5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for a nine-year-old reluctant reader.
I buy the Smurfs series for my daughter.

We started collecting this series when she was eight, and a slow reader. She never had the interest in books like her older sister. In fact she said she 'did not want to read', that was ' her sister's job'.

So we landed on this clever french series, as 'something different'.

In the 12 months we have...
Published 8 months ago by Sally Ann Melia

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, terrible translation
Published 2 days ago by R J Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for a nine-year-old reluctant reader., 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Smurfs 18 The Finance Smurf, The (Smurfs Graphic Novels) (Paperback)
I buy the Smurfs series for my daughter.

So we landed on this clever french series, as 'something different'.

In the 12 months we have been reading these books, collecting the entire set. We have become smurf - addicts. More importantly Hazel has become a competent reader, and has completed the Harry Potter series and now reads pretty much anything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, terrible translation, 25 April 2015
The story gets 5 stars: this is the Smurfs at their best, parodying human nature. However, it loses two stars for being such a terrible translation. Frankly, I'm not sure how they could have made such a mess of it. In places it's very colloquially American, and in others it feels too much like a direct translation, which is jarring a detracts from the story, but the main problem is that the Smurfs just don't talk like Smurfs... If you knew the previous translations of the books, you'll know what I mean.

Smurfs 18 The Finance Smurf, The (Smurfs Graphic Novels)