5.0 out of 5 stars Just came through the door. I'm so excited!, 31 Jan 2011
Dave Kinsella "Jesus First" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2 (Paperback)
I've been waiting around for a long time to get this set. No particular reason why, just didn't bother till now. But now that I have them I am delighted.

To be honest I was humming and hawing about whether to get the Yale University hardback editions or the Hendrickson paperback editions, which are about half the price. I read a review online and contacted the reviewer about the quality of the paperbacks. The response I got wasn't the best, though he said he was happy with them. To be honest it was the price that just tipped me over the edge towards the Hendrickson editions, which is the editions I am reviewing here. I am happy to say I am not disappointed. Hendrickson have a reputation of quality, and this was also another factor in my decision. I have their 10 volume set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers which I really like.

One of my main concerns was whether such a hefty tome would open flat on a table the way a Smyth Sewn Bible would do. Although it is perfect bound (using glue and trimmed on all sides, which is the way the vast majority of books are bound these days), the book does open up nicely on a table. This is great for study or just plain reading for pleasure.

The paper is a little thin, kind of like Bible paper but not as good quality, which means you can see through to the other side. However, with books of this size that is to be expected, and I for one am not that bothered about it.

The contents include the following not necessarily in this order:

Volume 1 -

Sibylline Oracles
Treatise of Shem
Apocryphon of Ezekiel
Apocalypse of Zephaniah
The Fourth Book of Ezra (4 Ezra)
Greek Apocalypse of Ezra
Apocalypse of Abraham
Apocalypse of Adam
Apocalypse of Elijah
Apocalypse of Daniel

TESTAMENTS (OFTEN WITH APOCALYPTIC SECTIONS)

Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs

Pseudo-Eupolemus
Cleodemus
Artapanus
Pseudo-Hecataeus

Also included is a general forward by George W. Macrae, S.J., a forward for Christians by James t. Cleland and a forward for Jews by Samuel Sandmel.

There is a general intorduction by the editor and there are introductions to each work explaining such things as original language, date, provenance, historical and theological importance, relation to Biblical and apocryphal books, cultural importance and a bibliography.

The author James H. Charlesworth is the George L. Collord Professor of New Testament Language and Literature and director of the Dead Sea Scrolls Project at Princeton Theological Seminary, New Jersey. He also directs the Syrus Sinaiticus Project at St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai. Charlesworth is a world-renowned translator, particularly of pseudepigraphical material, and the author of Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls, The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls, The Serpent: A Symbol of Life or Death? and The Historical Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed., 24 Nov 2012
Frank F (Northwest London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2 (Paperback)
For a thick paperback, I'm very pleased with the quality of the paper and printing. The finish is quite good. (I'll let you know after 10 years of use about the binding);-)
As to the content, I'm always pleasantly surprised with the quality of books associated with James Charlesworth; both his comments and those of the contributors add great value and solid understanding and the content as mentioned elsewhere is quite comprehensive. These two volumes are a great addition to my library and well worth my investment.

The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2
The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2 by James H. Charlesworth (Paperback - 1 Mar 2010)
46.99