5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 1 Dec 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) (Paperback)
"The World is not beautiful, therefore it is."

The first line in this book, and a powerful one. How funny it is that the one thing everyone strives for is perfection, yet we all agree that a perfect world is impossible. Even if it was possible, would we really want it?

Kino doesn't remember what her original name was, only that it was the name of a flower. The first Kino came into the town she lived in when she was eleven, days before she was to have the operation to make her a grownup. The first Kino was a traveller, spending only three days in each new place.

While "curing" a junked and discarded motorcycle, the first Kino tells the young girl about other places and other lives. Places where you don't have to have an operation to be considered an adult. Places where you don't have to do a job that makes you unhappy, just because it's required. He sparks a light in this little girl, and inadvertently brings about his own death. A new Kino is born. She escapes on Hermes, the repaired and animated motorcycle.

Kino becomes a traveller, moving from place to place, staying only three days. Some places are nice, some strange, some scary, and some are downright dangerous. Kino and Hermes learn about life, themselves, and humanity as a whole.

This was not only a really great story, but a really interesting look at the nature of people and society. As well as an interesting take on the concept of "be careful what you wish for". It challenged my ideas of right and wrong, and what cost they come at. It's the first of a planned eight books, and I am extremely interested to see what Kino and Hermes get into next.

Reviewed by: Carrie Spellman

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Surprise!, 29 Oct 2006
C. Martin (N.I.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) (Paperback)
I have to admit, when I bought this book I had no previous experience of Kino, the animated series or other. But impulse took over and I went for it. I will admit, I was expecting a manga not a novel and aside from that the book was a massive surprise. I wasn't expecting anything as brilliant as what I got!

Kino No Tabi: The Beatufil World is one of those books that you will come back to again and again. I don't want to use that old cliche, 'it will change your life' but you'll certainly find yourself looking at the world a little differently.

I highly recommend it and can't wait for the next in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars The world is not beautiful, therefore it is., 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) (Paperback)
This is the first in the series of novellas telling the tale of a young girl calling herself Kino traveling from country to country with hermes her motorad (a sentient motorcycle) and staying in each no more than 3 days. Each stay tells a tale of the passion and plight humans cause within each-other and how different cultures can be.

There is also a short animated tv-series based on the stories in these books. I highley reccomend these stories as they are often deep, somtimes dark but always entertaining and make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey The Beautiful World With Kino, 9 Oct 2006
This review is from: Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) (Paperback)
When I heard that Tokyopop would be releasing an English language version of the novels that my favourite anime Kino's Journey was based on, I was thrilled. This is a truly magical series, focusing on the adventures of Kino as she travels across a hash world with only her talking motorcycle, Hermes for company. The countries she visit each have a different message on the human condition. If your looking for something smart and intelligent then I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) (Paperback)
Brilliant book - recommended.

Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction)
Kino No Tabi: v. 1 (Pop Fiction) by Kouhaku Kuroboshi (Paperback - 1 May 2007)
Used & New from: £40.43