5.0 out of 5 stars Really great haunting tale
This is a ghost story like no other set, at the turn of the 19th century and the start of the 21st. Two seperate periods in time related in an unusual way and brought together at Bosco, a retriet for artists.

Mediums, murders, seances, ghosts, you have it all in this book. As you read, the story unfolds in such an interesting and spooky way.

The...
Published on 22 Mar 2009 by Free Spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I nearly didn't make it through the first two chapters of this book, because the language and style just kept screaming "Mills & Boon". The cliches were piled on thick and fast. Shoulders were "creamy", profiles "Grecian", and the dialogue written for an Italian character, was just classic "Ello, Ello" style (every sentence punctuated with "how you say").

I...
Published on 22 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great haunting tale, 22 Mar 2009
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The characters from the past connect with those in the present until the past can be redeemed through the present.

Wonderful writing, brilliant plot and believable characters. I am ordering more of Carol Goodmans books right now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intertwining of the past and the present, 30 Mar 2010
Lori "book girl" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ellis has come to Bosco a retreat for novelists and artists to write a book. Her mother is a spiritualist and although Ellis has rebelled against this she has become fascinated with a past mystery involving Bosco, seances, murders and a missing child.

The author then takes us through 2 stories that interweave Ellis' time at Bosco and her research into the mystery for her book (which leads to the ghosts haunting the place to start to possess the artists) with the story of the actual events and characters involved in the seances.

This is a good mystery and ghost novel with both stories linking together and complementing each other. The mystery is in no way straightforward and there are a lot of things to uncover which kept my interest up and meant that it is not easy to guess what happened.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Feb 2011
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I didn't have anything else to read however, so I did persevere. I'm glad I did, because the style improved, and the plot was quite well put together. It's a moderately good ghost story, fairly engaging, and okay for a light undemanding bit of entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars New England Gothic revival, 12 Feb 2010
I have read all of Carol Goodman's novels, and this is my favourite. It's a little differnt from her others, which are more akin to Dan Brown for academics. This is a beautifully written ghost story with a dialogic narrrative that keeps you in suspense throughout. The mix of contemporary and historical is excellent. Goodman is a master of her craft. I don't want to spoil it for you so I won't say any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Oct 2010
I've previously read The Lake of Dead Languages and Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman, and I really really loved both of them, and would give them both 5 stars. The only reason I don't give this 5 is because I don't feel it's as deep as the others, and at times the story wasn't quite as gripping as the others I've read. However it is still a fantastic book, very well written, and with the usual twists I've come to expect from the author! I'm looking forward to reading more of her books (all of which I got recently!), and I would recommend them to anyone, in fact I already have - my Grandma, just proves that anyone of any age will love Goodman's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful book, 2 Mar 2011
I wish I had not bothered but I opened the book whilst on holiday in Germany and had access to nothing else. Stodgy, implausible, silly book.

4.0 out of 5 stars great read!, 14 Feb 2011
Just finished this book- initially i found it hard to get into, but stuck with it. Glad I did actually, as once i did i couldnt put the book down! Its the first i have read by this author, and i was impressed enough to order another of hers! she is descriptive in such a way that you actually feel the atmosphere and emotion. I liked this book because its something a bit different from the usual chick-lit types of books which seem to be around in abundance. im not adverse to stories involving women/love/relationmships etc, as long as they have that 'extra' something, which is different, and thought provoking. This book has it!! i loved the way the book went from the past to the present and vice- versa. Stick with this book- snuggle down next to the fire and enjoy! A good winter read.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost Orchid, 26 July 2010
Found this book to be slow going at first but it soon picked up. A very atmospheric and chilling tale.

The Ghost Orchid (Wheeler Hardcover)
The Ghost Orchid (Wheeler Hardcover) by Carol Goodman (Hardcover - 10 May 2006)
Used & New from: £0.40