5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - well worth the price, 5 Nov 2003
"Process improvement. Yayyyyyyyy!!!!! Snore." That's what I thought when I was told we'd be doing a process re-engineering project in work. Then I saw Alec Sharpe present at a conference in London where he shamelessly plugged his book (and why not, as Barry Norman might say).
I bought the book read it in 3 days and was impressed that Alec Sharpe and Patrick McDermott had managed to mix possibly one of the dullest topics in the world with a large amount of humour, bordering at times on the laugh-out-loud mirthful in places.
The book gives a great sense of context and historical relevance of processes and then moves on into a very well written and informative treatise on the use of Work-flow modelling and the common pitfalls (and not so common pitfalls) that people could, should and must avoid in order to keep it simple and make it successful.
Others in my office who borrowed (a polite word for STOLE) my copy also found it very instructive and provided valuable pointers.
This book will definitely not be propping up the leg of my coffee table in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on process thinking, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Workflow Modeling: Tools for Process Improvement and Application Development (Hardcover)
Good practice for IT Business Analysts is to use Business Process & Workflow Modelling to drive analysis and design. The main driver is to increase the transparency and flexibility of systems we build/maintain i.e. don't bury important workflow and business rules knowledge deep in the bowels of some system.

All this means we are creating workflow models and this book will make you infinitely better at it then you are now. It is a treasure trove of practical tips and techniques that you will use every day. Buy it, read it, do it. Then read and refer to it again and again and keep getting better at what you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book for practitioners, 17 Jun 2012
Workflow modelling is a very accurate name

Every year I buy a number of technical or academic books to expand my knowledge for my work.

What these books don't do is tell you HOW to go about doing the things they intellectualise on.

This book provides an excellent - unparalleled - description of HOW to go about modeling business processes in real-life

It is:
* exceptionally well writeen - clear, concise, well planned
* written by people who know how to impart knowledge - there ARE techiques for this that DO work
* well produced - good paper, clear font, EXCELLENT diagrammtic examples
* humane and ethical - the authors obviously value people and the work they do as much as - actually more than - the proceses they wrok within (suffer within?)
* practical - provides not only a framework - but examples, tips, experiences, advice, guidelines.

This is one of the best business books I have read in the last decade.

If you need to work on Business Processes (in any way) with users and stakeholders - don't hesitate - buy this book. It will change your life.... (your work life I mean!)

Every Senior Manager should be acquainted with its contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, Practical with a sense of humour., 15 May 2014
The chapters are well organised and contain steps for practical use. The examples of models used are ample and give a wide breadth of understanding. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Excelent!, 6 Sep 2012
Lazarov Pavel - See all my reviews
This is the book I needed!
I found a suggestion to read it in a PowerPoint presentation speaking about "How process modeling save our project from failure". I was new in my job and I was searching for an easy explanation of "what a business process is", "where to consider it's start and end" and "how to describe the process best". Here there are the answers - written in clear and easy to read way.
I recommended it to all my colleagues and "consultants" (today I know much more than them in this field!). And I recommend it to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, 14 Aug 2010
Not a very theoretical book, but there are still enough references to see how it links with theory. Nice approach. Practical and easy to read.

Workflow Modeling: Tools for Process Improvement and Application Development