5.0 out of 5 stars Very good
I bought this as I was a bit rusty on DirectX in general, and was hoping for some better examples of how to use DirectX 10.

An excellent book so far, I'm only about half way through but it's managed to clear up questions I still had remaining from using the SDK, along with refreshing some old info I had forgotten.

There is no page filling "How to...
Published on 18 May 2009 by G. Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete book
The book is good. However, it requires the previous book (concerning DirectX 9) before a lot of it can be understood. The author says so inside the book. I ordered both books from Amazon at the same time, but after a lot of delays Amazon have now told me that it is unavailable.

Published on 3 Nov 2010 by TJR

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 May 2009
G. Gray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct 3D 10: A Shader Approach (Wordware Game and Graphics Library) (Paperback)

There is no page filling "How to create a project section", descriptions are through, the writing style is easy to follow and there are examples at the end of the chapters to try.

I also like the shape and size of the book! It's a reasonably small paperback (around A5 size) rather than the more typical larger computer books which most people publish. It just seems to make it easier to hold and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Queer., 16 Oct 2009
Andreas Tsiapis "Torous" (W53RL) - See all my reviews
I am a software developer (C++) working in the defense industry, and I decided to start game development as a second part time career.In short, this book is fantastic. Crystal clear and very very explanatory. I will briefly give the advantages of the book:

1. Very good introduction to 3D maths.
2. A very good Win32 for beginners appendix.
3. A very good reference to the HLSL.
4. Very explanatory (as I said).
5. You will understand how to correctly set and create a 3D game.
6. Very good bibliography and nice recommendations for further reading.

The last bullet (6) is overly very important as you will come to understand. Game development is
a very broad concept and it involves a variety of technologies and frameworks (C++/C#/..., D3D/OpenGL, HLSL, maths, input, sound, physics, AI and the list goes one and on...). If you are serious about game programming, I advise to start building your library...

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches DirectX from the standpoint of someone who wants to use it, 11 Dec 2009
This book lays out its material in a clear progression as you learn to add more functionality to similarly designed programs. The contents of the book can be found at the books website, but for example, you learn how to put to use lighting in chapter 6, and then progress to adding textures to your lit models in chapter 7. Similarly in chapter 8 you then learn how to implement transparency, or other uses of blending to your textured, lit models.

The quality of the material is superb, and doesn't waste the authors or your time trying to teach you advanced uses of topics the first time you see them. That's kept for Part 3 of the book. He also includes a number of exercises at the end of each chapter which I strongly recommend you do. The amount you learn from doing something is much greater than reading it and even being able to recite what was done.

I'm currently at the end of part 2, and am concurrently attempting to use the knowledge already gained in a game I'm programming using directX. The book has already proven invaluable. I cannot review part3, but I suspect what I will learn will be of equally high quality.

If I had to find criticisms (I know I've given it 5 stars, and it still deserves them) I would say some of the exercises at the end of the chapters can be a little sparse. Chapter 1 starts with 18 questions but most exercises only have a handful. Blending particularly could have had more set questions. Also, some of the questions refer to resources which aren't available for download, such as a set of lightning textures to make a textured animation. Also, the maths intro was quite quick, being only 3 chapters, but then, this book is not a primer on maths, and if you truly want to understand the maths, there's plenty of other books out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete book, 3 Nov 2010

So, as the DirectX 9 book is required, and it is no longer available, I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere, until/unless the author makes it a complete book, not dependent on other books in the series..

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no competition, 15 Oct 2009
Joe Best (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the only DirectX 10 introduction that is worth buying, and it really is worth buying. The author covers all the topics thoroughly, and it is paced well. There is even a maths primer, and an appendix on windows programming for anyone new to it. Lastly, Luna fairly often even explains the mathematical principles behind what DirectX does under the hood, you don't need to know a lot of these things but it's fascinating stuff for nerds like me!

Don't expect to come out of this book with a full game.. However you will be fully equipped to take a game engine you previously wrote (or pick up a new book) and port its DirectX 9/OpenGL rendering to DirectX 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another excellent DirectX book from Frank Luna, 11 Dec 2011
This book as the two previous books by Frank Luna is clear and concise. An easy read and an excellent index for beginners to intermediate programmers. You can follow this book even as a beginner, as all code is explained in plain language with the added benefit of having the source code for all of the examples available to download. The book explains the necessary vector math, so the reader is never left to "go figure". There is plenty of good content all ordered in a sensible order, so that the examples build on the readers knowledge. A definite 5 stars and a pre-order for the next book in the series is guaranteed.