this is a great book and he is really enjoying reading it and learning about computer music. Would recomment it he says.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping hand, 12 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Paperback)
Very good book, will teach you music theory and about melody's and harmony and much more. I'm a drummer learning to compose melodies and its helping loads.

Music Theory for Computer Musicians
Music Theory for Computer Musicians by Michael Hewitt (Paperback - 2 May 2008)