5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!
Published 12 months ago by Andy

3.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with errors and mistakes in both text and code
I give this book 3 stars for introducing me to Metasploit and some interesting Python libraries, but withhold 2 stars for being riddled with mistakes in both the text and the code. I really hope nobody is using the horrible examples in this book to learn Python. It's also too expensive for what it is.
Published 4 months ago by Andrew Stormont

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
I decided to buy this book and use it's python examples to learn the language in a fun/useful way. having read quite a lot of books on the subject I must say that the author has done a great work with this book. Every chapter is based on some historical event (in digital security) which you'll then recreate in an easy step by step guide. In this way every script you make has a context. You have a reason for writing the script. You'll both write defensive tools, which can prevent or trace an attack, but you'll also laucnh some attacks yourself. There's even a chapter on forensics where you'll learn how to get hold of all the data stored by Skype, Firefox and Itunes(Iphone).

Reading this book will give you a better understanding on IT security and the Python language, but more advanced readers/nerds may not find the book as useful as a newbie . Highly recommended as an introduction to Python and IT security .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and inspirational!, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
I've read this book from front to back about three times, and this has to be one of the best books, I've ever read about Python and hacking.
The author is very informative, straight to the point and shares some great stories.
I'm a rookie when it comes to python. I always thought that python has a huge potential as a "hackers programming language" and this books really shows why python is an awesome programming/scripting language. This book rekindled my passion to learn how to make my own tools.
Some of the exploits are old tricks, but it's hard to keep up with the hacking scene. But I have to say I actually use some of the programs that are taught/made in this book.
If you like Python and hacking, buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with errors and mistakes in both text and code, 21 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical examples, 2 Aug 2013
S. MARR (Lancashire, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
Good use of python and shows the flexibility by using lower-level interfaces to gather the data and then being able to manipulate the data. The examples are great to either take directly or to use for your own code. Good explanations of the source code too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got my imagination going, but messy code examples!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
This book really got my imagination going, the Author is very knowledgeable. You should put this book on your reading.

However, I have a few criticisms:

Code examples are messy. It does not take much to follow standard naming conventions using PEP 8. I understand this is not a Python ‘how to’ book, but following some basic rules wouldn't have detracted from the simplicity, if anything, it would assists it!

The Author does offer code downloads which is good, however the code formatting in the book makes it very hard to follow along if you are typing it out.

Last, I was hoping for some examples using Tor and Python, I think this would have fitted in very well.

In summary, you don’t have to be a Python developer to get a lot out of this book! It reads well and has nice 'real life' stories with examples, but I would not recommend this book if you are trying to actually learn Python.

5.0 out of 5 stars well thought through and well written, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
The user will need some basic python knowledge before they use this book but I would imagine they could work through the python manual at the same time as reading this.

I really like this book, ok some parts can be described as introductory but they inform the reader enough so that they can go out and apply what they have learned.

If you are looking for a set of scripts you can use out of the box this book will satisfy you, however if you are looking for good ideas that you can pick up and run with this book has lots of them.

I really enjoyed this book as it reminded me of simple scripts I wrote years ago and provided the basis for some quite intelligent scripts I have written since.

This was well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
Good way to get to know Python and what you can do with it. Easy to follow with good explanations. Yeah - Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
Excellent. Very well written and easy to easy to work through, or jump to relevant chapters. Not aimed at too high a level, or neither too low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, genuine stuff, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
I bought this so I could pen test my own stuff that I'm doing at work. I figure as a developer I have a responsibility to at least try & make my code secure. Has interesting chapters about taking command of drones in flight which I doubt I'll make use of but still, interesting to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book thats never on the shelf, 26 April 2014
D. Reece "and Oliver the dog." (Staffs, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violent Python (Paperback)
I love this book. I bought it hopign id be able to learn the python skills needed to go off and make pentesting tools. Although i regularly find when i have a new idea for a tool that i can re-hash pieces of example code from this book to achieve exactly what i need.

A fantastic resource, buy it without thinking :)

Violent Python
Violent Python by TJ O'Connor (Paperback - 3 Dec 2012)
21.07