Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2013
The book is fine. My grumble is this is the American version of Scottish Heritage Knits, which I already have. Amazon are suggesting that you might want to buy both together! You won't need to.
on 24 February 2013
I have the other version of this book ' Scottish Heritage Knits' which according to Amazon hasn't been published yet, but I somehow managed to buy it in John Lewis! I was attracted by the cover photo and am making the cover sweater although so far I have found 2 mistakes in the fairisle charts, and mistakes in the shaping of the sleeve. There are some nice designs in this book although I probably wouldn't make more than 2 or 3 of them. Wouldn't recommend for beginners.
on 22 February 2013
I bought this book because of the 2 sweaters on the cover. I like the use of color in these examples. I was expecting more of this in the book. Well, these are the best of the lot.

First, the good:
* The use of color in the designs is nice, not old fashioned, but not way-out fashion either. These are nice wearable designs with very nice use of color in traditional patterns.
* The color charts are large and very clear.
* The silhouettes are modern. No slouchy drop shouldered baggie sweaters here.
That's where it ends.

Now, the bad:
* Who is Martin Storey and what's his story? Why has he been chosen to design all these sweaters for the publisher? What makes him special? I couldn't believe that I opened the front cover and there was the first sweater design! NOTHING about the author. NOTHING about anything. This book is just a series of patterns. Period. I was surprised and disappointed by this. I wanted to read about the designer's inspiration, design process, ANYTHING.
* All of the cabled designs are written out in text. No charts. You must be kidding. There's no way I'm going to read a pattern like this and decipher all that text. The publishers could have at least included both text and charts. I doubt very much I'll spend the time to chart them myself. They aren't that amazing or special.

I'll keep this book for the couple of sweater patterns that are really beautiful and interesting, but I will think twice before buying another book from Interweave Press sight unseen.
on 12 March 2013
This pattern book is going to given to my mother as it is more for her generation than mine. I must say like others I saw a few photos of the knits in Rowan Magazine and thought it was a good book to invest in, I was disappointed. There's no way I am going to invest time and effort for such uninspiring knits.
on 3 May 2016
I have looked for this forever in the American published edition, however, it was way too expensive. It's not that I wanted the actual publication, but rather, the patterns! After all, I am a knitter. Finding the UK edition at a reasonable price was terrific and I can't wait to start on this collection of what I consider some of Martin Storey's finest work!
on 23 February 2015
Love the book ... not the edition I thought I ordered but had the pattern I wanted in it so no worries ...

Thanks.
on 2 April 2013
I love Martin Storey's designs and so couldn't wait to get my mitts on this book. I am not disappointed. There is none I would not knit. The colour schemes are inspiring and the designs stunning. The only draw back is that Rowan yarns tend to be on the pricey side but as they say, 'you get what you pay for'. I think this book would even encourage the novice knitter to give progressing from stripes to multiple colours a go.
on 15 June 2015
Beautiful Baook.
on 30 October 2013
Although I only really like a couple of the patterns enough to make them, the one I am currently making will take me the rest of my life to knit (hopefully not)
on 24 April 2013
really nice patterns, modern in style on a traditional theme. I think I will start on something small & sit quietly with it!!