4.2 out of 5 stars1,296

on 5 February 2012
This is a wonderful and moving story. It is one of those books that makes you think once you have finished reading it. I very much like the fact that despite the main characters slightly shady past, he is a fairly normal type of person. Whilst I do not wish to spoil the story for any potential reader, Mack (as he is called), suffers a bitter loss when his young daughter is abducted on a camping trip. A few years later the bitter Mack receives a message that appears to be from God, inviting him to the Shack (a location you will no doubt find out about it's significance). Mack against his better judgement visits the Shack and ends up spending the weekend with Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who you find are blended into interesting human type forms. We then get a real insight into who is God is, how we have failed him in so many ways and the beauty of love and relationships. I will not spoil the story any further, as with any good fiction writer Young keeps the book going with twists and turns making it a hard book to put down. To conclude, I have purchased a copy in Polish for my Wife who is Polish, and will try to encourage others who are either non beleivers or slightly lapsed in the way of their faith to read this amazing book.
88 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2012
A good fictional story, but it must not be confused as real spiritual guidance. The author has obviously got spiritual knowledge and used it to create an interesting story that should make one think about ones place in the universe.
on 12 July 2012
I've just finished 'The Shack'. I heard it talked about and was reluctant to read it, not really knowing why.
But I need to tell you this - it's incredible. And you should read it.

There are so many people commenting here as to why it's so good. I'd probably say that it's God breathed too - and I wouldn't say that lightly.
It tackles much of what we have interpreted God to be - and in many many cases, how we have interpreted Him into someone that he's not.
Religion is about rules and hierarchy but God is about relationship. There is a massive lesson here for the Church today. Sit up and listen.

I cannot find anything in this beautiful work that opposes what the Bible tells us about God. We may know ABOUT God, but we don't really know the HEART of God.
The portrayal of God the Father as a black woman is perfect here. Read this book knowing WHO God is and you won't be offended. If you are, perhaps you need to rethink who your god really is.

This book will inspire you - and I hope that like me, it helps you understand who God really is.

Colin
on 24 August 2011
The Shack kept popping up on my computer screen and so I decided to see what the book was about...I did not fancy reading it because it appeared to be potentially a little depressing. I read the reviews, changed my mind and bought the book.
When I purchased the book,I believed that the contents were a true account.
I was truly moved by the book, found myself on a roller coaster of emotion whilst reading it. I had moments of sadness but also moments of elation and I found myself crying with pure joy. I was on cloud nine because the book confirmed my own beliefs.
The problem is, I became curious about part of the contents so I checked out the book on utube. I found out that it was only a story written for the authors children and that it is not a true account of anything. I was so disappointed.
The only thing I will say is that it is was a good read and I am left with the knowledge that there are people all over the world with similar beliefs. There is no smoke without fire :-)
on 1 October 2012
The Shack

I was recommended this book by a friend who thought I would enjoy it........well he was right.

This book does have a have a religious theme to it, but to be honest I don't think you have to be "religious" to enjoy the sentiment or the message in this book. The author leads the reader through a roller coaster of emotion from the start.

Without giving the story away the lead character is distraught when his young daughter is murdered and constantly questions himself over what he should have done, what he could have done and this fuelled as the murderer has never been brought to justice only adding to the torment. When a letter is received from God then perhaps, only perhaps can he seek justice for his little girl.

Whether you have any religious beliefs or not this book is well worth reading. One of the very few books that I would read again.

A most enjoyable read I would recommend anyone to read it.....
on 28 August 2012
Although this is a work of fiction, it is very thought provoking. It is easy to read and difficult to put down once you start!
Whether you 'have' religion or not, this is a must.
on 4 July 2012
I love this book. It's packed with thought provoking ideas and interpretations of what the bible says about God. It challenged me to think about how I view God - about how much of my image of Him is from the bible and experience of Him and how much is just projected onto Him from my view of my earthly parents. Some of the pictures of God jar slightly to begin with because I'm so unused to thinking of God that way, but I found that so helpful in breaking free from my own thoughts on what God's like so that I can look more deeply for what He really is like.

I've heard there's a lot of criticism for this book, I guess because those counter to the normal pictures of God can make it uncomfortable, but this book got me thinking, challenging my ideas and interpretations of things and helped me to know more fully the true character of God. I think it's truly inspired. I love it.
on 24 January 2008
How to reconcile a loving all-powerful God with human suffering and a lot of other questions are approached in this story in such an original and refreshing way, it changed my perception of many things. A book filled with beauty and love and full of little surprises. For me one of the best books I have read in a long time.
on 16 January 2015
I was lent this audiobook for a long drive I was going on. My mum has been trying to get me to read it for a long time, as she and other Christians I know found reading it to be an incredibly profound experience in relation to their faith. I’ve resisted until now because it didn’t really interest me and I’m not a particularly religious person, but with 11 hours in the driver’s seat ahead and several of those hours through areas with no radio reception, it was better than nothing! All that said, be aware that my non-interest in the book may well colour my review, however fair I think I’ve been.

The first thing I would like to address is the recording itself. I can’t remember the name of the guy reading it, but it’s fair to say he’s not the best. Several times I had to switch back to music because he was making me feel sleepy and when it comes to the accents, they’re all over the place, particularly Jesus. The only one he manages with any consistency is Papa and the rest are completely hit and miss, making it difficult sometimes to know who is speaking. That said, the quality of the recording is clear and the beginning and ending of the discs are clearly marked, unlike other audiobooks I’ve listened to where there is no marker and it just skips back to the first chapter on the CD. That’s a tick in the ‘pro’ column.

The book itself is kind of odd structurally. Frankly, I’m amazed it ever got published. The first half of it reads like a crime novel and is full of pointless characters and pointless world building, although you don’t realise until later that they’re pointless. In fact the whole first chapter (possibly a prologue?), which is the narrator addressing the reader, is completely pointless. I know that sounds harsh, but the book is billed as a discussion on the nature of faith and the latter half of the book is exactly that. It’s almost like the author knew where he wanted his character to be, in a shack with “God”, and then tacked on the bit in front because he felt like he had to explain how the character got there. It’s really quite bizarre how it’s a crime novel to start with and then suddenly switches to a series of circular discussions about theology when Mack arrives at the shack. Long story short, Mack’s 6 year old daughter Missy got abducted on a family camping trip (where Mack was the responsible adult) and killed by a serial killer. All they found of her was a torn and bloodied red dress in a remote shack in the woods. That’s all you need to know, so why he spun it out into chapter after chapter with a whole supporting cast of characters that have no bearing on the story just doesn’t make any sense at all. I also didn’t really understand the author’s obsession with the slip on the ice and the head injury. It’s just pointless waffle. There were sections of it that were so repetitive I started to feel like if I heard the words “Circle of Relationship” one more time I was actually going to break something. It’s the same with the theological arguments. They just go round and round in circles, far past the point where the reader has understood what it is that the author is trying to get across.

So that aside, was listening to it a profound spiritual experience for me? No, although I CAN see how it would be to a person of faith looking to deepen and understand their relationship with God. Did I find it fascinating and thought provoking as a philosophical/theological discussion on the nature of faith? Actually yes, in a few parts.

There was some beautiful imagery and conceptual thinking. The one that really struck me is the idea that love is “the skin” of knowing. If you love someone, it doesn’t matter what you come to learn or know about them, your love can expand to fit that knowledge. If you love unconditionally, your love will always be greater for that person than the sum of knowledge you have of that person. Love is therefore the skin of the knowledge. I don’t know why that concept in particular struck me, but it really did.

I also really enjoyed the discussion on gender equality and the interpretation of the creation of Eve from the rib of Adam. The author theorises through the characters that because woman was “born” of man and then goes on to give birth to man, there can be no gender differentiation given to woman simply because they have a role as mother, because woman was initially born of man. I’m not explaining it very well, but you get the point. It was at this point that I began listening to the story with a bit more interest, because it appeared to diverge quite significantly from traditional Church teachings, so it was interesting to me academically. The Church has long treated women as second class citizens, despite revering the Virgin Mary to some level.

This divergence is fully realised during later discussions between Mack and the various aspects of God. The author appears to revert to an almost Gnostic interpretation of faith, wherein your relationship with God isn’t about institution or preaching or formulaic worship; it’s between the two of you and the love you have for each other, one of the author’s so-called “Circles of Relationship”. It reminded me of the Gospel of Thomas found at Nag Hammadi, wherein Jesus states bluntly that you will not find God in buildings of stone or wood. Instead you may split wood and God will be there. Lift a stone and you will find Him. The concept that God is within and surrounding the person and/or the earth and not associated with any Church or institution is an old one. Having studied the Gnostics and the early history of the Church during my school years, this aspect of the book really was quite fascinating to me, not least because so many of the Christians I know find this book profound and moving when it quite clearly goes against the grain of much of the teaching they have come to accept. I found my thoughts wandering on how different things may be if different gospels had made it into the final version of the bible, or if the Gnostics had survived the early persecutions and continued on to preach to this day. It struck me as somehow ironic that in trying to deepen people’s understanding of their relationship with God, the author is also directing them away from the Church. I’m not sure if that was intentional or not.

There are sections of it that just made me downright irritated because they were contradictory to earlier parts of the book and at times they were arrogant to the point of being offensive. One that got me actually snapping at the radio is kind of appropriate to the previous paragraph so I thought I’d bring it up. It’s the section where they’re discussing the ten commandments and “God” says to Mack that s/he gave us the ten commandments knowing that we’d fail at them to prove the point to us that we totally fail at being independent beings. They’re described as a “dirty mirror” simply designed to reflect our inadequacies until we let go of all rules and laws, and exist only in God’s grace. It then goes on to discuss how laws and rules are bad because they teach us judgement and responsibility and how those concepts are dead things. The way in which it was written made it sound so arrogant and it jarred me enough to remember that this is a man putting words in the mouth of his God. While I’m sure we can all agree that living in a utopian world where everyone is happy and equal and kind and free of all responsibility would be amazing, the way in which it is presented is dangerous and subversive. He mentions law and rule several times, lambasting it for simply existing for the purpose of being a way in which people are controlled. He says we should live without rules and laws, and in a perfect world by all means have at it. The point is that we don’t live in a perfect world and telling people to go out and live outside the law and outside of responsibility for their actions and behaviour is both dangerous and, in my personal opinion, stupid. Just because you choose not to recognise a law doesn’t mean that breaking it won’t get you sent to prison.

Another section that I found incredibly offensive was later on in the book. It was the meadow scene where Mack meets his dead father. This was a man who grossly abused his son, including tying him to a tree and beating him on and off for two days. Mack then killed his father by poisoning his alcohol. You can imagine that I was somewhat surprised and then angry when Mack realises his father is in the field and runs straight down and into his arms exclaiming how much he loves him and forgives him. If it had been couched in terms of Mack’s development and understanding of forgiveness through his discussions about God and faith over the previous day, this might have been a little easier to swallow. Instead he just keeps repeating that he’d wanted to tell him all these things “for so many years”. You don’t just get over abuse like that or come to love the abuser you murdered (!!) and to suggest that anyone does is both belittling and hurtful. Especially when this is a character that has not resolved anything in his life or received closure in anything. It’s inconsistent and ridiculous and it becomes clear why it’s even in the book the following day when God suddenly brings it up in discussion to prove a point.

There were some very emotional parts of the book, particularly where Mack is in the cave with Sofia and sees Missy and then later on when God leads him to find her body. These encounters were well handled and did bring a lump to my throat because they were sad and hopeful and redemptive all at once.

The discussion between Mack and Sofia in the cave is an interesting one. I was just past this point in the book when I finished my long drive and have often thought over it in the days since, while listening to the remainder of the book. The book covers the eating of the apple from the tree of knowledge in what I perceive as something of a unique way. The author refers to it as the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the basic outcome of that is that in determining what is ‘good’ and what is ‘evil’ mankind has simply given itself the burden of having to judge between them. The deeper aspect of this for the Christian is that railing against God for allowing or not preventing something the Christian perceives as evil is judging God by a uniquely human grasp of the cosmos, which is ridiculous. Christian or not, the lesson within that is something that ALL people should learn. You should not judge others, particularly when you don’t know all aspects of the situation.

And I guess that, in essence, is what I took away from this book. If you stripped away the religious magical realism of the events and made “God” a counsellor or something like that, I may have found it a bit more profound because it would relate to wider social and moral issues. A man in a very dark place struggling to come to terms with his emotions is something I can relate to emotionally. I can even understand a struggle with faith under those circumstances, particularly for a man struggling to blame everyone and everything rather than accept that bad things sometimes just happen and you have to learn acceptance as part of your faith. It could have been a book that reached to a much wider audience had it not been so heavy on the theology in the way that it was set up. But then maybe I’m missing the point. Maybe I’m not the target audience at all. Maybe it’s a book solely aimed at Christians struggling with their issues.

In the end, the final message of the book was one that resonated quite strongly with me and it’s one that I think we should all be mindful of, spiritual or not. Every thing that you do in this life, every single thing, has consequences that ripple out from you like a stone thrown into a pond. Every decision you make, every fleeting thought, every word and action and intention, changes the course of your life and thus changes also the course of those around you. Be mindful of your words and thoughts and how they can affect the people in your life. Sometimes doing the thing that’s hardest for you may be the right thing for the people you love. Taking the path of laziness or self interest can sometimes hurt those you love in ways you can’t even begin to imagine. Be mindful and open your eyes, ears and hearts to the ripples.

I try to finish most of my reviews by saying whether I’d recommend it to anyone or not. In this case that’s a difficult question to answer. I’d say it depends on what your goal in reading it is. If you’re a Christian or any spiritual person struggling with your faith and you want to understand how to deepen your personal relationship with God, then yes. This book might help you on that journey, although I qualify that by saying that there may be other, perhaps better, books out there about it. I don’t know because I don’t usually read this genre of book, by which I mean Christian Fiction. If you’re looking for a good piece of well-written fiction then choose something else because this book does not tick that box.
on 23 March 2010
Firstly, I would like to say that I found this book interesting and well worth reading. However, my interest was based more on an interest of the philosophy of Young from a non-christian (non-anything really) perspective. As a fiction tale this is terrible. The story is almost secondary to the preaching and it is rushed through at a rate of knots. I like character development and time to digest what is going on. This is: daughter dies, guy loses god, guy meets god, guy rediscovers faith and at no point is this a surprise.

Other reviewers have correctly pointed out that the farcical FBI investigation detracts greatly from the "story" element. In fact many aspects of this are ridiculous, including the fact that a grown man gets a letter inviting him to spend a weekend at the place his daughter was murdered and his first thought is that it is an invite from god.

It is also irritating becaue the main character (Mack - can you believe it!) makes himself out to be a poor husband and father. In fact the story suggests from the outset that he is a very good father and husband: he doesn't drink, he is not aggressive, he enjoys taking his kids away from weekends and reading them stories, hiking and canoeing with them. Sounds like he is a pretty good guy but we are told repeatedly that he has failed his children and wife and that he needs to be a better person. Mr Young should try visiting where I grew up: I can't remember any of my friends whose fathers spent more time at home than they did at the pub or any of them that took their kids camping or canoeing.

Moving on from that though: this book does explain Young's philosophy on what it means to follow the teachings of God and I really liked his argument. Most of it is common sense and very "unchristian" from the perspective that it does not preach the bible and it recognises the hypocrisy of the church in its approach to trying to teach the virtues of christianity from the security of the hierarchy (and not to mention the wealth) it has created for itself.

All in all this is interesting if you are interested in theology but it is a naff story and if you want a gripping tale forget it: every part of this story and everything that happens is predictable from about page 10 and there are no surprises whatsoever.