5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent self-help book
I was very impressed with this book, which tackles the subject of Plantar Fasciitis very thoroughly. It starts by explaining the anatomy of the condition & what causes it, then takes each proposed remedy in turn and uses published randomised clinical trials to show which of them really works.

It turns out that the condition has nothing to do with inflammation,...
Published on 29 Sept. 2011 by Jimbob036

1.0 out of 5 stars A deceptively unhelpful book
Really? A five-minute solution to plantar fasciitis? -- Wow! Let's go for it!

-- Well, except, have you encountered that saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"? -- In my considered view, that applies here.

Published on 30 Jun. 2012 by Philip Goddard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent self-help book, 29 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)

It turns out that the condition has nothing to do with inflammation, so taking anti-inflammatories won't help. It's actually due to an injury, which needs to heal naturally. Healing can be helped along by some simple stretching exercises to be performed at least 3 times a day, and always before putting weight on the foot. And that's it in a nutshell, really- keep doing the stretches, and it should improve!

The condition usually takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get better, and the author goes on to identify 3 risk factors which if tackled, can help to stop the condition returning. He also throws in a couple of other treatments, just in case you happen to be one of the few unlucky people for whom the stretches don't work.

I'm now 8 weeks into my stretches, and although not completely better, the bouts of pain are now less frequent, although probably just as intense. So, there is improvement, but it'll probably take about 6 months to get completely better.

It's now 5 months since I started my treatment, and my fasciitis is pretty much better now. It only hurts if I put too much pressure on my left foot for a long period of time- this happens mostly when I'm sitting at my desk with my right leg crossed over my left, with my foot flat on the floor, so I have to remember not to do this. I've also lost a bit of weight, which the author identified as a risk factor. It's not been a quick fix then, but I'm relieved that the pain has finally gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
Got this book 2 days ago. I have had this horrible foot pain for months now but being a mum of two little boys I am always on my feet and put it down to that. After a two day shopping trip I was climbing the walls every time I stood up. I went to the doctors and was told I had Plantar fasciitis. I was given an anti-immflamatory gel to rub on. It was rubbish and if anything made the pain worse. I also tried ice which seemed to help but that was probably because it was frozen! Looked on the internet for a solution and nearly ordered something from America but thought that I would just check out Amazon as I am a regular customer and knew that there were books out there.

I found this book and read the reviews (wish there were more to compare) and bought the book. As a previous review says - you could write the solution on a small piece of paper - the book is still worth getting. It really explains things and the bigger book and larger text is nice to read. I also like the writers ways of writing. Not all technical (there is technical stuff in the book but just to show extracts from research)

I started the excercise that he says is proven. I have done what he say now as he recommends and I can honestly say I think it is working after two days. Pain no where near as bad but the excerise is great if it does really hurt after being on your feet for a few hours. I will certainly keep doing the excerises and hopefully in time will get rid of this horrible disorder if thats what to call it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!, 24 April 2013
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot towards the end of 2011 while doing a lot of walking on holiday in some flip-flops. After suffering for about a year, I bought this book and started doing the exercises every day and exactly as the pictures show. I am incredibly lazy when it comes to any kind of exercise, but I found the stretching easy and quick to do. The book has large print, is easy to read and understand and is actually quite a good read. I used the log provided in the back of the book and did the exercises for 8 weeks, and I am now pretty much fully recovered. I still have slight stiffness in my left heel when I first get out of bed in the morning, but this quickly goes away and it is not pain as such - just a stiff feeling. Before starting the exercises, I was wearing a night splint and orthotics in my shoes (I am a nurse so am on my feet all day - this I cannot change). I even lost a bit of weight but nothing seemed to help. I was getting the classic sharp pain in the heel first thing in the morning, and the pain was returning later in the day as an ache. I no longer wear flip-flops or unsupportive shoes. I stick to shoes with a decent arch support such as Dansko clogs, Birkenstocks or running shoes. I feel that the exercises described in this book got rid of my plantar fasciitis, and I would strongly recommend anyone with it to try these stretches before trying anything else.

Thank you so much Mr Johnson!

5.0 out of 5 stars one year on, and alls well, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
Well, i followed the exercises as described, bought good quality supportive insoles for my shoes (superfeet green), and a year on things are much better. It does take time though, and patience too. I tried the NHS exercises found online, but I found that they hurt me. So there we are, not much to the book, but it explained all things well, and I can say that following the instructions and taking care not to walk too much or up hills, things do get better. hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd known about this 2 years ago!, 13 July 2009
L. Popplewell (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
Stumbled across this and was a bit reluctant to pay the relatively expensive price but I'm so pleased I did. Having struggled with plantar fasciitis on and off for years, I noticed an improvement immediately upon starting the exercises. Like others, I'd tried lots of other things, seen specialists, none of whom told me to do what the book suggests. True, the solution could be written on a postage stamp but I think I agree with the author, that it helps to understand what the problem is in the first place. It's a very easy, no hassle exercise you have to do. My plantar fasciitis hasn't completely gone but it's much much better and I can now do the activity I want to do - so as far as i'm concerned it was a price very well worth paying and I would certainly recommend the book to fellow sufferers.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 17 April 2009
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
I bought this book several months ago during a flare up of terrible heel pain. I was reluctant because of the cost but was desperate and now I am glad I did. Basically the book goes into quite a lot of scientific detail - which you may or may not find interesting. But then the suggested treatment is incredibly simple. I have to admit to feeling slightly cheated by it. The book is expensive and it is short with a lot of white space.

But the Solution does actually work.

At the time I was trying all kinds of other remedies, so although I felt it was this book's method that worked I couldn't be 100% sure. But just recently the good spring weather has brought on a phase of extra long walks and my heel pain returned. I went straight back to the Solution in this book - nothing else at all - at it worked. Immediately.

Really it should be 5 stars because it is a simple truly effective method that has saved me untold pain. But you could write the method on the back of an envelope (or even a postage stamp) and still get the same result - hence I'm dropping a star just because it seems a bit of a 'greedy' cover price - but I know that is the publisher, not the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 18 months of pain this really worked!, 25 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
I got this book for my mum in desperation after she had spent 18 months in constant pain and had tried everything else including expensive therapists. This book effected a real reduction in her pain levels within a couple of weeks and she is completely back to normal now after less than 3 months. She loves walking and had been hugely restricted by plantar fasciitis, so this book has allowed her to get back to normal life and fitness. It may well be possible to get this information on the internet, but the book brought it all together in one useful, easy to understand and interesting guide and helps my mum to keep the condition at bay.

It seems to me to be a small price to pay to get your health back and compared to the cost of the therapies and insoles she paid for it was relatively small!

5.0 out of 5 stars Credit where credit is due, 30 Jun. 2012
S. Desmond - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
Those reviewers who criticise the simplicity of this book do not mention the extensive research undertaken by the author and cited in the 8-page appendix. In other words, this work will save many hours of trial and error for most sufferers of the condition.

Also, I know from experience the frustration of using untested free information from the Internet that does not work or work as well.

I have found the main exercise in Mr Johnson's book to be particularly helpful. He also identifies three key risk factors, two of which I suffer from, and explains how to mitigate their effects on the plantar fascia.

There is a further section on how to prevent the condition from coming back.

The author points out that there will always be a minority of sufferers (6%) for whom the main exercise is not effective. Therefore, he cites a number of other options for eliminating plantar fasciitis for these people.

I also recommend Hafner's book Injury Afoot which includes a range of techniques for strengthening other parts of the leg to help combat plantar fasciitis.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for me, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
I have suffered with plantar fasciitis on and off for many years. I have had painful cortisone injections, physiotherapy and spent a small fortune on insoles, supports, heel cups and other paraphernalia. I followed the method in this short book and started to feel relief after a couple of days and it kept getting better and better. As long as I keep it up it and follow the guidelines I am relatively pain free. To me it's a minor miracle and such a simple, quick method. Brilliant!

1.0 out of 5 stars A deceptively unhelpful book, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution (Paperback)
Really? A five-minute solution to plantar fasciitis? -- Wow! Let's go for it!

In a variety of ways this book is seriously misleading, starting with its absurd title, which sums up the author's journalist-type instant categorical 'sound bite' sort of approach to the plantar fasciitis issue. The '5 minute' in the title was arrived at by adding the nominal accumulated time of the plantar fascia stretches applied in one of the sessions described by the author - but even that is misleading, because, complete with a little pause between each stretch, one such session would actually take somewhat more than five minutes even if you timed each stretch to exactly ten seconds, and you would need to have at least three such sessions per day, for at least eight weeks and quite possibly indefinitely. Five minutes, my haemorrhoidal back end!

Initially, although having some misgivings, I got somewhat carried along by this book, as I was concerned to get working as quickly and effectively as possible on my own plantar fasciitis, which was affecting my left foot and preventing me from getting out on my regular hikes. The author presented evidence that seemingly convincingly underlined his assertion that most people needed to take little or no action against their plantar fasciitis problem other than the one regular stretching exercise for the plantar fascia that he gives in the book.

So, I immediately started using that exercise as directed - particularly immediately before getting out of bed and immediately before walking around after any long period of sitting. Result? My pain was increasing, not levelling off or decreasing!

I realized that I might have been too enthusiastic and could have carried out the stretching too strongly and thus caused some degree of re-injury - something about which the book had little really useful to say (i.e. in terms of practical details). Also, more generally, even if / when using this particular stretching exercise appears to be working, this book had nothing to say about an overall strategy to avoid re-injury and thus both speed healing of the extant injury and prevent recurrence. Rather, the reader is being encouraged to turn away from any sort of overall strategy and just focus on one exercise.

That made a sort of sense to me when I took a step back and looked at what the author was actually doing in that book. He had taken a good bit of the book's content space to review the evidence for the effectiveness of a variety of supposed anti=plantar fasciitis measures in assisting people with that condition. His conclusion was that nearly all of them more or less individually helped at least to some extent, but the plantar fascia stretching exercise (i.e. as he presents it in the book) was the clear winner. That in itself was good information as far as it went, but the trouble was that he then went on to misuse that data in order to pick out the one method and effectively say "Just use that, and you can ignore the rest unless you're one of the minority for whom the stretching method doesn't work". The implication was that in that case you could go off and use some other (single) method, which might work for you.

Plantar fasciitis, even more than many other sports injuries, is a complex issue in its interaction with attempts to get clear of it, and a proper understanding of that condition and how one has brought it upon oneself and how one is continuing to reinforce that injury is a basic requirement, leading on to a comprehensive and balanced multi-prong strategy to prevent or at least minimize re-injury and thus speed healing and prevent recurrence. You do not get help for such a strategy from this book, and indeed I regard the book as actually harmful because it would lead many people into something of a side-track in which they believe that they have found the answer but are actually not doing a whole range of vital things that are necessary at least to prevent recurrence.

The Good News is that you can safely forget this book, because there is a book that not only includes the plantar fascia stretching exercise (presented more helpfully) but also fulfils the above-mentioned requirements too. That book is 'Injury Afoot', by Patrick Hafner. Fortunately I bought both books at the same time, and it is the latter book that I'm keeping - the '5 minute solution' book, which is the subject of this review, being due for the recycling heap because I would not want to pass that on to anyone and give them simplistic and indeed wrong notions about how to clear a plantar fasciitis problem (or indeed any physical problem).

It's probably worth adding here that I am not a newcomer to self help methods of resolving physical problems - and indeed some would look upon me as having a certain expertise in this area. In particular, from 1993 I resolved a very serious problem of back and neck dysfunction and pain (through taking up the Alexander Technique), and, more recently, on different occasions, have healed a major attack of osteoarthritis in my right knee and a grade 3 tear ('rupture') of my right quadriceps, all without medical intervention or assistance (in each case, soon getting back into full length hiking again). So I do find it relatively easy to recognise effective and indeed deficient strategies for addressing particular physical problems.

The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution
The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution by Jim Johnson (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2008)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks