on 4 July 2013
I decided to buy this book and use it's python examples to learn the language in a fun/useful way. having read quite a lot of books on the subject I must say that the author has done a great work with this book. Every chapter is based on some historical event (in digital security) which you'll then recreate in an easy step by step guide. In this way every script you make has a context. You have a reason for writing the script. You'll both write defensive tools, which can prevent or trace an attack, but you'll also laucnh some attacks yourself. There's even a chapter on forensics where you'll learn how to get hold of all the data stored by Skype, Firefox and Itunes(Iphone).

Reading this book will give you a better understanding on IT security and the Python language, but more advanced readers/nerds may not find the book as useful as a newbie . Highly recommended as an introduction to Python and IT security .
on 21 March 2014
I give this book 3 stars for introducing me to Metasploit and some interesting Python libraries, but withhold 2 stars for being riddled with mistakes in both the text and the code. I really hope nobody is using the horrible examples in this book to learn Python. It's also too expensive for what it is.
on 30 May 2013
The user will need some basic python knowledge before they use this book but I would imagine they could work through the python manual at the same time as reading this.

I really like this book, ok some parts can be described as introductory but they inform the reader enough so that they can go out and apply what they have learned.

If you are looking for a set of scripts you can use out of the box this book will satisfy you, however if you are looking for good ideas that you can pick up and run with this book has lots of them.

I really enjoyed this book as it reminded me of simple scripts I wrote years ago and provided the basis for some quite intelligent scripts I have written since.

This was well worth the money.
on 14 May 2014
I bought this so I could pen test my own stuff that I'm doing at work. I figure as a developer I have a responsibility to at least try & make my code secure. Has interesting chapters about taking command of drones in flight which I doubt I'll make use of but still, interesting to say the least.
on 31 March 2014
I really like this book. It's a great way of learning python (and some linux) networking tools. It does, however, require some set up to create a safe environment to try out the scripts and would really benefit from a section that helps the user create a virtual pen-test setup for someone who is completely new to pen-testing.

I'd advise that if you are new to this then you will want to look around on Google for advice on setting up a virtual pen-test environment using Kali, metasploitable and a vulnerable windows system.
on 4 August 2015
If you're looking for an absolute beginner book its not really that suitable.
Try the rather excellent "Learn Python the Hard Way" by Zed Shaw instead.
However, if like me, you need a great follow up book it is awesome.

Real world, practical examples which were great for building on a foundation.
on 22 March 2014
I've read this book from front to back about three times, and this has to be one of the best books, I've ever read about Python and hacking.
The author is very informative, straight to the point and shares some great stories.
I'm a rookie when it comes to python. I always thought that python has a huge potential as a "hackers programming language" and this books really shows why python is an awesome programming/scripting language. This book rekindled my passion to learn how to make my own tools.
Some of the exploits are old tricks, but it's hard to keep up with the hacking scene. But I have to say I actually use some of the programs that are taught/made in this book.
If you like Python and hacking, buy this book.
on 5 December 2015
Bought this quite a while ago. It explains the basics of python and programming quite nicely, and I feared that the whole book might stick to this basic theme but thankfully it didn't. Having already worked with python for a few years, it feels like this appeals to a range of capabilities.

In terms of what it teaches you, there is a nice wide range of techniques and tools widely used in pen testing/exploitation with good progress in examples to show how each part of a program is pieced together for the end result.

In summary, I feel this is great book for anyone(in terms of programming capabilities, but it definitely helps to have some experience) and is nice starter into pen testing/network analysis.
on 9 May 2014
You don’t have to be a Python developer to get a lot out of this book. The author seems knowledgeable. However, the code examples are messy and don't follow any standard conventions i.e. PEP 8. If you are trying to learn Python, this is NOT the book for you! The author does offer code downloads which helped me follow along as typing out the examples in the book format given is difficult. If you are looking for an excellent introduction to Python and security, I would highly recommend this book. If you know a little more, you may still find the stories interesting. If not for the messy, hard to follow code examples, I would have given this 5 stars!
on 27 November 2013
I would highly recommend this book. The author's writing style is easy to follow and the information is pitched at the right level.
There are lots of examples of usage with many ideas for coding projects. The author starts with an intro to Python's syntax and functions for those new to Python.
I would recommend this to any one from pentesters to students of networking and computer science. An easy 5 stars.