5.0 out of 5 stars my missing link
Published on 18 Oct 2006 by jimbvis

1.0 out of 5 stars Motivated me to write a bad review!
'A book that will change your life!' the cover boasts. What a load of rubbish. This book is just common sense, but there is nothing in it that will actually motivate you, it is just summarising things you already know. As already stated by a previous reviewer, the 2 secrets are :- Increase Importance and Confidence. The tip for losing weight goes as follows, quote :-...
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by J. Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars my missing link, 18 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
Having read Jim Johnson's No Beach No Zone weight loss book, I knew WHAT to do, plain and simple, and WHY it was important. So why wasn't I doing what the book laid out as a proven plan for weight loss? It's all about motivation. There's even a chapter on motivation in his weight loss book - but this book takes it one step further, into the science of motivation. Personally I think both books dovetail into one another well, especially if your lack of motivation happens to be in the field of losing weight. The science of how to lose weight permanently, and the science of motivating yourself to do anything. Once again, this is all based on research and not what one guy thinks.

One of the best surprises about this book is the way it is written. Without giving away too much, I can tell you that this book is more of a story than a collection of facts, and reads almost like a mystery. One thing's for sure, it's extremely engaging. I read the whole think in one sitting; the research and strategy don't take volumes to explain or lay out. I'm not one to read huge volumes, and Jim Johnson always makes a concise read devoid of medical mumbo-jumbo. The actual motivation chart takes up one page and really makes you think about what makes your own self "tick". The only excuse for not getting motivated is if you aren't willing to give up one hour of your time, and a little more time spent thinking straight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet book, 13 Feb 2008
booklover 17 (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
I read this short book within a space of an hour. It is straight to the point, and is written in the style of a story. The author is a US Physical Therapist and tells the story of when he was a student and he visited a senior Physical Therapist in a hospital as part of his training. He learned how to motivate someone within 60 seconds to undertake therapy by increasing importance + confidence in the patient. Although this book was essentially about how someone was able to increase his patients' motivation, this can also be applied to other areas of your life - for any goal. It is an easily understandable read and if you are looking for a way to increase motivation quick then look no further than this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Motivated me to write a bad review!, 15 Feb 2011
J. Ellis - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
'A good example of this is telling someone to walk a little every day because it will keep them healthy. What if I told you that walking a little every day could also help you get that extra fat off your stomach and thighs? Then, what if I told you you might also start getting more looks and attention from the opposite sex?'
I know all that and it has never motivated me to lose weight!!! If you're hoping to be motivated into weight loss, don't bother because that's it! There are no revelations in this book and it was just a waste of an hour, reading a story that was obviously meant to wow but instead just irritated.
He also needs to get a better proof reader as the book was littered with mistakes that only added to my annoyance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sixty Second Motivator - Book Review, 3 July 2007
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
Both my husband and I enjoyed this book a lot. We found it to be a neat, well organized little book written in an easy-to-understand, straight-forward style that is genuinely enjoyable while at the same time providing valuable insights about why we do or do not do things. While we found it quite analytical about key factors concerning motivation, the book didn't make us feel intimidated or "preached at". The tone of the book came across to us as friendly, low-key, very helpful, analytical and a valuable "keeper" to refer to in life's future situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful, 9 Mar 2013
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
This book should be up on the bookshelves next to "The One Minute Manager". It's written in the same style - an easy to read, short novella - and it's at least as useful.

I have a lot of books on change. They're all considerably more complex and academic than this one. I've also not read any of them (except for the Heath Brother's Switch) all the way through.

I've just read this six-second book in less than an hour and the ideas are incredibly simple and I know I'll use them over and over and over. In fact, I know I'll start using them on Monday when I'm back at work and I'm just about to tweak a chapter in my own book based on what I just read.

So, here's the thing: the concepts and examples in the book are simple - if you want to motivate yourself or someone else then figure out how to increase the importance of the change & how to increase their confidence that they can do it - but if you only spend a few seconds reading them, you won't take them in; so spend 60 minutes with this book, learn the concepts quickly, but follow along with the story just so that you have time to let the concepts sink in.

It's a very good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half the story, 1 April 2010
Ian Rogers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
Unlike most personal training or self-help books that are endlessly repetitive (and so self-defeating in their tedium), this book is direct, simple and written in the style of an engaging story. You can read this book in 30 minutes and get all the juice. This is a very good thing.

I'm not giving away too much by saying the main premise of the book is "motivation = importance + confidence" - you'll need to read the book to understand why this assertion is true.

I was dissappointed though that the book dealt fully with the "importance" side of things - giving various techniques and tricks for increasing importance - but the "confidence" side was brushed off in just 2 pages or so.

So 2.5 out 5 for only giving half the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Book Might Motivate You to Spend Your Money Better Next Time, 2 April 2012
Michael Cunningham (Melbourne, Victoria (AUS)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
The Sixty-Second Motivator (2006) is the first book I've come across since I've started reviewing books that I've had mixed thoughts about. Honestly, the book has a lot going for it, and I would probably give it to a friend to read, but I don't suggest you spend your hard earned money on it when there is better information available on the internet for FREE.

In a nutshell, the book is in the form of a short story about a young physical therapy student who wants to know how to motivate his patients to move around and stuff. He hears about this legendary therapist known as `the sixty-second motivator', earned from his reputation in having the ability to motivate anyone to do anything in exactly one minute or less. Young student meets legendary therapist, and then the rest of the book follows the two as the therapist attempts to motivate old people to walk around, while the young whippersnapper marvels in his glory. Oh, and it's a very quick read too, with about 10 or 20 pages of information spread out to about 80 thanks to it's big text - a trick we all learned in primary school.

"Well, let's just say at this point I have some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?"
"Oh boy," said the patient. "I guess give me the bad news first." (p. 53)

In light of the above quote from the book in question, I will begin this review by outlining my disappointments before I branch out into it's strengths. Naturally we like to hear our news in this order, so I will comply. Funnily enough, the book's first weakness could also be considered by some to be it's strength - the book is too simple in it's exploration of a very complex subject such as motivation. Rather than explain the underlying reasons why we become motivated to make a change, the book instead hammers two basic methods for motivating people, and never really explains why the motivation occurs in the first place. Firstly, you should know that the book's definition of motivation is as follows:

"Motivation can be thought of as how ready a person is to change. Therefore: A highly motivated is very ready to change. While a poorly motivated person is not ready to change."

Pretty simple right? Well get used to it, as that's about as tech as this book gets.

The book stresses that only two things are necessary in order to motivate someone to do something, they are:

Importance - increasing importance of changing a behaviour creates more motivation.
Confidence - increasing your confidence that you can change a behaviour creates more motivation.

Ok, fair enough. The next problem with the book is that it uses poor examples of how this can be used to motivate a person. Seeing as the author is a physical therapist, all of his examples pretty much revolve around old men and women who don't want to do their exercises. It is difficult to apply these scenarios to more realistic situations where one would need to be motivated, and honestly, the book doesn't offer the reader any motivation to try and modify the examples to fit their own. The next problem I have with this book is the editing, I know this won't be a problem for many of you, so I won't stress it, but I found a lot of grammatical errors and places where the flow of the writing was affected by poor choice of words; it was as though a child had written the book for a school project, and had never read it twice to make sure it was up to standard. Considering how short the book is, and the fact that it is asking people to pay money to read it, there is no excuse and it loses points in my book. If I was marking this book as a school assignment, I'd probably give it an F for editing.

Another problem I have with the book is it's lack of research. The writer makes almost no effort to produce any research to back up his findings. There is one stage in the book where the protagonist looks up some psychological databases on the computer and finds a really crappy experiment where smokers are assigned to two groups, one group is told to quit smoking as it's bad for their health (which they obviously already knew), while the other group is motivated by professionals to quit. They follow up a year later and find the smokers in the second group has a higher quit ratio than the first group. Well duh. I could log into a psychological database right now and dig up some research which is more interesting, more important, and less obvious in sixty seconds. Again this drives home the point for me that the author is lazy and hasn't done his homework. The end of the book even includes a reference page which contains no more than 5 references... This is pretty weak, considering that in first year psychology we had to provide more references than that for even a short 500 word summary on a subject such as motivation.

The last problem I had was it's focus on motivating others and it's almost total lack of information on how to motivate yourself, which is the reason, I imagine, most people are buying this book. Not a big assumption to make considering

1 . It's a self-help book.
2 . The cover states clearly: `How To Motivate Yourself To Do Anything'
3 . The cover boasts that it is `A Book That Will Change Your Life!'

The only effort the book makes at applying the lessons learnt to motivating yourself is a single page at the end of the book which provides a checklist of obvious questions to ask yourself, such as `what would it be like if you reached your goal?'. If you don't already know how to ask yourself questions like that, then you don't need a book on motivation, you need a new brain.

Finally, I arrive at the book's strengths. Phew!

1. The book is short. So short in fact I read it in one sitting, half of which occurred on the toilet, the other half on a chair outside while I smoked a cigarette. No, I didn't find myself motivated to quit after reading this book.
2. The book is written in a short story format, which makes it easy to read and a lot more engaging than your average self-help book.
3. The text on the page is nicely laid out, a good sized font that is well spaced - easy on the eyes.
4. The book is short, oh wait, I said that already.

If this book were a pamphlet that you could get for free at the doctor's office, then I would have nothing but praise for it, but seeing as how it attempts to pass off as a well researched and clever book on motivation, that is also deserving of your money, I can't justify it at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 23 Mar 2011
Jp Breslau "jj" (europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this little book, it made me realise that everything comes down to me, no matter how many books i read, its still me that has to make the changes, worth reading

The Sixty-Second Motivator
The Sixty-Second Motivator by Jim Johnson (Paperback - 16 May 2006)
10.11