5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the tailgating culture.
Published on 30 Sep 2012 by C. Mclaughlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Amatuerish, self-indulgent and half-finished.
Nothing special and in fact its actually quite hollow and poorly written. Lot's of Boo-Hoo and Poor You moments but I did manage to finish it - only because I was about half way through before I realised that I was reading the same thing over and over again and decided to stick it out to the end. I would never read it again, If I could go back in time I'd read something...
Published 3 months ago by J. Dryburgh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the tailgating culture., 30 Sep 2012
C. Mclaughlin (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book looking forward to reading about the trials and tribulations of a British American football fan travelling the country to watch every NFL team in their home stadium. What I got was much more than I expected. I did not realise how welcoming and loyal American football fans are. T hear the stories of tailgaters welcoming everyone into their circle was brilliant.
The book was witty, funny and in some parts very informative. If you know nothing about American football, don't worry. The author explains a little bit about the rules etc before going into the details of the book. If you do like American football, then you'll love the book. The references to the Hall of Fame, the rules, the stadiums, not to mention the changes to his schedule (or audibles, as he puts it) and challenges with meeting certain people, and fmaily members. It will all keep you reading this book for hours. It took me a full day to read. As you can tell, I enjoyed it very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a literary classic but an interesting and fun read, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
Being a big UK fan of American Football but having virtually no knowledge of the tailgate culture I really looked forward to reading Adam's book.
It was a massive under-taking and he obviously gave up a lot to go on his adventure and I am sure he doesn't regret it one bit. For my part, I was as keen to see the general American Football culture and read about the individual cities that make up the NFL and towards the end of the book I had lost a bit of interest in each individual tailgate and its menu but to be fair the book is called 'Tailgate' Heaven so hey-ho.
The book was also written a little bit like a school outing mixed with a university paper (constant quotations which did not add a lot). Sometimes Adam come across as a bit naive as well, like the time someone gave him a map of America about a quarter of the journey in and he said how useful it was!! Really, a map of America useful on a tour of America, might have been worth packing one to be fair. And at first, Adam seemed to turn up late at most of the events but in fairness that added a bit of charm as well and all credit to him for making the effort of such a monumental trip in the first place.
Overall, an interesting book and I am pleased for Adam that he made it through to the end and it can be something he can be very proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, what an adventure!, 10 Aug 2012
MajorTed (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
I recently received my hardback copy of Tailgate to Heaven which I had pre-ordered some time ago after I'd heard in the news about Adam Goldstein's trip across America to see an American football (I'm from the UK - so just football to any Americans reading this) game at every major stadium in a single season. What's more, he is a Londoner just like me, whose favourite sport doesn't get a lot of air-time or newspaper inches in his home country. I could barely believe it was possible to arrange the logistics and actually achieve it (which he did, and more, breaking a world record I believe), let alone anyone have the guts to do put everything on hold for a few months and follow your passion... so I had to buy the book in the hope that I could find out what it was like to do just that!

It's clear that the author has a zest for life that makes the decisions most of us would rarely make seem absolutely straightforward. He comes across like a down-to-earth twentysomething guy with a "yes and" and "why not?" attitude. The book starts with the question of "why?"... After a couple of pages and a little insight into the way he thinks, it's almost like it was a "no-brainer".

Tailgate to Heaven is an inspiring book, not only in its account of the author's highs and lows of an amazing road-trip, not only in its affirmation of the kindness of strangers through such a simple, binding concept as a single sport (as opposed to an individual team or competition) but also because of the simple fact this book exists - it all happened! What started out as a love of a sport became a few months of discovering what it means to be a fan everywhere he went.

Adam's style is relaxed and light, he's witty and informal, in an endearing way - the book reads almost like he's a friend telling you his story, that's why I feel we could be on first-name terms by now! I understand that as I write this Adam is on tour across America signing copies of his book - I've checked the web site (don't think I can add the link here, but a quick search online should bring it up) and there are a couple of dates when his book tour comes to London, so I'll be heading there to get my copy signed!

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I had $70,000 and a spare six months...!, 5 Jun 2013
I've had a love of the NFL for the last 10 years or so and am always on the look out for books on the game. When I saw this I had to order it and wasn't disappointed. I started and finished it in a weekend and am massively envious of the trip that Adam has undertaken! Whilst also about the challenge of visiting all 32 NFL stadiums in a 17 week season, the real stories come from the tailgates themselves and the characters and fans that Adam met along the way. The generous nature of the NFL fans really shone through and I challenge anyone who reads the book to not want to instantly book a flight to the States for September to start their very own tailgating journey. Thoroughly recommended, and a very enjoyable read. I would also add that you don't need to be an NFL junky to enjoy the book, and would recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in the game as a great way to get a deeper understanding of the true culture behind the NFL fans, and American Football in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all NFL fans, 5 Feb 2014
This is taking watching NFL to the extreme..... but Boy am I Jealous. and being able to put it into a great read.10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars It felt like I was there, 10 Oct 2013
What an informative and entertaining read. I love American Football and have been to the States to see a game and have arranged to go again. To undertake such a trek was incredible and must have been lonely at times. But the book conveys the humour, warmth and generosity of the American people, as well as the intensity of a sport that is central to so many peoples lives. Our football/soccer could learn a lot from the NFL. Thank you for such an enthralling book. I only wish I could do even a quarter of this trip. The book shows that even what seems like the craziest of dreams can be done.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bridge over the pond, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
For anyone who hasn't experienced American sports culture, it is hard to compare it to any other sports culture in the world. For me personally, I have followed American football for a very long time. But, even my experience didn't prepare me for the journey Adam Goldstein took me on when I read his amazing diary of an adventure of a lifetime.
Its every American football fans' dream to travel around the country visiting different stadiums and taking in the different Cities and the people who live there. For a British NFL fan to do this is very unique indeed. From the beginning this story, and it is a great story, made it very difficult to put the book down. I wanted to know his next destination and the amazing people he would come across in the next chapter of his wonderful journey.
For any sports fan in the world this is a very interesting insight into the world of tailgating and the American way of celebrating sports teams both on and off the field. And for any sports fan in the world it is a must read. Believe me, you wont be disappointed. 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for all NFL fans, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
Really enjoyed the book, if you are planning to watch any NFL games in States this is great insight into planning and what to aim to experience on your NFL road trip. It's also a top read if you just love the NFL and want to know more about the game and how NFL differs from other UK sports. All 32 NFL stadiums in one season is some achievement and its a lot of fun reading how Adam Goldstein achieved his goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my kindle app on my iPad and planned to read it on my holiday.

All I can say is what an absolute gem of a read!

Adam embarked on a trip of a life time. He saw 40 American football games and encountered trials and tribulations along the way. But most of all he made many, many friends and has an amazing story to tell because of it.

I would highly recommend you read it if you have a love of American football or even if you don't!

The book has inspired me and friends to embark on a similar journey as well in the future.

Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight to an American institution, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tailgate to Heaven (Hardcover)
After taking in my first NFL games in the States last season and not fully appreciating the wonders of tailgating, I wanted to get further information about this eccentric pre-party ritual. Adam's book is detailed throughout and every page oozes with his passion for the sport, die hard fans and rookies alike can pick this book up and thoroughly enjoy it thanks to Adam's detailed explanations. I have a few games planned in America this coming season and this book has given me the confidence to fully embrace the tailgate, even in the sub-zero temperatures that I will be facing! I fully recommend this book to NFL, food and travel fans worldwide!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tailgate to Heaven
Tailgate to Heaven by Adam Goldstein (Hardcover - 15 July 2012)