5.0 out of 5 stars Review of, "Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff"
I ordered this book for my brother-in-law who has experienced shoulder pain and not being able to lift his arm higher than shoulder level due to a rotator cuff injury he received in the past. I recommended it to him because of the wonderful results I got using the information in this book to treat my own right shoulder pain.

Having previously read, Jim...
Published on 15 Jun 2007 by a Senior Citizen Couple

1.0 out of 5 stars Not against this book in particular but...
My husband 'thought' he had a rotator cuff injury & was using exercise to help it! He has now had to undergo extensive neck surgery because the pain in his shoulder was coming from damage to his discs & spinal column in his C vertebrae. This book is probably great if you do have a rotator cuff injury, looking at the other reviews, but please do not self-diagnose. Go to...
Published 23 days ago by Christine Boal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of, "Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff", 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)

Having previously read, Jim Johnson's, The Sixty-Second Motivator, and finding it very helpful, I can tell you that I certainly had the motivation to try and stick with an exercise that would relieve my painful and restricting condition. And it sounded to me like my brother-in-law was in the same boat.

I used the Sidelying External Rotation exercise on page 55 of the rotator cuff book and got great results. The first time I tried it I could only manage to raise a 20 ounce can of pineapple about half way up less than ten times. I found the detailed instruction, precautions and notes particularly helpful and feel that carefully following them was why I experienced the gradual recovery. My wife sat beside me making sure I did the exercise slowly and exactly as the book states. After about four weeks I actually worked up to fully raising the can of pineapple 20 times. Later on I increased the weight little by little and began to feel good enough to resume some of the more physically demanding activities on our small farm.

Last week I was actually able to assist with harvesting our hay and didn't suffer during or afterward from any of the shoulder pain or stiffness that I had previously experienced many times. Yes, I was careful about what I did and how I worked, but for me to even attempt to try stacking a 60 pound bale of hay was completely out of the question a few months ago. I went from shoulder pain that caused me sleepless nites and not being able to lift my right arm any higher than shoulder level, to what I consider a darned good day's work.

This book is a real bargain and indeed I consider it invaluable when I think about how it helped me. And as you can see, I heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the cover !, 17 Oct 2009
Mr. M. A. Cook "MAC" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
Having suffered for the best part of a year with shoulder problems I set about research and came up with this ideal book which expalined step by step the exercises to combat the various problems surrounding this complex limb ......

I cannot recommend enough to buy this book and try the exercises.....

5.0 out of 5 stars treat your own rotator cuff success, 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
I purchased this book after tearing my Supraspinatus Tendon along with the Teres Minor. The pain was major and I couldn't even lift my left arm.

I train at Thai Boxing and couldn't even imagine doing so again as the physios were reluctant to give my any guarantees. Anyway, I bought this book and slowly and thoroughly went through all the exercises and stretches mentioned within. Afer a few weeks I was able to elevate my arm more with less impingement, and after two months had significantly improved muscle mass, strength and range of motion. I now train again and my shoulders are more developed and stronger than before the initial tear.

I continue to use the exercises detailed in this book routinely and would recommend anyone, with or without rotator cuff problems, to follow the program, if you do, you will certainly see the results. The book is well written, humorous and has easy to follow diagrams so that anyone can follow and learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 week in and already feeling the benefits, 18 Aug 2010
Mr. Gareth J. Millar (Plymouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
I bought this book as an alternative to going to a physio. In my experience a physio trip involves a few stretches and a bit of ultra sound plus a 40 bill at the end. I have been using this book for a week now and the exercises recommended in the "intermediate" section have already started to allievate a lot of the acute pain and restricted movement I had been experiencing. I had been overtraining shoulder pressing with kettlebells and as such have been experiencing pain under my AC joint as the result of bad form (on my part). This book gives you specific exercises to perform to stretch and strengthen the rotator cuff. It's a very specifc book for a very specific joint.. Well worth the money.. next week I will start the advanced section and plan to keep these exercises up in order to ensure a healthy and strong rotator cuff.. great times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Tremendously effective., 10 Mar 2011
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
I injured my rotator cuffs when I have 18 and didn't do too much about it for almost 10 years. Somehow I stumbled across this book on Amazon and decided to give it a shot and I am glad I did.

This book is, 1) Short 2) Easy to read as it is written in simple language 3) Explains the anatomy of the shoulder beautifully 4) Lists exercises and stretches that are extremely simple and extremely helpful

Since I started doing the stretches and exercises mentioned in this beautiful little book, my shoulder looks and feels much better and they feel a lot stronger. Like I mentioned earlier - the stretches and exercises are very simple and some people (like my flatmate) might not believe they work. THEY DO! If one does them on a consistent basis, their condition will most definitely improve.

I am extremely glad I purchased this book. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Treat your own rotator cuff", 12 Nov 2009
Excellently written book.

THis seems to have "hit the nail on the head" for me. Its not over complicated but it goes into enough detail on why you may have shoulder problems & how shoulders work. It also mentions the studies & proof should you doubt what is being written.

The end chapters on the stretches & exercises to strengthen your shoulders are perfectly laid out. Clear with pictures & a summary table at the end.

I love clear & simple things that work, which is exactly what this book is.

Im glad someone is writing something that makes sense to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
This book will aid you in improving a number of different arm/shoulder problems. Once you have the benefits and improvements that result from doing the exercises do not overdo them because that way lies madness and tennis elbow which has taken 3.5 months to recover but that was my fault and nothing to do with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
So, I've been doing the exercises and stretches prescribed in this book for about 6 weeks now, which is a good amount of time to write a review with some credibility.

I've been having shoulder problems for about 5 years, been getting progressively worse, I'm 30 years old, Male. I'm sporty and in good shape. My shoulders click and pop with almost all movement, gets painful and inflamed

So far treatments I've tried:
- Doctor - Anti-inflammatories (useless)
- Doctor - Ultrasound (visual) (useless - other than it told me I had a problem - which I already knew)
- Doctor - Steroid injection (useless)
- Doctor - Referred to physio
- Physio - Exercises prescribed, little to no improvement doing exercises almost everyday for 3-4 months
- Chiropractor - Helpful advice, suggested back stretcher as poor posture was a factor.
- Finally this book - 6 weeks of doing exercises for about 10-15 mins 5 days a week, very manageable. Definitely seeing an improvement in mobility, strength, function, less pain, less clicking.

All in all money well spent, simple, practical, effective treatment. The right exercises applied in the correct manner.

Thanks Jim Johnson, I was beginning to despair...

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, simple book, accessible, but poor diagrams., 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff (Paperback)
I bought this book to help strengthen my shoulders and avoid injury with weight lifting. Using the stretches and exercises in this book has kept things in balance. It's a well-written book, using well-sourced information that also dispels some of the myths that surround exercising with weight/intensity.

All in all, very good. A little expensive for the size of book perhaps, and you will find most of the exercises available elsewhere. The value of the book is in its structure, and background of research. My only complaint really is with the quality of the diagrams - they are simply awful. They're badly-drawn, too small, and often poorly annotated. For an understanding of your shoulder's anatomy you would be better off referring to some other material in conjunction with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have shoulder weakness, get this!!, 9 May 2011
P. Jackson - See all my reviews
Fantastic book!
I had rotator cuff problems from excessive chin ups and dips.
I had to lay off these exercises for a long time.
I found this book, followed the simple instructions and 6 weeks into the shoulder exercise regime, my shoulders are now feeling strong enough to get back to the chin up bar.
Thoroughly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa852a198)

Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff
Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff by Jim Johnson (Paperback - 7 Jan 2007)
13.59