Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 August 2012
Adam's amazing and unique trip - I wonder if one day there will be similar homage trips - certainly set the bar high. An 18-week trip, 40 games, 65,000 miles of travelling. Surely it will never be repeated?
The book breaks down the trip on a week by week basis, not only do we get the details of each game, but more importantly the journey between venues and the inside track on the 'sport' of tailgating.
The book really tells how Adam embraces the world of being a fan of different teams and the best part is how Adam develops from being slightly apprehensive about pitching up at different stadiums and trying to fit in with different fans to being a full out master tailgater.
Early on Adam tells the story of attending a Packers/Vikings game and being asked outside Lambeau Field if a cameraman could film his ticket for an opening segment for the TV coverage in exchange for Adam being caught on camera.
"He showed my game-day ticket to the world, while I was somewhere in the background, bobbing up and down like one of those fans."
Fast forward an NFL season and Adam's sharing a jar of Branston Pickle with some hardened Cheeseheads.
"They nervously spread the black gooey goodness onto the cheese and took a small bite. They winced with the vinegar kick. I was surprised at just how much I cared and wanted them to like my addiction."
In a book that started as a dream, a challenge and then a quest, it's the bonding and exchange of cultures that warms the heart more so than the actual action on the field.
For anyone who has ever taken a trip to an NFL stadium in America or for anyone who wonders what it would be like to throw it all in and jet off around the US for nigh-on six months, this book is for you.
Even if you haven't, you can't help but laugh and smile at Adam's brilliantly written story of how something we'd all probably dismiss as a silly idea, turned into the trip of a lifetime.
on 16 April 2013
Got this book for a present and really didn't know what to expect, but was happy to discover it was a superbly written book which was entertaining, informative, funny and strangely touching. His love of the game shines through at all points during his trip, but he never gets too technical without explaining it so it can be enjoyed by those not too familiar with American Football. If you are a fan of the NFL though, you will love it. It's great to read about all the stadiums and tailgates and heartwarming to see how welcomed he was by American fans.
on 18 May 2016
Just completed reading this book whilst away on a week holiday, and as an NFL this was the perfect book to read. I thoroughly enjoyed following Adams' adventure travelling all over America to experience the tailgating culture that obviously comes across as the heart beat for fans who love football, and without such dedication from fans the sport itself could easily suffer. Thanks for a wonderful read and I now look forward to experiencing tailgates for myself very soon!
on 24 July 2014
Nothing special and in fact its actually quite hollow and poorly written. Lot's of Boo-Hoo and Poor You moments but I did manage to finish it - only because I was about half way through before I realised that I was reading the same thing over and over again and decided to stick it out to the end. I would never read it again, If I could go back in time I'd read something else and even if I didn't have the Kindle version I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else.
on 31 August 2013
Really enjoyed the book, if you are planning to watch any NFL games in States this is great insight into planning and what to aim to experience on your NFL road trip. It's also a top read if you just love the NFL and want to know more about the game and how NFL differs from other UK sports. All 32 NFL stadiums in one season is some achievement and its a lot of fun reading how Adam Goldstein achieved his goal.
on 18 April 2013
Join Adam on his road trip around America and its NFL city's, if your like me a fan since the 80s you will relate to this book but its a must for all NFL fans as well as just a fan of sports in general. I loved it so much i have a hardback copy and on my kindle as well. This is a book that proves your passion and dreams can come true if you really put your mind to it and want it. Five stars all the way
on 3 August 2013
Even though I am not an American football fan, I really enjoyed reading about Adam's mammoth trip and the wonderful, hospitable, eccentric people he met & befriended on his journey. It was interesting to read the comparison between British football fan culture and U.S fan culture and understand why Adam is such a super fan of American football and the tailgating culture. Loved it!
on 11 January 2013
I am a huge fan of American Football fan so naturally this book caught my attention quite easily. It is very easy to read compared with other books on American football I have read, that can be at times quite technical and a bit dull just regurgitating stats. Tailgate to Heaven is a great story of 3 of my favourite things; American Football, Travelling and of course food!
on 7 September 2015
As a Brit new to american football and particularly the NFL this was an enjoyable and rewarding book which helped me learn more about the game in the setting of a road trip based travel narrative. It richly explores the culture of tailgating, perhaps more than the sport itself so there may be other books strictly more educational, but that is not what this book is sold as. The book was interesting and a nice holiday travel read. The author is not a professional writer and at times it does show (spotted a fair few typographical errors but I don't know whether this was exclusive to the kindle edition) but overall it is well written with good descriptive language and use of quotes. At times it can become slightly repetitive and it would benefit from greater explanation of the games themselves but this is a mild criticism and overall the book provided a satisfactory exploration of his multitude of experiences. Would certainly recommend for anyone with an interest in NFL, Gridiron in general or American culture.
on 19 January 2013
I bought this book for my die-hard Patriots fan girlfriend! She loved it and read it in a day! As a new fan of American football, I went to my 1st game this past year, I thought it might be too involved for me, BUT, WOW!! Really enjoyed this book enjoyed it completely learnt so much about a great sport that I am begining to really enjoy!